CairnTalk

Sassy the Kong Speed Queen

remltr

A couple months back I bought Sassy a couple of Kong red rubber dog bones. On each end is an opening where you can stuff treats that your pooch has to gnaw on in order to retrieve the treat. I stuffed them with baby carrots that fit really snug, hard to get out.

Then about a month ago I noticed that they sold treat balls that you stuffed with the treats also sold by Kong. Got three of those.

They are both great because it keeps Sassy busy while I do something I want to do and not leaving me feeling guilty that I was ignoring her while I do my thing. They are also great for the teeth.

In the beginning it would take Sassy up to 45 minutes to work out the carrots and maybe an hour to dig out the treats in the ball. Well she is down to 4 and 5 minutes respectively. :whistle: What the h e double hockey sticks do I do now? :surrender:

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

haha...they keep telling us these Cairns are smart - now the proof is in the pudding. All I can say is you better move fast in the things you need to do as your time is now reduced to 4 or 5 minutes respectively. :whistle: On a more serious note, I have heard that there are toys out there that challenge them, unfortunately I have no idea what they are called - but I'm sure other members will offer their ideas. Good luck!

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Packy really loves his treat ball, a big, orange rubbery thing that I fill with his kibble. He has to roll it around the house to get the food to come out. If I use dried liver as a special treat, I make sure the treats are big enough that they don't all come out easily. He loves the ball and it's a toy that he doesn't chew up because he wants to keep using it.

Bully sticks are their ultimate treat and chewy. That will keep them busy for quite a while, although Kirby does always try to hide them in our pillows when he first gets them. Yucko -- that would make for a smelly bedtime for us! But they love them.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Heheh Do you know HOW many times I've gone to work and found a bone or a bully stick in my purse?? LOL Great hiding spot wallE! But please find them again before I leave!!

Puntuation MAKES the post

I should have mentioned that I do give Sassy bully sticks, but she only gets one on Friday nights, sort of the week is over kind of thing. She can't seem to crack the speed barrier on those. Thank God she doesn't hide it, she finishes it off in one sitting. Thanks for reminding me though, because I need to order some more for her.

As I get older, it's kind of hard to speed things up in an attempt to keep up with her chewing abilities :(

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Archived