CairnTalk

Talking about Cairn Coats

pindrop

I've often wondered what color Layla is considered - although there is some black, when you lift the hair, the black seems to be only on the surface, not at the root. No matter where I lift the hair, it appears to be almost a beige/light tan color. I am attempting to attach a pictures of Layla taken the other day while she is reposing, in a beam of sunlight, along with a picture of her father and mother.

post-5021-0-01796400-1298661498_thumb.jp

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Looks Wheaten like her Mom--both of mine, which I consider to be wheaten, have some black hair throughout their coats but not enough to shade the dogs darker. In any case, at Layla's age it is probably premature to speculate too much, she will probably change some color wise.

What would Layla be considered? An absolute darling, that's what! She looks wheaten to me, too, but who knows what the future will bring. :)

What would Layla be considered? An absolute darling, that's what! She looks wheaten to me, too, but who knows what the future will bring. :)

You are just prejudiced cause you're her aunt! :whistle:

You got me! When I look at those innocent Cairn eyes I can't help myself!

You got me! When I look at those innocent Cairn eyes I can't help myself!

"Innocent" Cairn eyes? "Innocent"? Captivating maybe but never "Innocent"!

The word innocent doesn't spring to mind when you talk about a Cairn laugh.gif Layla looks wheaten to me too. Scruffy is wheaten and has never changed except maybe he is going lighter. His dad wad wheaten and his mum was red brindle and I suppose there's time yet for his colour to change. The only thing that has changed is the black splodge around his nose, that's almost disappeared.

Gosh I can't believe how much Layla has grown. What a sweetie she is!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Layla is beautiful! It looks like she is wheaten and will look more like her mama. My first dog had lots of black fur as a puppy but it didn't grow from the root. As he aged, the black disappeared and he was all wheaten except for a dark beard.

Zekey's Mom - I never really noticed that her ears were fuzzy but after looking at her laying on the floor you are right. I took a second look at Layla's mom and she too has fuzz so maybe it's inherent. I remember when I first saw the pups with their little tiny tiny ears and asked the breeder if that was normal - and she laughed. Now I look at them honkers and wonder how they grew so large and quickly. Keeping my fingers crossed that she WILL grow into them. :thumbsup: (and hubby wanted to put popsicle sticks and elastic bands before they stood up - gad zooks!)

Well like others said, mom is Wheaten and dad is a brindle. When I look at Layla I see that the very end of her tail is black and the rest is wheaten.

So depending on if she has the brindle gene from her sire, all bets are off on adult color. She'll either say wheaten, or go through color changes.... what a lovely surprise for you.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Napoleon had a lot of black ends when a pup but now he is a hweathen(blondie) as my dughter calls him

First of all, I love the two-tonedness of her coat!

Second of all, I love this concept! WallE looks black, but close up, he has a LOT of lighter colours throughout his coat. Id love to hear some of your opinions on his coat as well! And maybe some tips on which hairs being the ones to pull!

Edit:

Ive added links to extreme closeups of him :)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184949_10150098982753059_502218058_6440433_2854433_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/188662_10150098983018059_502218058_6440442_6564839_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183096_10150098983108059_502218058_6440445_5502440_n.jpg

(Id like to point out that spell check is saying colours is spelled wrong with the u in it :P crazy canucks we are!)

Puntuation MAKES the post

Archived