CairnTalk

Looking For A Baby Girl In Idaho

Rosebud

I lost my companion and bestest friend Patty (cairn terrier) of 16 blissful years. After much soul searching, have decided that “life isn’t life without a Cairn”!!! I am searching for a breeder in Idaho, Oregon, Washington or Nevada. Thank you sooo much for your help!!! Kathy (kcomstock3@netzero.net)

Why bless your heart! I know the pain. A new Cairn puppy will go a long way to cure the heartache--it sure has for me a couple of times.

There used to be a very good breeder in Twin Falls and I think she is registered with the National Cairn Association and there are a couple in the Butte, Montana area. Also up around Spokane.

None over here in East Idaho that I am aware of. My older dog came out of New Plymouth but I don't recommend the breeder although the dog is a wonderful Cairn.

I actually was looking in Northern Utah before I got my Bonnie (Missouri) and couldn't find any litters.

Hang in there, be patient, you will find a dog.

Hi Rosebud I am so sorry about your loss. I think we have all been there and agree with Idaho Cairn on the best medicine is another puppy. It's amazing how empty a house can be once you have lost your furbaby. Sorry I cannot help in your search as I live on the east coast but good luck and we would love to hear back from you and of course see pictures eventually.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I know there are 3 or 4 in the Seattle area. Check the breeders list on the Club page.

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

Sorry for your loss. I am happy that you are diving into another Cairn family member. Good luck on your puppy search!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Not surprisingly since they are the host of this very site, I strongly recommend that you focus your efforts on breeders listed at the Cairn Terrier Club of America <a href="http://members.ctca.us/home.php/breeder-referral" class="bbc_url" title="" rel="nofollow">breeder referral</a> link at the top of this page (that is, members of the US parent club for the breed in the United States), then secondarily on breeders who are at minimum members of a local club - preferably one of the 11 <a href="http://www.cairnterrier.org/affiliates/" class="bbc_url" title="">regional affiliated Cairn clubs</a> or at least a local all-breed club. <br><br>I look at some of the breeders that turn up in general web searches and to be honest it makes me queasy.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I would agree with Brad's advice. Nothing is more satisfying all things considered than dealing with a professional breeder--everything they stand for is what you want for yourself and your dog. You may pay more and the search may be more frustrating but the results are worth the effort.

Interestingly, I have seen some that "queasy" that Brad speaks to recently--two rescue Cairns in Colorado that had been sold as Norwich Terriers to unsuspecting buyers. Horror of horrors, in order to make the Cairn resemble a Norwich, the puppies' tails had been docked and both dogs had been subject to DNA testing to expose the fraud. I find that repulsive because it does such a disservice to the Cairn breed. I actually saw an instance of this three years ago in a campground in Arizona--we were camped near a couple that had an absolutely beautiful Merle colored Cairn puppy--very unusual color that was just tremendous in combination with the little thing's obvious Cairn personality. I complimented the owner on his Cairn and he looked at me with horror and said, "Why this is a Norfolk Terrier, just got him from a breeder in Iowa!". No way that dog was anything other than a Cairn but I kept my mouth shut and just marveled at how wonderful the dog was and how disappointed that owner was going to be eventually and I have wondered every since how that little thing fared once the ruse was discovered. In this case, the breeder had not docked the tail, relying on the ignorance of the buyer to abet the fraud.

Tho I haven't always agreed with the advice I will give on the topic, I now believe that if you want to lessen the chance of being disappointed with your puppy you should seek out a professional Cairn breeder and/or an experienced and serious Cairn "Hobby Breeder"--someone that knows the breed and is serious about producing the best possible product. You will pay more and have to subject yourself to more scrutiny (so hard for a lot of us--particularly me)and may even be rejected by a breeder because you don't meet their standard of ownership, but in the long run the benefit you get from your puppy will be worth the work and patience you have to endure.

Cairn Terriers simply aren't for everyone, hard for those of us that love the breed to accept because we know how well these little dogs fit into most situations, and good breeders understand that and do cull potential owners, something I now celebrate.

There is a complaint management committee that looks into complaints received via the corresponding secretary (there is a link provided). Likewise it says "The CTCA is interested in your input, and will remove breeders from the list if cause exists." If complaints were sustained then the breeder wouldn't be listed. Thus the ones listed are members in good standing.

Note - in some cases a breeder listed may not be actively breeding at this moment. For example, my wife is listed but we are not currently breeding. However my wife routinely answers questions about the breed, helps people figure out if a Cairn is suitable for them and vice versa, steers them toward breeders we know in the area who might have a current litter, an upcoming litter, or perhaps a rescue or adult placement, etc. Our emphasis is on the referral part more than the breeding part.

I once asked a long-time breeder why she wasn't active online (as she could add so much great knowledge and experience) - she told me she already does this, but on the phone every day. I'm a slow learner, but that's when it dawned on me that just because I am more comfortable online than on the phone, other people were clearly just the opposite. I stopped pouting about how few CTCA members participate on Cairn Talk as a result. (Not really, I still pout about it :lol: ) However, they are doing what they can, in the best way they can. Maybe the next generation will be more active online publicly.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Update: A breeder in my home state has contacted me and she is going to be in my home town today! She is bringing the puppies here to have them graded. I'm going to see the litter tonight.....I'm soooo excited I can't stand it!!! Thank you all for your support in my quest!!!

P.S. I am "hoping" and "holding the faith" that I will be able to post pictures tomorrow! :party:

Update: I went to see the puppies.....soooo cute!!! BUT, the little girl graded out for show quality so not for sale anymore. :crybaby: Breeder had 3 boys for sale, but my heart is on a baby girl. So onward and upward. I have been able to contact other breeders in neighboring states......thanks to your suggestions!!! They have babies coming up in a few months so that is exciting. If anyone knows of puppies that are ready, please let me know :)

Archived