CairnTalk

Snow Storm

pindrop

Oldfox took a few pictures during our latest snowstorm. Pretty picture of the side of the wood shed with an unbelievable amount of snow piled up. I took Layla out into it and this is what she looked like when we got back in. Can you say snow balls?

post-5021-0-91947800-1297190260_thumb.jp

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Yes ScruffyMag - but yesterday, she managed three times to get away from me while on her leash. The first time I clipped her leash onto a carabiner hook and she tore open her circle ring on her collar. The second time, the collar slipped over her head (obviously not tight enough - it sure is now) and the third time I was changing hands on the leash and she lunged foward. Thank goodness each time she came directly back to me (my heart thudding a mile a minute.) Last night, I went onto e-bay and bought a puppia harness - hopefully that will do the trick. Her neck and neck muscles have thickened considerably and I don't ever want to underestimate her strength.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Looks like she got into a snowball fight and lost :blush:

That picture is so hilarious.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Very cute pics - love the snowball faced Layla. It's an awful feeling when they get away, Radar did the same to me. He also yanked the leash and I lost my grip. My heart skipped a few beats until I got him. Phew!

Pindrop. Petco has a "sport harness" it is soft, wraps around so she can step in, comes up over her back and has male/female clamps, then you connect the leash to the strap hooks. When they pull like a demon from hell - they won't hurt their necks! Kirby has about jerked me off my feet a couple of times - the other great thing is it has reflector fabric so you can see the little demon if you shin a light on it - we wear it all the time when we're walking - cars can see us and if he gets away - I could pick up the harness with a flashlight! I've seen them on-line as well. It's the best harness we've found.

Great snow face photo!

Sounds like Layla's been working out, eh? It's amazing how strong Cairns are considering their size. And they're very crafty when it comes to slipping collars and catching you at unawares. You're probably lucky that the snow is deep right now and Layla can't get to full speed. :whistle:

Pegi never goes for a walk without her harnass! She's also a puller, and it has taken care of that problem.

Nice snowballs. Your snow must have gone down over the past few days; it's scary when 40 degrees feels so warm!

Linda & Pegi

Cute pic. Layla is a charm. Poor Demps wants to go out so bad, but when we do venture out he just can't stand the cold on his feet. He beats me back to the door and decides, for a while, that being indoors has its perks. I can't remember a colder winter. 30 below this morning - but supposed to get into the high 30's this week. :) That's South Dakota weather for ya. Demps and I are ready for the season to change.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Perhaps I have some new that will cheer you up. I saw a huge flock of robins today at work. Here we are in Chicagoland, February 8th, high of 9 degrees today, 18" of snow on the ground and . . . robins! They gather at a spot outside our office every spring to eat fruit off the trees. (Don't know what kind of trees they are but the red berries stay on the trees all winter.) It HAS to be a good sign! :)

We have one of the sports harnesses from petco for Kenzie! It works awesome. During the winter, when my little actress likes to shiver so much, we use the nylon turnout from Foggy Mountain dog coats. They're pricey, but Kenzie has had hers for 2 1/2 years. It's warm, water proof and can be used a harness.

BTW, the pictures are great! Layla does look like she lost at a snow ball fight!

The only thing better than owning a Cairn is owning two!

What a trooper!

To condition Layla for recalls, practice with a meat flavored baby food, which is the likened to puppy crack. Only use it for recalls because it is a super special treat. I learned this in Puppy I training. Funny thing...you could always tell what training class you went to when you hear all the people at the dog park yelling "Fido, COME" and waving around Gerber's jars. whistle.gif

Archived