CairnTalk

Strong Leashes

Milopup

Hello,

Need some advice on leashes. I station my pup for short periods of time with a 6 foot leash when I cannot supervise him, but he is still in chewing mode and chews through them. The leash I use is a nylon type.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a leash that is stronger, and he will be less likely to chew apart/through?

Thank you.

Hi Milopup,

Rather than attaching the leash to his collar, have you tried putting a harness on him and attaching the leash to that. It's a little more difficult for them to reach the leash when it is at their back rather than around their neck. I have tried this with Duffy and it works with him. You may want to try it.

MikeC

Hi MikeC.,

We do attach the leash to his harness right now (we can't bear to put it on his collar), but the lil' guy can still reach the leash. We have chew toys and plush toys for him to play with, yet he will still munch on the leash.

Any other suggestions? Are leather leashes or cotton leashes better than nylon?

Thanks.

Or . . . you can buy lengths of chain (of every description) from a hardware store - all the way from the little bead type for the bathtub plug to the kind for towing your car. You can also buy attachment pieces there as well. That's what I did when Emma was that age but she was always right next to me and the chain was only 18" long and attached to little eye rings around the house. I liked it so much better than a cage!!!

Hi all,

My pup thinks Bitter Apple is a snack - he doesn't mind the taste at all. :confused:

Interesting suggestion on the chain - the pups can't chew through metal, can they?

Thanks,

MP :P

I think the lead we use is vinyl covered wire. Finch is still chewing alot, and at 5 months, her teeth are still very sharp. She hasn't chewed through ours yet. We bought it at Petsmart.

Wes says "Yummy" to bitter apple too!

He's finally reached a stage where he doesn't chew as much. So I will still at least have half a couch, half a chair and some of the wall left.

And I can give him a paper bag to play with and tear, and he won't eat it.

Boy, am I lucky.

Archived