CairnTalk

new cairn - behavior training help

Guest ellenp

Hi all! I've had previous doggy experience with bigger dogs, shepherds mostly, and currently have a 3 month old shep mix. About 3 weeks ago we adopted a 1 yr old cairn, male, named Bailey. His previous owner had his grandaughters coming to live with him and thought they'd be too rough for the little guy.

BUT, I'm having problems - he's needing to go out every 3 hours or so. Also, he constantly attacks my older dog. Lastly, he's constantly jumping up on the furniture - abig no no in my house. I realize he's not been trained by me since puppyhood, but the thing is - he's smart, he knows when what he's doing is a "no", because if you catch him at it he immediately drops down on his back and give you that "i'm sorry, i'm cute, don't you love me" look. But he does it anyway.

Any advice on training this breed? My older dog is looking at me like what'd you do? :)

Thanks!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cairns :whistle:

What I've noticed with my girls, and it's very similar to what you're experiencing with the furniture problem, is that you have to be consistant with the training. I get mad at my husband because he'll be sitting on the couch and call Madison up there. But when she jumps up on her own, I have to say "get down". I'd be confused too.

Not to make light of your situation, they ARE cute especially when they roll over on their backs and give you that look! I found that Cairns are sensitive to any kind of harsh words...I don't have to raise my voice, just be consistant in what I expect from them and if they push my buttons it's a time out in their crate.

Does Bailey perform when he goes out or is it just that he wants to be outside? Does he have to go out during the night too? They should be housebroken well before a year old and be able to hold their urine through the night but even then, accidents can happen. It's usually because we're not paying attention to the signs they give us.

If you find he has to go often and alot, it may warrant a trip to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection. You didn't mention if he was neutered.

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll see an improvement in the near future. You've only had him for 3 weeks and you both still need to understand each other.

Just my $.02 worth.

We had the same issue with Scully jumping up on the couch. My husband, in the family room, encouraged her to jump up and be with dad, but upstairs in the living room, she was always getting yelled at for being on the "good" sofa. For some reason, in the family room she would jump up on the sofa and lie down, but upstairs she'd jump up and then decide to walk on the end tables and grab stuff. So as not to confuse her (more than she already was by dad saying to come up), we had to consistently tell her to "sit" when she got up on the sofa upstairs. Now when she goes on the sofa upstairs, she'll lie quietly and look at the front door.

Guest abbycairn

Hi,

As others have said your dog should not need to go out every three hours .. have you asked his previous owner what his routine was in terms of walks and going out into the garden? If he was used to being let outside frequently he may just be keeping up his normal routine. I personally do not think going out every three hours is excessive, but he certainly should be able to hold through the night.

By "attack" your older dog .. do you mean pester him to play? If he's barking at him, grabbing his ears or legs with his mouth, pawing him .. he's trying to get your older dog to play.

As to jumping up on furniture, I cannot help you there .. I had German Shepherds and small dogs. My Shepherds were not allowed on the furniture, my small dogs always where allowed. However you taught your older dog not to get up on the furniture should work for you new Cairn ... as long as you are watching. :-)

Stacey

Archived