CairnTalk

I may live on a farm - but that doesn't make me a farm dog.

Dempsy's Mom

I have to share a story with you. All my life I have been working with animals - it seems that I can't get away from them. We are in the midst of calving. The heifers (first time calvers) we put in the barn every night. The cows are calving out in the pasture. One old cow looked like she was going to calve, so we brought her up to the barn. It has been muddy and chilly at night, not ideal for newborns. Jim checked on her in the wee hours of the morning. He saw she had given birth to one little baby calf, rather a scrawny little thing. :confused1: When I went out to let the heifers out of the barn in the morning, I was shocked to see 3 little calves!!! :thumbsup: Come to find out they were all girls! (Peanut, PeeWee and Penelope) The chances of a cow giving birth to triplets of the same sex is 1 out of 700,000.She gave birth all by herself, all we did was provide the shelter. They are all healthy little calves and now they all have their own mothers. We had two heifers that had lost their calves so we put two of the triplets on them. I took Dempsy out to take a picture with all three babies and that was asking a little much. Demps isn't to crazy about cows. Looking at them through the fence is about as good as it gets. So today I took him him out to take a picture with just Penelope. The smallest of the triplets. Demps thought that was ok, but let's not make this a habit either. Demps says, "I may live on a farm but that doesn't make me a farm dog." :P

(If you want to see all three babies)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

How wonderful :blush: Dempsy has a definate expression of "Get me out of here" :shy:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

Demps has that Cairn, "I'm not so sure I like this place!" look about him--but I'm sure, being a Cairn, most of the look was the result of just not wanting to be bothered by it all. Great shots.

Oh my goodness - that video is just wonderful. You must love the life you live - seeing new life come into the world. I imagine it can be harsh at times but so rewarding when moments like this happen. Poor little Demps - he doesn't look like a farmer either :crybaby: I was actually born on a farm myself - although I have no recollection but I've always felt at home on one. Thanks for posting such a great story.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I was brought up on a farm too and love all animals. Demps is definitely thinking get me out of here but wonderful photo's and video!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Wonderful photos and video! Dempsey and the girls are simply adorable! :wub: You should have seen my Murphy when he heard the cow in your video. He jumped up in my lap and kept cocking his head from side to side as he listened and watched. :)

Congratulations on the triplets! What a surprise you must have had! Thank you for sharing the video. Good for you, Demps. You were a brave boy!

Great video and I love Dempsy's expression in the pics. How special to have such an unusual occurrence on your farm! Congratulations!

Demps has a very expressive face! Great photos and how amazing for you to get the triplets!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

I loved the video and pictures! Congratulations on the triplets they look great. Demps doesn't look so thrilled but was still a good sport. Good job Demps!

Baby calves are generally little sweet hearts. There are a few of them that seems to have the devil bred in them, but normally baby calves are just so innocent & naive. These little triplets are especially docile. When they are born and you are with them from the start of their life, they do not see you as a threat. All of the triplets are curious and want to see what you're up to. Two of them are outside now with their moms and they come running over to you, they get a scratch and go darting away kicking up their heals. They do not see dogs as a threat yet. That is until their mom tells them differently. Mother cows are not near as tolerant of dogs. We have coyotes in the pastures and they do not like any thing that looks like a dog anywhere near there babies. But baby calves are curious. I never let Demps near the mamas. But now I should add, the cows also seems to know when a dog is a threat. Digger is out there all the time and the cows come over and sniff at her through the fence. They seem to enjoy her company. My other dog, Tater, who has since passed -the cows loved talking to her and there was no threat or fear. Cows are very social beings.

The mother cow, that had the triplets, seems to have a hard time cleaning. We have given her antibiotics. Called the vet today and they suggested some oxytosin (sp?) that's supposed to tighten her uterus up and maybe that will help her clean. She just isn't feeling good, so I am a little worried about her, but the babies are all goers.

Oh my, I have rambled. Sorry.

PS: Like any animal it is mostly about how you treat the animal. Some of our neighbors herds; I wouldn't turn my back on some of those cattle. And I am proud to say; if I were a cow - I would want to be on a farm like ours.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

We never had more than a few cows at one time, but we always halter trained our calves and had them walking on dog leashes. They were so sweet! Sounds like you treat yours like I remember.

Packy loves cows and gets really excited when he sees all black ones. Why he only barks at the black ones, I don't know, but he seems to like them the best. We take him to see the cows at my sister's farm and once he gets to the fence, he's not as sure he likes them as well... Unless I hold him, then he's brave again!

Hope momma cow gets to feeling better!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thanks for your excellent description of the cow-dog relationship. I don't know exactly what it does, but I believe Oxytocin is a drug used to induce labor in human females. It stimulates contractions, which would help clean out mama cow's uterus. I hope she's feeling better soon!

Oh my, I have rambled. Sorry.

Oh please don't feel like you're rambling -- I have never lived on a farm and find all of this fascinating. :thumbsup: I've always loved horses and cows and often wondered what it would be like to live on a farm. It is surprising thou how many members have.

I do hope the mother cow improves - it must have been tough on her as it doesn't sound too common giving birth to triplets.

Archived