CairnTalk

Leash Walking

Chewybacca

I have a question... Does anyone have a Cairn that walks good on a leash? It could be all my fault for not being better about walking Chewy consistently, but he is an absolute bull when we walk! I am working on it more now because we have a second dog and they need it to get some of that energy out. Roxy is so small that its no big deal and she is younger so I am hoping she will conform, but I am pretty much convinced if I got myself a skate board they could take me for a pretty good ride!!

They both have harnesses and I say No Pull all through our walks! Any ideas to help greatly apreciated!!

When I used to walk Zoe, she started really pulling at the leash to the point that she was gasping for breath. I switched to a prong collar and within a day or two, she got the point. (no pun intended) It doesn't hurt them, and it's very effective. I plan on using it with Tucker when he's a little older, too.

thela

They get better as they get older.

My Winnie, 11, is wonderful on a leash. Walks along side me for the first 500'. Then I have to CARRY her for the rest of our walk! Ah....the good old days when she pulled me. :lol:

Chewbaca,

I have found with my guy that the more we walk him on the leash (with a harness, not a collar), the better he gets. We started leash training him as soon as we got him at 10 weeks of age. He is now 9 months old and is doing great with leash walking.

MikeC

Maggie is a terrible leash dog too. And I know she sort of knows how she is supposed to act on the leash b/c when I stop walking, she will stop and sit (I read that technique in a book). But she also knows that I will get tired of constantly stopping.

I should try the harness. I never thought that the collar was the issue, but maybe it is. She is just so independant and spoiled I just thought it was her being a little terd as usual.

Our little guy used to tug and pull all over the place. We first had a regular choker, which didn't seem to bother him one bit. He tugged and pulled, and we tugged and pulled back, until the choker broke one day and he took off. Luckily I caught him about a mile away, and ever since then, we switched to a harness. He tugged and pulled on the harness, but it was secure, and obviously it didn't bother him.

We were very worried at this point that if he ever got off the leash, or if any connections on the leash or harness broke, he'd take off again, and we might not be as lucky the next time, as he might get hit by a car, etc. etc. So we brought him to obedience (he had another problem which was agressiveness towards other dogs), and the first thing the trainer did was teaching him to heel. He put a regular choker on him, no difference. So he switched to the spiked choker, and the results were immediate.

Now we still walk him with the spiked choker, as evil as it seems, but its better than risking him taking off and getting himself hurt. The choker bugs him, but it keeps him in line, and it doesn't seem to hurt him as it applies equal pressure around his neck, except over the backbone. My cairn has got a really stout and muscular neck, which would explain why the regular choker had no effect on him. Eventually, the goal is to switch to a regular collar, with him heeling beside us on walks.

You can test the spiked choker, place it over your thigh to see if it hurts. I would recommend consulting a trainer to learn the proper way to use it, as fitting is important. Too loose or too tight will hurt him, it has to be just right.

I think no dog should be pulling and tugging on leashes, as its really dangerous for the dog if he/she ever gets loose - you know the mischief they can get into ....

Oh, and by the way, the Spiked Collar is also known as the Prong Collar, or Training Collar. Just forgot the right term. The one we got was made in Germany by H. Sprenger (something like that), and costs around $12.

It is sometimes referred to as 'power steering for dogs.' I resisted using one for years and years. When I finally tried one I practically cried in regret for not using one earlier with my sturdy, stubborn male. Paradoxically, they are effectively gentler than a regular training collar (choke) despite their fearsome appearance. As Guest suggests, please consult an experienced trainer for proper fit and use - they are NOT used in the same way as a conventional slip collar. One person's description (with pictures).

And the advice to go to obedience class to learn heeling -- and attention -- is right on. I don't heel our dogs on walks hardly ever (we too use a harness, mostly), but the experience of working together and heeling in the structured environments of class and the obedience ring teaches them to listen to you, at least every once in while, a little bit :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I just used an Anti-Pull Harness that was purchased at Wal-Mart for $9.96. I was amazed at what a better walk we just came back from. No pulling or fighting and my arm is still attached to my shoulder! I wish I had gotten one sooner.

How does an "anti-pull" harness work???

I dunno....it might be too late. I found my husband's arm on the sidewalk tonite....lol!! :P

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Thanks for all the responses! As it turns out I do have a prong collar for Chewy,(that I got from a trainer) I am not a huge fan of using it because he still gags himself on it! I guess we just need some more practice ;) ! the harness I have is one of those anti-pull ones from wal-mart and it is working, slowly but surely! He probably could use some classes tho, and I don't believe it is ever to late to train them it is just more work the older they get! I am going to keep working him, he is a very good boy in all other aspects so time will tell!!

Archived