CairnTalk

Cairns in Virginia (USA)

Guest T.C.

Hi:

We are looking to add either a Cairn or Border Terrier to our family. Looking for a small, portable companion dog that would enjoy camping with the family and is not a "frou-frou" dog. (Hubby's requirement :) ) Leaning towards the Cairns and interested in meeting any in Virginia to see if they are the right dog for us. We are not interested in exhibiting, just looking for a companion, however earthdog events look like fun...any coming up soon so we can see them in action?

Brief background - LOTS of k9 experience - parents were lifelong Boston Terrier fanciers (bred only two litters in 20 years - Bostons need C-section) so I grew up with the little beasties but generally preferred the larger dogs. Paternal aunt raised wire hair fox terriers (NJ) and uncle raised Harlequin danes in the early (Long Island) - both during the 70s. Tried Jr. showmanship as a youth, later exhibited Dals and Rotts - but lost interest after children. Recently enjoyed working in Schutzhund with our GSD. We have a 10 acre farm (horses, angora goats and chickens) - which is perimeter and cross fenced.

Please feel free to contact me at eklecticm00se@yahoo.com if you would like introduce/show off your dogs.

Once we are certain that the Cairn is right for us, we will be looking for a puppy. If you have an upcoming litter, please email.

Thank you!

The CTCA breeder referral page (www.cairnterrier.org/breeders) allows you to specify a state or click on a geographic area to locate breeders who are affiliated with the national breed club.

Example: Results for Virginia

Good luck with your search.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I can get you in Contact with the Breeder we got Abe from. The breeder is in the Southwest tip of the State (about 5 minutes from the TN line ) If you are interested. When we bought Abe I wasn't super impressed with the Facility but I feel we got a Great pet quality Dog at a reasonable price. He is very Smart and No signs of Physical Defect Other that some of His features wouldn't alow him in the show ring (Larger than normal ears and he is a little larger than Breed standard 20 pounds and a little over a year old). If you are interested post back and I will get you the information.

Thanks Abe's Dad and bradl - I've checked the Potomac club and there are lots of Cairn members in VA and MD. I would also like to here from the people who just enjoy Cairns as companions.

SW Virginia is actually quite far from us - MD and Northern VA are much closer. I would prefer to stay "local" (~2 hrs travel time) because it is easier to keep in touch and to find fun events the breeder may be active in. It was nice of you to tell us though. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest posting as: JakesMom_*

Hi,

I have enjoyed nearly three generations of Cairns. I am also looking for a puppy. I currently have a wonderful 7yo neutered male. I have been blessed with one who minds his manners and has always, always been healthy. Not so -with my last one. She had severe allergy problems.

I also live in Northern Virginia.

The breeder that I got my dog from is no longer in the breeding business. So sad.

But, I am going to go to the dog shows to ask and look. That is where I found my last breeder.

I truly enjoy Cairns and have had dogs all my life-several different breeds. I also used to be a pet-sitter -for fun

If you have any reservations about a Cairn - I can try to help.

I am a very passionate dog owner.

JakesMom

• 3 years later...

Hey everyone I am new here!

My family has had cairns since I was little and now I am adopting my own. Although we have always had females each of them has had a very different and unique personality. Some have been very sweet, gentle lap dogs, others have been more active and aloof, and one I swear we thought was a cat, because she liked to sleep on the back of the sofa. All in all they have been wonderful family members, have lived long lives and have brought us years of enjoyment.

Archived