CairnTalk

Need a Clever Registered Name

maggie's_mom

I have an 8 month old Cairn Terrier named Maggie. We live in Dallas, Texas.

I am searching for a clever registered name for Maggie. We are having the most difficult time figuring something out.

A little info on Maggie: She is a brindle Cairn, with a lot of blondish grey fur. She is more like a Retriever than a Terrier.

She loves to fetch balls of all kinds; her most recent favorite being a football (it's hilarious!). She also has been fetching oversized sticks and branches (double her size) from the age of 3 months. Its amazing.

We have a lot of ground ivy around the perimeter of the yard where things always disappear. She has found 3 balls (from previous owners), a bottle opener, and a horseshoe.

And she loves to ride in the car, knows a bunch of tricks, is very lovable, very popular in the neighborhood (all the dogs play in our yard), and is a spoiled brat!

Her nicknames are: MagPie, Maggie Rosey (from the Scottish name Margaret Rose), and my husband calls her "The Most Concentrated Form of Evil" (hahaha!)

ANY IDEAS ON A REGISTERED NAME????

Hi Maggiesmom,

This name came to mind "Magnolia's Rose of Texas". Then her call name of Maggie fits right in. OK Brad, your turn!

MikeC

I should've asked for advice before I registered my Pepper. We just did "Pepper Pan" (our last name), but what we should've done was "Sgt Pepperoni of Bayou City" (we live in houston, Tx)...SO now, his paper has an ordinary name...

That would have been cute!! You can't change the name after you register them can you?

We also call her Maggie Mae. I thought that would be a cute registered name too.

The AKC recently started permitting a one-time name change for registered dogs but in looking at the rules I believe that it is only for dogs that a breeder has registered in their own name. It is common for a breeder to 'run on' a pup or two for six months or a year or so. The breeder will register the dog so as to be able to show it. But it may not turn out to be a good fit with their breeding program and so they will have to place the junior dog. Sometimes the breeder would like to offer the new family the opportunity to select a registered name, and as long as the dog has no points and no AKC record other than the initial registration, the AKC will now allow a one-time name change. But as noted, its initial registration had to be the breeders'. The form is here: Dog Name Change Authorization

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Gosh, I didn't realize there were so many rules of registration and showing dogs.

Is there a lot of money in it? Or is it a status thing? There seems to be so many particulars!

I laughed when someone asked me if I was going to show Maggie. As I watched her chase down a squirrel, pull a branch off a tree, dig a hole to bury it, and proceed to flop on her back and roll back and forth in the hole with the stick hanging out of her mouth...I simply answered "Uh, No".

There's a lot of money in it ... to be SPENT. What's behind it for most people I've met is a love of the breed and a desire to be involved in preserving its history and ensuring its future: in health, in correct structure and form, in temperament, in working ability. This is done by responsible breeders in the full light of judgement by their peers and experts - at shows, tests, and trials. It can cost a fortune (in time and dollars) but is one way to pay back all these dogs bring into our lives.

All show dogs that I know of do all the same things Maggie does. They're Cairns! Here's a show dog belonging to a friend: he's a Champion, a Master Earthdog, a Companion Dog and could easily be a Companion Dog Excellent. He's also a grocery thief and freelance yard excavator. :twisted:

normal_Digholenosey3.jpg

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Maggie's mom, I had to laugh at your desciption of Maggie! Cairn's are just so funny and they will always bring a smile to my face! I can just picture your dog doing this, and I think all Cairn owners know exactly what she looked like too!

Brad, that picture belongs on a postcard!

Thanks Shoe! I need to get some pictures of her so to post.

Brad, that picture is hilarious! I went to the website and Maggie on that site looks a lot like my Maggie. Except my Maggie has a lot less black in the face.

I busted Maggie rolling around on a dead baby snake the other day. She has now coerced Raymond (her neighbor Pug friend) to scout them out as well. I swear it's like having a child!

I'm standing there talking to Jamie (Raymond's mom) and I look over and see Maggie rolling around on her back. Then she gets up and Raymond takes a turn. For a few seconds I think, "Oh, how cute...". And then the humanistic instinct in me sets in.... "There's something going on over there. I just know it," I say. And sure enough, they are so proud of what they found. And they stink to high heaven!!

Since then, Maggie has found 2 dead baby snakes. And we live in the city, not the country!! And where there are babies, there is a Mama. Luckily they aren't in our yard.

We have finally come up with a registered name. Drum roll please...

Maggie will be registered as: Kocks' Maggie Rose of Texas

(a variation of Yellow Rose of Texas)

Thanks for all the ideas.

Archived