CairnTalk

Update! 5 1/2 week old Puppy Pictures-Post 1

pindrop

Hi everyone - well it's that time again to share the latest pictures of the babies. I've sorta captioned them but not necessarily in any order. Both my husband and I are soooo torn as to which one we will eventually decide on. They are all so adorable. It's tough when they are puppies to choose. We picked up one each, and because we wanted to hold each and every one, we had to put the first batch back in to take up the second batch. Well....didn't you know it, the first batch would start to whine and actually bark to be picked back up. Two weeks ago I had two favorites - which were the light colored and the black-faced (both females) but today, we actually looked at the only two males, one light and one dark faced whose ears are already standing up. I just don't know and neither does hubby. He likes the male dark-face. We will once again be going back up in two weeks (they will be 7 1/2 weeks then) and at that time should be more in a position to make some definate choices. :confused1: Two weeks after that, they will be going to the vet for a series of tests (liver shunt) and a few other things - as well as their first shots. Names....now who would have thought that this was such a difficult task but needless to say it is. Hubby likes Bud (said Buuuud) if it's a male and Rose Bud for a female. Sheeshh.. :crybaby: on the other hand I like Lily, Merlot and Kanew (pronounced canoe)as well as Digby. Perhaps you can help us with some inspirational names. Also feel free to jump in with your favorite puppy - all comments are welcome.

post-5021-049645100 1287865057_thumb.jpg post-5021-014931200 1287865090_thumb.jpg post-5021-030175300 1287865111_thumb.jpg

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I love the first picture, what a sweet face.

In regards to names Digby sounds cool. Lily very sweet very current.

All Cairn pups are adorable. I wouldn't be able to pick myself.

Glad I don't have to make the choice--I like all three of them and it must be really hard when you have handled each of them to decide which to take. Doesn't look like there is a cull in the bunch.

I too love the first picture but they are all so adorable. Doesn't seem long ago that I was in the same position and we kept writing names down to see what we preferred.

The list was endless and if we'd ended up with a female it would have been Milly and we had chosen Digby for a boy but we ended up calling him Scruffy, which is a very appropriate name if you saw him some days whistle.gif

It is very difficult when you're confronted with so many cute puppies. Will you have to hurry up to choose one before anyone else lays claim?

Love the name Kanew by the way.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

They are all adorable!!! I love the third one!! I was telling my husband earlier that you were going to visit the pups today and would be posting more pictures. It funny, like you are family and posting pictures of the new baby :D I am soo jealous of you at the moment. Good luck in your decision.

ScruffyMag - there is no rush on my choosing the pup as I have first dibs on whichever sex I prefer. However, the breeder has first choice on a female but as she says, it is very difficult, at this early stage, to choose one that she will eventually breed. She (the breeder) is my age (ready to retire - that's all I will say :thumbsup: ) and her husband is urging her to consider a halt to breeding. At our next meeting both she and I will discuss her potential choice and hopefully there will be no conflict.

Oliver's Mom - thank you for your kind words re: family - I too feel the same way with all of you. Each time hubby and I head up to see the breeder, I rush home and ask hubby to resize the pix as I need to post them on the forum. My family, who are usually totally supportive, groan when I tell them I am sending more pictures :surrender: However, you may be envious as I will be getting a puppy, but I doubt you will continue to be so when/if it keeps me up at night and whatever else puppies do to drive their owners crazy. I promise I will continue to be a part of this forum only so I can relate to you all the latest exploits and then we will see if you are still wishing to be in my shoes :lol:

As far as naming the little devil; my husband actually chose the name Pegi before we got her. When he was a child (many, many years ago!) friends had a terrier named Pegi that he really liked. Since it took my daughters and I 3 years to talk him into another dog I quickly agreed to the name. And she is truly a Pegi. Of course, being from New England (and a huge Red Sox fan) I would probably have named her after my favorite player....and what kind of name would Youk be for a girl?

Good luck choosing; I am glad Pegi was the last available female; I could not have chosen!

Linda & Pegi

They are all so cute! How would you choose! Glad I got Holly as an adult and did not have to make these sort of decisions!

But I like the second one of each set................... I think Digby is a great name, and also Lily for a girl!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Oh, boy . . . The first one looks heart-melting sweet and eager to please. The two boys with the erect ears look full of the devil (in other words, typical Cairns). The fourth one seems to be saying "That's right - I'm terribly cute but I can't wait to grow up and get into mischief." The fifth one looks very curious, not wanting to miss anything while he/she is being held for the photo. And the last one? "I want to chase something!"

They're all so, so precious! :wub:

Mr. Chunky was my favorite from the first batch of pics.

But to pick just one? That's gonna be hard, but you can't go wrong, since they're all SO adorable!!!!

My have they grown since the first pictures you posted. They are all so cute, good luck in making a decision. I had a difficult time in naming Radar, just like you I made a list and kept going back and forth on different names until I came across the name Radar. I asked my husband what he thought and he liked right away. When you finally find the name, you will know.

They're all so adorable! But I really think pic number 6, "Black face" has that (OK, I'm ready to go home with you now look in her face) :) My DH and I are partial to wheatons but something about her little black face just looks smiley and unafraid. I like the name Lily...for some reason I always want to put the Y or ie sound on the end of names anyways..lol (as in Coopie and Jezzy). It's going to be a tough pick :confused1: but you've already made a great breed choice.

If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

You know, after having two little gremlins at the same time.... If I were you i'd ask the breeder for the "Mellow" one. Now keep in mind, a mellow Cairn Puppy is still a handful ... but that's just me 5 years after having got Mett & Bratt.

Good luck,

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Yesterday some fellow starbucks patrons had a new minature schnauzer puppy that they named Lola. They were planning to spoil her and said, "whatever Lola wants, Lola gets".

Ditto that! Dundee is very mellow but still an amazing amount of work. On the plus side: New throw rugs! Less poop-scooping in the yard! :sick: Early starts on the day! Etc.

Wait a minute... didn't you same the same about Stella? Less yard work and new throw rugs?

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Mellow!!!! When I originally suggested getting a "mellow" puppy I seem to recall everyone saying they don't exist! :shock: Last weekend I specifically went up with the intention of observing them in their natural environment. Needless to say - not one stood out as being more mellow than any other. I loved them all!! Oh dear - this is not an easy task. I sometimes wish there had only been one and therefore my choice would not have existed. Now the breeder wants me to make a choice if I am going to choose a female. But, I refuse to be rushed - knowing (hopefully) I will have this baby for 15+ years. We are going back up not this weekend but the following one and because they will be older hopefully this will make my choice a tad easier. Because I know she wants one of the females, hubby and I realize we should pick out two and that way if she wants one of the ones we have choosen, there is still the other one. The monkey-wrench in the works is the little male with his ears already up - and who looks exactly like his dad. Thank you everyone for all your posts.

I think if I were not tied to a particular female because of markings or size I would simply sit and observe these pups and try to identify the dog that best exemplified the personality characteristics of Cairns. I would look for an inquisitive, alert, assertive, and least fearful of the puppies.

I would want a dog that was comfortable with humans and its litter mates. Human socialization is really important, the puppy should want to be with a human. All other things being equal, go with the dog that has the classic Cairn personality--colors will change and ears will go up. Ultimate size at this age is hard to determine. You really are in an enviable position as far as I am concerned--getting the "pick of the litter" is not something that most of us ever have an opportunity to enjoy.

Archived