CairnTalk

crybennett

crybennett

Hey everyone!! New to this site, and new mom to rescued dog, Maddy. She and her brother (or husband) were hit by a vehicle near my home, and he didn't make it. So I took her to my vet and the next day she came home to a very nosy dachshund roommate that we've had for a year. It's only been a week, and she's still on antibiotics, but she's making great progress. Still has 'road rash' healing, and a knot on her right shoulder, so I've only given her a bath, but not combed her yet. I've got to learn the grooming technique for her. Never had Cairns when I worked @ the groomer so this is a new experience for me. I think she'll be a good playmate for the (1 yr old) 4-legged, and the (7 yr old) 2 legged. The vet says that she thinks Maddy is 6-8 mths.

post-5089-0-65411300-1290499897_thumb.jp

I think your right Maddy will bring lots of joy to your family. She's wonderful. I am glad that you were there for her. Poor Maddy - sounds like she's in good hands. Welcome to Cairn Talk!!

PS - Going to be a Happy Thanksgiving at your house!

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hi and hi to Maddy too. Welcome to the forum - glad you found this wonderful site. What you have done in saving Maddy and opening your home to a rescue is wonderful. Like Demsey's Mom says - great time being Thanksgiving. Someone up above must have had something to do with all this. Good luck and know we are all here to help in any way we can. (I always use the "we" quite literally - althought I (personally) have little to offer at this stage as our Layla is 10 weeks old and we have had her but 5 days) - but sometimes we just need someone to bounce things off. Good luck in the coming weeks with your new arrival.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

Welcome to both you and Maddy. Maddy is a very fortunate little girl to have found a wonderful new home. Sounds like you will have a full house this Thanksgiving! As Maddy heals from her injuries you will discover the wonderful antics of the cairn. Hang on!

P.S. Maddy is a gorgeous little girl and I love her name.

post-5089-0-81186500-1290546558_thumb.jp Thanks for all the replies. Just wondering how ya'll trim your pup's nails. Do you clip, or grind? With the dachshund, I took him to a groomer for the fist 2 times to get his nails ground to lesson the chances of ragged edges, and now I use a dremmel tool on low w/ him. However, I just tried to use an over the counter pet nail grinder, and Maddy wasn't having ANY of it. lol. She is starting to play more, so I hope her pain and mental images of what happened before I found her are diminishing. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. Hope all of you have a Happy Thanksgiving. Here's a pict of Maddy w/ Bruno. The 1st time they 'posed' together. lol Thanks, C

Welcome, to the site. Congratulations in adopting Maddy. She has a sweet face, and sounds like she will be a good fit in your family.

Welcome! How wonderful that Maddy came into your life, even though it was a tragic way of arriving. You'll find tons of great information here on grooming. For now, try a pin brush and/or a wide-toothed comb just to get the tangles out of her coat and worry about the other stuff later. She's a beauty! :wub:

That Maddy is going to clean up GOOD! Her color is extraordinary--looks jet black and she looks the right size.

Give her a few days to relax and get used to the change and then do a little trimming around the ears, eyes, and tail (plenty of information here on how to do that) before you start any major grooming.

I use the dremel for Dempsy's nails. He is fine with the back feet, but he hates to have his front nails done.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Archived