CairnTalk

Meet Tucker!

wheezie23

tucker%207%20wks.jpg

Life is strange, and things do have a way of turning out! Remember I told y'all that I was getting a puppy in December? Well, I got a call from a breeder that I had been in contact with before finding Zoe. Back then, she had thought she was going to be having puppies available, but the pregnancy failed. I told her to keep my number and call me if she ever had puppies again. Well, she must've forgotten about me, as I did her. But she remembered me on Saturday and found my number. She had three pups and wanted to know if I was still interested. Was I! :w00t: My daughter and I drove the 2 1/2 hr drive to her home to see the puppies.

I had every intention of coming home with a female, but this little guy stole my heart. He looks so much like Zoe, and even acts like her some. But he is also very different. After battling with the family on a suitable name, we all agreed on Tucker. Brad, any ideas on an AKC name?? The sire's name is long, but Harley is what they call him. Can I call him "Harley's All Tucker'd Out?" or does that imply the father is less than adequate?! I'm just so excited, I'm in heaven now. My family is complete! Now I can start sharing some stories with my Cairn friends!! :hug:

thela

edit: deleted extra 'http://' in img tag

Ohhhhhhhhh my!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see how you just couldn't resist that face!!!!!!!!

Precious, just precious!!! :halo:

I can hardly wait to hear your tales!!

Congrats and give him a big smoochie from Aunt CathyAnn!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

He is beautiful!! I'm so happy for you!! Congratulations!!

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Congratulations, He's just adorable. Having my first cairn now for just 2 months I imagine the emptiness you felt without . Our "Amos Celtic Chaos" fills our life with joy and happiness. Our best wishes,

Gus and Elaine

Congratulations on your new baby! What an adorable little guy. LOVE the name, it's a great choice. Many, many happy (and healthy) years with Tucker.

Thanks, everyone! I feel like I am so blessed right now. Tucker is just too funny. He cracks me up. Here he is, 7 wks old, slightly larger than a well-fed squirrel, and he's bowing up to Rocky, my 90 lb. Rottweiler/retriever mix! And that bark! Oh my goodness! So far, the cat is somewhat aloof (as a respectable cat should be) but I think they'll become friends. Mr.Kitty is only 8 mos. old. Now if I can just get through a night with him in the crate. I'm such a pansy. 20 mins. of yelping and howling and I give in. Any suggestions??

thela

Thela....Our little guy cryed alot the first few nights, too. I only got up once and let him out to potty and right back in he went. I only spoke to say "go potty" and left the "conversation" at that. Guess you have to put yourself in their place and realize they are probably a bit scared and lonely. Lotsa changes for that little guy....

Have you tryed covering the cage? To make it really dark in there?

Also, do you have a wind-up alarm clock that ticks loudly?

Give those a try and see if they help with your night time issues....

Good luck and look forward to an update :D !

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

We lucked out with both of our Cairns that they went right to sleep at night. Once we began putting Scully in a crate, I was amazed by what the trainer showed us. We covered the cage when we put her in and within minutes she settled down. It broke my heart to do that but I saw immediately how much calmer it made her. He also had us doing it during the day when we put her in the crate because as he stated, it was cruel for her to be able to see us and want to be with us. I am the biggest wuss when it comes to these pups. :shy:

I bought a wind up clock for him the day we got him, we put a soft blanket and one of the larger beanie buddies inside too. I used a towel to cover the crate but left a small part open so he could see out. Maybe that was the mistake? Also, when I put him in for the night, should I turn off the lights and go to bed myself? I was sort of sitting on the couch to make sure he settled before going to bed, but he never "settled" so he ended up on the couch with me......you'd think I have horribly spoiled children, but I find it's easier to say no to them than my puppy! :lol:

thela

I think I would put him "nightie-night" (as we call it :) ) when you are going to bed, too.

Then, it is totally quiet for baby Tucker :halo: . Maybe he will put 2+2 together and figure that when it's quiet, he needs to be quiet :halo: .

And, I would definitely cover the whole cage. I used a dark blue towel so that no light would get in. Just be careful that he has ventilation if it is warm in the house.

Good luck tonight!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Tucker sure is a sweetheart!!!!!!!! I love puppy breath! LOL!

Finch, who is now 5 months old, cried the first few nights. She stayed dry during the night but only slept about 5 hours. We decided to put her crate in the basement (it's finished) because there are no windows...so no light. Well, she slept through the night! Not a peep was heard from her! We put her down, for the night, at 10pm (although she will sometimes walk into the crate, on her own, and go to sleep earlier) and she gets up between 6 and 6:30am.

Keep us updated on Tucker's progress....and congrats!!

Last night was a total washout. He had an upset tummy and needed to potty three times during the night. :sick: We noticed he was bloated, and he pooped several times before bed. Then he needed to poop three more times. I think one of my kids fed him again after I already had. I don't know what else would explain it. But the night before, he lasted two whole hours! lol I am putting him in the kennel when I need to leave for a short time (exercising) and he did fine. Hopefully that will reinforce to him that it's a good place and he'll stay longer at night. ;)

thela

I honestly don't remember having any problems with Winnie as far as settling down for the night. Madison was pretty good too although she thought nothing of going to the bathroom in her crate.

Archived