CairnTalk

Now What Smartypants?

Dempsy's Mom

It is so cold here in South Dakota today. I took the pickup out back to check the calves. Dempsy had to come along. I parked the pickup and left Demps in while I went out and checked calves - about 20 minutes. I just couldn't wait to get out of the wind and get back in the pickup. Dempsy was eagerly awaiting my return. I pulled on the pickup handle. I pulled again on the pickup handle. Demps was looking at me through the window - head cocked. "Mom, I didn't know it would lock." "Oh Demps," I said. "Now what smartypants?" Yes, Dempsy had hit the lock button. Well, I made the cold trek to the house to get the extra set of keys and I was thankful that this happened while I was at home. Dempsy was very happy to have me open the door. Once again that old saying rang through my head - there really isn't anything new, it's just new people learning them. Demps and I won't pull that stunt again. Just thought I would share - because it really wasn't much fun and maybe I could save someone else the misery. Silly of me.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

ha ha! i used to have a door from the house to garage that had window panes in the upper half, and whenever anybody came to door redmon would jump up and down, on the cairn springs, so that his face would appear rhythmically in the windows. slapping against the door with his happy paws, of course. one day something or other went wrong with the lock on the door. i didn't have time to go to the hardware store so i took an old one-sided button lock and replaced the old lock, with the button on the inside of course. i had to put the last screws into the lock from the outside, and as i reached for the handle to go back in the house i heard redmon barking and saw the happy bouncing face --and realized that in his jumping he had hit the button lock from the inside. of course, all the other doors to the house were locked already. i had to go to the hardware store then --to get the tools to break into my own house. and of course i replaced that lock with combination lock, so that i can let myself back in the next time he locks me out.

That is funny only because it wasn't disastrous.

If you have a trailer hitch you could use one of these http://www.hitchsafe.com/

I have one and it comes in handy.

I even keep a spare house key on Sassy's collar, I've been known to lock myself out of the house at four in the morning. :censored: Though I'm not sure if that is any worse than letting the dog lock you out. :whistle: Do you have any idea of how hard it is to get the key in the lock with the dog attached? Maybe I need to take the collar off first! :P

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Do you have any idea of how hard it is to get the key in the lock with the dog attached? Maybe I need to take the collar off first! :P

I just laughed so hard I snorted. Thanks, I needed that! :lol:

We have also experienced this in both of our cars and after a lifetime of simply throwing the keys on the floorboard of the car when I get out, I have to make sure to take put them in my pocket when I have the girls.

I am so glad that you were able to get back to house for your keys.

I found one morning that the back seat of my car was damp as the window was open - I had not realised but Holly must have hit the window button when she had been in it the afternoon before! Now I have the window lock on and check too! You learn from you mistakes..............

Oh, that made me laugh though about Sassy!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Do you have any idea of how hard it is to get the key in the lock with the dog attached?

Too funny!!

However... When Zekey got away from me in January (when I was hit by a car), my house keys were attached to his leash. Until he was found, I was worried that some nere-do-well would read the address on his collar and help themselves to all my stuff! Now my keys are always in my pocket when we take walks.

My neighbor used to have a Subaru Forester that had heated seats -- and the button to turn them on was on the console. All too often when we took our dogs to the park in her car they would step on the buttons and turn on the "hot seats."

I don't think we were the only ones with this problem, because Subaru changed the location of the buttons on later models...

I have a new Subaru Outback - the seat heating buttons are between the two front seats - Kirby has been know to warm me up! But, in my old car he was constantly stepping on the emergency flashers!

First thing Pegi does when she gets in the car is hit the window button so it will go down and she can try to hang her head out....have hit the lock button. It gets a little messy when driving, trying to grab the dog and put up the passenger window all the same time!

Linda & Pegi

:lol: Great stories!!

Bailey is a master at hitting the power window button so we have to lock the windows too. Last year I had let Bailey and Casey out to go for the last potty break at night (hubby was away on business, of course)and when I went to shut the slidder door I pushed it a little too hard and the security bar slammed down and locked me out. I almost panicked standing there in my pj's then I remembered to go around front and use the keypad to the garage doors.

Giggling here - great stories. I've already locked myself out at 4:00 a.m. Poor hubby was fast asleep, but not for long as I banged on the front door. You all raise a good point - perhaps I should hide the front door key somewhere on the property for events such as this.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Archived