CairnTalk

Flooring decision made

Fudgie

I had asked earlier about what kind of flooring everyone had in their homes with their cairns. I was thinking hard about laminate wood. Luckily it snowed and Fudgie tracked in snow everywhere. I left a couple of samples in front of "her" door and let a little snow melt overnight. Glad I did. It curled every seam on the laminate! This was also one of the better ones made. I am so glad I did this. I would have been sick if I had spent a huge amount of money on this only to have this happen later on. I have let common sense take over and I have now decided on a nice wood look vinyl sheet for the family room and kitchen. Still going to pick carpet for my living room, as we do need a space for zoomies!

So, here is why I chose not to go with laminate and why I am picking sheet vinyl that will take abuse! I am picking my floors for my cairn, I am a sick person, but I know you guys understand!

FudgieSnow.jpg

Smart move. As I stated in the earlier thread, our laminate did exactly what your experiment showed to be the problem--it curled up at the joints after several years of use and I would never recommend laminate flooring for any purpose in a home.

I think you have made the right decision for the dogs and for yourself--vinyl is a good alternative--easy to maintain and durable and the carpet will give the dog purchase when it needs to do speed trials--which, as we know, are vital to Cairn existence.

That makes sense and there are so many vinyls to choose from. My mom put in a stone look vinyl that is almost commercial quality and it will last forever. Yesterday I was cleaning my carpet and it will hopefully be for the last time. House guests arrive in six days and big party in ten days so no time to replace it all now. Our tear out will involve slab grinding and floating so tons of mess. Our cairns love chaos so they will have fun.

I think you have made the right decision for the dogs and for yourself--vinyl is a good alternative--easy to maintain and durable and the carpet will give the dog purchase when it needs to do speed trials--which, as we know, are vital to Cairn existence.

I have actually considered covering part of the basement floor with indoor-outdoor carpeting and starting blocks for this specific purpose. :P

I like good old fashion natural wood floors. I know I can always fix a wood floor, a little sandpaper... stain..a dab of sealant and you're good to go!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Don't feel bad about picking flooring out for a dog - I traded my Roadster for an Outback because Kirby didn't have room to lay down! It's all about the dog! :blush: Got to love the changes they bring to your life!

Don't feel bad about picking flooring out for a dog - I traded my Roadster for an Outback because Kirby didn't have room to lay down! It's all about the dog! :blush: Got to love the changes they bring to your life!

We traded our Z3 convertible for an Outback because Packy didn't like to ride in the convertible!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Of course we understand! I remember all the angst I created as a father making my kids pick up their toys before they went to bed and now, every night, I dutifully go around the living room and kitchen picking up the dogs' toys, without complaint!

Of course we understand! I remember all the angst I created as a father making my kids pick up their toys before they went to bed and now, every night, I dutifully go around the living room and kitchen picking up the dogs' toys, without complaint!

Hopefully your kids don't read this forum and they will never know what you wouldn't do for them, you will do for a canine! :P

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Hopefully your kids don't read this forum and they will never know what you wouldn't do for them, you will do for a canine! :P

That's already out--I have caught a ration from all four of my kids about how I treat the girls as compared with how they were treated. Course I remind them that neither dog talks back, leaves empty milk cartons in the fridge, or is on the phone when I need to use it.

I like good old fashion natural wood floors. I know I can always fix a wood floor, a little sandpaper... stain..a dab of sealant and you're good to go!

As I'm typing this, workmen are putting the finishing touches on the wood floor in the entry, dining area and small foyer. After getting flooring opinions here, I had the old (stinky) carpeting removed and the oak floors sanded and sealed. I went with a low-gloss finish, (better to conceal scuff & skid marks, I hope).

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Idaho Cairns - I have to tell you that whenever you make a post or comment, I usually come away smiling (not just your answer but the wording used and thought process.) I can relate to your comment on your kids as opposed to your two girls. I too raised a daughter and made sure that at the end of the day - all things were neat and tidy and thought my motherly instincts in making her clean up her toys were giving her habits for her lifetime. Yet, here I am, as you say, cleaning up each evening all Layla toys that seem to get scattered all over the great room each evening. Strange how things in life never change. Only difference between you and me - my daughter doesn't know. :thumbsup:

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Archived