CairnTalk

RIP Lenni

cairnrescueleague

Rest in peace, Lenni Lenape. Lenni was a stud dog for 11 years, but came into rescue last year when his owners had to go into assisted living. He turned 13 in June, but was seemingly healthy until a routine blood test in mid-December showed that his kidneys were failing. He went into a downward spiral shortly after that, and we just weren't able to pull him out of it. I was with him yesterday morning when my vet sent him peacefully to the Bridge.

Before he was neutered at age 11, Lenni apparently had a reputation for being dog aggressive, but he was the least dog aggressive cairn I've known. He was my alpha, gently but firmly keeping the other dogs in line. He was an unobtrusive dog, but there is quite an absence, and the rest of the dogs know something has happened. He was only with me for a year and six days, but he made quite an impression.

post-1198-0-50903400-1295826343_thumb.jp

I'm sorry to hear about Lenni's passing. The picture of him shows a sweetness, that feels like you and your other foster's had experienced with him.

i'm very sorry to hear of this, what a handsome old gent he was. i fear your gang will feel leaderless for a while. he was so very, very lucky to find love and a home. whether it is for a year or a day or a lifetime is about the same to dogs, they have such a special appreciation for kindness and companionship wherever they find it. a year of love and belonging was a whole lifetime to him.

What a wonderful looking grandpa. I am sure in his eyes you were his world. :hug:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I am so very sorry to hear of Lenni's passing, but so happy to know he was surrounded by love when he made his journey to the Bridge. He was an adorable little fellow, and I know he will be deeply missed. :hug:

Lenni had a very wise, sweet looking face. He was lucky to share his last year with you and how awesome that he brought his alpha soul to your pack. Sorry for your loss - it sounds like his 371 days with you were very memorable.

Katie, I am so sorry you lost your grand old rescue, I know his passing is a sharp, sharp pain for you even after only a year. I takes a big heart indeed to welcome in dogs who have been lost to other humans or cast away by others and even big hearts like yours must absolutely break knowing how much you could have given if you had had the time.

But, like the others, I suspect that Lenni lived an awfully good year of his long life surrounded by other Cairns in a warm home. Farewell to a grand old Cairn!

I would just like to note how much I appreciate people like yourself that work so hard to keep and place these wonderful little terriers--in my mind, rescue folks are very special angels whom I hope God has a special regard for in the whole realm of humanity. What you do is so very important and so inherently good that a simple "thank you" doesn't seem adequate but it is all I have. Thanks for giving Lenni a good year and thanks for all the other Cairns you have helped over all the years.

It was such a blessing that you were there with Lenni. As much as we hate and dread this time in our lives, it offers the most honorable and loving experience in life. God bless you little Lenni. ..... God bless Cairn Rescue.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I am sorry to hear of Lenni's passing. He was very fortunate to have a wonderful home with you, even if it was for only a short period of time. He will be missed by the other in your home, but have comfort in knowing he has gone to better place. Thank you for all the work you do.

God bless you and the cairn rescue.

Katie, I'm sure that even though many, many Cairns pass into & out of your life, losing one like this is never easy. Lenni's year & 6 days with you may well have been the best time of his life. What a sweet looking boy he was, and perhaps his non-aggression while with you was his way of thanking you for taking him in. Bless you for doing what you do.

Jim & Connie

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Words are never adequate to express one's feeling. I too am honored and appreciate your good work and realize that without people like yourself, who open their homes and hearts to the plight of Cairns, they would be lost. It seems that no matter how long we know these little creatures they creep into our hearts and their passing is always so deeply felt. My thoughs and prayers go out to you in your healing process.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Archived