CairnTalk

a 2nd cairn...M or F?

Brodie's buddy

Hello, I have been viewing your forum for a while and have just registered. So, I hope I do this correctly. I have a male cairn, Brodie, he's 15 months old . I would like to get a 2nd one. I am so impressed with the breed and soooo happy with Brodie!! I feel he would benifit to have a friend to be with while I am at work. (Plus I would just love to have 2! I have noticed that on your forum it seems if someone has 2 or more they are girls. I haven't noticed anyone having 2 males. If I am not mistaken in this observation...is it not a good idea to have 2 males(even if they were both neutered?) please, any insites or experience, or thoughts would be MUCH appreciated. I do not want to do anything to make my Brodie's world unhappy. Thank you.

I don't know about 2 males together, but when we were searching for a second female, we were told not to have 2 females together. I even had one breeder refuse to give me her female puppy because she thought that it was not a good idea to put 2 females together. We searched for a few more months and found a breeder that had females for adoption. In fact, she has 3 females in her home! I know that females get along better if they are both spade (sp?). I would think it would be the same for males. I think it also depends on the personality of your dog. My 2 year old is very passive and easy going. She is not a barker and doesn't get excited easily. She also gets along well with other dogs.

Does your dog play with other dogs? Does he like being with other dogs? How does he react to you giving attention to another dog?

Sorry I don't have any males to help you with, but I hope I helped a little!

I have 2 Cairns, a 12 year old female and 18 month old male.

We, too, had heard it wasn't a good idea to have two of the same sex. So, we went with a male the second time around.

They both definitely have distinct personalities. Now whether that has to do with their sex??? I really couldn't tell you......

I would take Brodie along with you when choosing a puppy, if at all possible. Maybe he might 'help' make your decision??

Good luck!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

I also have 2 females although their age difference may be a factor why they get along so well....11 years and 1 year. I'm now getting a male puppy.

I think talking with breeders may help you as to what's best. But be forewarned.....you start with one Cairn, then you want a second and then BAM, you find yourself with three!! :shock:

I also started with a male and would've chosen to get another male because I am told they are more lovey, but it was suggested that two males would fight more often and have more power struggles so we got a little girl and they get along beautifully.

I do have a girlfriend who has three Cairns and they are all girls and do fine together, I tend to think the girls do better in groups than the males, not sure tho...

good luck with whatever you decide!

Thank you so much for the replies. My Brodie, is wonderful. He's calm, most of the time, he plays well with others,(human and canine) he's so smart (of course fellow-cairn-owners know that) . I feel bad that he has to be alone while I'm @ work and I too would love to have 2. :-) Brodie's buddy.

Guest abbycairn

Brodie's Buddy,

There is a saying that, "dogs fight for breeding rights, bitches fight for breathing rights" -- it's why most breeders would recommend your second dog should be the opposite sex. And why most breeders think that putting two bitches together has more potential for trouble than two male dogs together.

On the other hand, I've had four bitches together with no problem. There is a Yorkie and Westie, both males, down the street from me and they sit, butts touching, looking down the driveway almost every day.

Now I have a two Cairns, a dog and a bitch, as I thought it best to follow the generally recommended advice.

Stacey

Archived