CairnTalk

Here we start looking...

boblamb58

OK, you may or mat not recall me posting a while ago about our Cairn Mischief.. post-2103-12864083649067_thumb.jpg

We rescued him in 2006 at the age of 8. In June he passed. A tumor in his abdomen grew too large, the vet felt he was too old and weak to operate on, and so we let him go. And no, it was not easy.

The kids have been hounding us for another Cairn... and my wife and I really want one, too.

I've tried 2 shelters so far, but both times the dogs had already been placed. It would be nice if Petfinder would update their dogs more often....

So, I thought I'd ask here in a Cairn forum. With kids, we won't be able to take in an aggressive Cairn, but are certainly willing to take in a young or adult or even senior Cairn.

Can't really travel too far, but I'd go about 2 hours max if I found the right dog.

herbie73@juno.com or boblamb58@yahoo.com

We are in the 19054 zip-code (NE of Philly)

Thanks!

Bob

try Col. Potter Cairn Terrier rescue, Cairn rescue usa, or cairn terrier rescue league.

here is their websites

www.cairnrescue.com

www.cairnrescueusa.com/

www.cairnrescueleague.com/

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Do the humane society's take names for those looking for a specific breed? I know of one the does here in SD, but I am not sure if they will all do that. Just a thought.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Our local Humane Society did take our name, address & telephone number - our requested preference (that being a terrier). That was in July and we have yet to hear anything from them. As I work full time, the only available day I have is a Saturday. I have been over numerous times and all to no avail. Subsequently, we have found a Cairn Terrier breeder here in Maine and are now in the process of awaiting the arrival of our new puppy. They were born Sept. 15th so it will be a while before we have our baby home. I am planning on retiring in the next year or so - and at that time, will be looking for a rescue to keep our new baby company.

Husband and dog missing ...25 cents reward for dog

I know what you mean -- twice I've been to the SPCA to see a dog that had been there for a while, only to be told it was just adopted that day! I know the Montco one has an online form to fill in if you are looking for certain breeds.

You're right about PetFinder -- they should have a "view most recent" option. I checked them every day (searched for Cairns only), and called a shelter right away when one was available in my area, even before the picture was posted. I made an appointment with them for a Saturday. This was in Whitehall (close to Allentown, PA), and was able to adopt Gavin a few weeks ago. And the shelter took the notice off of Petfinder a few days before the appointment, which I thought was weird.

Good luck with your search.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice. I asked about 2 that were already adopted. I kept looking, would not give up.

OMG! I got soooooo lucky! Snagged a 10-12 month old male from Hope for Hannah rescue via a link on Petfinder.

They estimated his age, the original owners were very tight-lipped about the dogs (there were two, a male and a female)

Brought him home one week ago today. This dog is simply AWESOME! So friendly and loving. He's mostly house-trained..

I say mostly, because so far he's urinated on 2 of my one son's things, and the toilet in our downstairs bathroom.

I'm pretty sure it's just leftover odors from our Cairn that died in June.

Otherwise, he seems healthy and happy. Still needs to be neutered, just waiting for shot records.

Meet Pepper:

2780003220040110798S500x500Q85.jpg

2793314870040110798S500x500Q85.jpg

Sleeping with his first toy, a knotted old sock.

2749808590040110798S500x500Q85.jpg

That is so great! He is adorable. I know that in our are (Pgh PA) the small dogs go so fast at the shelters, that goodness for that though. I know that in OH the list for cairns on Petfinder is so long, that is sad.

But congrats on your great dog Pepper

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

Archived