CairnTalk

Cairn Whiskers

Rohnda

I am new to the forum so I hope I am posting in the right spot. Please re-direct me if I'm wrong. Thank you

I received my Cairn, Luigi two months ago as a birthday present. Wow, I never knew what I'd been missing. He is the most fun and loving dog I have ever had. I have lots of questions about the breed. Mostly they have been answered by reading through this forum. I can't find any information on the needle sharp whiskers that poke out of his adorable face. There seem to be one or two (at various times)on each side of the nose. These whiskers are the most sharp things I've ever encountered on any animal I've ever owned. I have owned lots of animals thru my life. Horses, dogs, cats, pigs, goats, rabbits... to name just a few. I understand the concept of whiskers. But I am wondering if Luigi is alone with these few sharp blades that he has. Thank you, Rohnda

post-5128-0-38370400-1295281321_thumb.jp

Welcome and thanks for sharing that wonderful picture! Luigi looks like a sweetheart! :wub:

I don't usually think about my Cairn's whiskers until Buffy's snout brushes against my face and I get poked by them. You're right -they're VERY stiff and prickly! I try to remember to trim them every few months but she doesn't like it at all.

Keep posting updated pics of your little fella. We LOVE puppies!

You're right, they are prickly! Those whiskers usually come out when I use the Mars Coat King on them. And sometimes I just trim them. I've even seen them come out with just a regular comb, because I seem to have to comb their faces quite often!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

One of my dogs has them and the other doesn't but, you are right, they are stiff and sharp! I have cut them in the past but that irritates Sammi so I usually leave them alone. As dog gets a little bit older, the whiskers turn down and conform with the general shape of the muzzle and you won't encounter the sharpness as much.

You have a pretty little Cairn by the way and I am glad you are enjoying him--as you will find out Cairns just get better and better the more you are around them--wonderful present, someone must really care for you a bunch to give such a gift!!!

Thanks hheldorfer, kjwarnold and Idaho for the response. I'm hoping that they do get softer with time. But if they turn downward as Luigi ages they will be less prickly. Though it doesn't stop us from loving on him!

Idaho, yes, my husband has a wonderful track record of buying gifts that go straight to my heart. Luigi was picked for numerous reasons. All and then some of which we love him for now!! Who knew? My husband is retired K-9 and we have only had German Shepherds and only loved German Shepherds and would never consider having anything else. It took us several years to get another dog after our last Shepherd died. In the beginning of our search for a dog we only looked at German Shepherds. But, we travel alot and have an rv that we just didn't want to share with a large dog. In researching Cairns one of their traits is that they love to walk/run/hike. Which we do a lot of. Having never even met one face to face that was Luigi's selling point for us.

Little did we know what a delight Cairns are. Other then the breeder we bought him from I have yet to come in contact with another Cairn. We have met plenty of people who stop us on our hikes and comment about the Cairn that they use to have. All have said what we feel. One of the best dogs they ever had. Certainly we have loved our other dogs but this guy holds a special spot in our hearts already.

Again, thanks for the information. I'm sure we will talk again in the future because I enjoy reading posts made to the forum.

Bradl-

Another thing that I have yet to read about is their teeth. Never have I had a dog who seems to have lost so many baby teeth. In fact, my other puppies in the past might lose a tooth while playing with a pull toy but this little guy has teeth dropping right and left. They really bothered him also. Once while he was napping on my bed I picked him up and there was fresh blood spots on the cover from his mouth. Hopefully the chew toys and sticks along with a nice ice cube to chew on helped him some. He lost another one just this morning. And talk about bad breath.... whew!! When his teething was at it's worse the smell was awful. This past week his breath has improved tremendously and I think he has lost most all his teeth. Good for him (and me too!). Morning breath didn't begin to describe his mouth!!

Welcome Rohnda to the forum. I love the name "Luigi" what a great little guy. I also have to comment on what a great gift from your husband. You are only beginning to find out some of the crazy things that make us love our cairns, there's so much more. Like the way they destroy their stuffed toys! Just finished watching mine rip the guts out of another toy. They really keep me amuzed with their crazy antics. And yes...whiskers are very sharp.

Rhonda, as you might have read, we RV regularly and actually bought the unit so we could take our Cairns with us when we traveled--we have never had a problem, Cairns are the right size, they don't get in the way traveling or in the campgrounds.

Cairns are truly "big dogs" in small packages--rugged as the dickens, healthy, they will go anywhere you go and they are capable of being very well mannered, so long as you train them to be so. Kind of a "no brainer" of a pet. Our last pup was quite the "teether" herself--I think the hanging baby teeth just irritate the dogs, as it does human kids when they lose their baby teeth but they heal quickly and then all those permanent teeth start coming in--they seem to go on forever but I am sure that Cairns don't have "extra" teeth, it does seem shark like at first!

They certainly aren't GSD's but they are smart like the breed--observant, watchful, and just as calculating. I'll bet you see some similarities down the line.

Enjoy and join us all as we sing praises, over and over, to these wonderful little dogs!

Welcome to this Forum Rhonda and Luigi. You will find a wealth of information shared by all. Tis a grand breed you have chosen :hug:

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hmmm. Dempsy doesn't have sharp whiskers. Now I feel like I am missing out. Oh well. Anyway, welcome! and your puppy is adorable - what a great gift. :)

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hi Rhonda! Welcome to you and Luigi - he sure is a cutie. Zekey's got the same camo vest.

Don't know about the whisker thing... Zekey's a mix, and either he doesn't have them or they're just soft. And a for Gavin, I don't dare put my face close enough to his to find out. Haven't felt them when I pet him either.

Huh that's funny. Louie has them. They are quite prickly. He likes to lay on my chest, very close to my face, and I've gotten one in the eye before. I just realized though, that Cuddles does not have them. I never noticed it until I read some say they didn't have them.

Luigi is cute!! Like you, I knew I wanted a Cairn because I had read about them. The first one I saw in "real life" was Louie and I fell instantly in love. I tell people all the time, he's better than a boyfriend. I just love him so much. We adopted Cuddles a year ago at the age of six, and she's great too, just more laid back and not as affectionate. Both are such smarties but goofballs too. Like my aunt said over Christmas "They just look so smart, you can see the intelligience in their eyes."

Archived