CairnTalk

Need Some Advice

Guest Tom

We could use some advice from Cairn families!!

Our family is considering getting a dog...Big step. I grew up with at least two dogs at all times, however my wife hasn't had a dog. Our kids REALLY want a dog. They are 5 1/2 and 7. Several fairly knowledgeable dog people have directed us toward the Cairn Terrier. We went today to see visit a family that are dedicated Cairn advocates (have 12) - However were fairly frank about the breed.

Here are our questions...

1. We are not interested in obedience training, however would like a dog that is a good family dog. Do Cairn's fit this category.

2. The folks we met with mentioned they had difficulty at times with potty training. Is that common?

3. Would you recommend a Cairn? If so why?

Thank you so much (in advance) for your response! We really are excited about Cairn's but want to make the right decision.

The more responses - the more we appreciate it!!

Thank you.

The Poole Family

Sammamish, WA

Some type of obedience training is a must. Whether you do some research and attempt it yourself or enroll your puppy in a class, I'd highly recommend it.

Potty training can be easy if you approach it in the right way. Never let the puppy loose in the house unless you are watching it CONSTANTLY. They have a way of letting you know when they have to go and it's your job to pick up on that clue....always after sleeping, even if it's just a quick nap, after drinking/eating/playing. Puppies go alot and often. You take them to the same spot every time and wait until business is done. Then you praise the little guy/girl. After awhile they just "get the idea" . Accidents will happen but unless you catch them in the act, discipline after the fact is useless. Most puppies will be housebroken by 6-8 months if your diligent in the training. And the older they get the easier it is for them to hold their bladders too.

I would recommend a Cairn to anyone who has the love, patience, affordability and desire to own a lovable, stubborn, intellegent, wilful, energetic, playful and friendly dog.

If you want a pet that just lies around, never barks, does not need grooming, obeys commands and will walk by your side without distractions, then a Cairn is not for you.

One other important mention.....a fenced in yard or area where a Cairn can play outside safely is a must. They cannot ever be trusted to refrain from investigating any little thing that catches their eye or invites curiosity.

Just be warned, if you do get yourself a Cairn pup, they are addicting and you will want another one once you get past the puppy stage.

Hope I helped.....Sandy :whistle:

Guest abbycairn

Hi "Poole family,

Cairns are wonderful dogs for a family with children. They are robust, fun-loving and most seem to have a natural attraction to children. It's been true of all three cairns I've owned, even though none were raised with children.

Cairns need basic obedience training. EVERY breed of dog needs basic obedience training. They need to learn how to walk on a lead without pulling your arm out of its socket. They should learn basic commands like the recall ("come here") and to sit. They need to learn not to jump up for attention (I am a failure here - I don't bother, but when I had big dogs you bet this was a number one priority) and not to beg at the table. All this applies to any breed of dog.

Cairns are easy to housetrain. Use a crate. Take your puppy out immediately after waking (even from naps), after eating and after playing. Any good puppy training book will explain how to do it. The same applies to any breed of dog, although there are some that I understand can be more difficult. The cairn is not one of them. I've found that they need to be about 12 weeks old before they begin to have any bladder control. Most CTCA breeders will not sell you a puppy before 12 weeks, so that works out well!

Different Cairns have different personalities. My Abby is very sweet, mellow and independent. She's not a lap-sitter, but she is my "shadow". She loves all people and all dogs. And she is totally trustworthy off lead and has had complete freedom in the house for a long time (she's nearly two years old.) She adores my grandchildren - and they her. Two weeks ago I got a 1-1/2 year old Cairn, Rudi. Rudi is a real lad. He so far has eaten part of a sock, the stuffing inside my slippers and I doubt he will ever be allowed off lead. Rudi was a "show dog" and has never lived in a house - so he's a bit like a big dog in a small puppy's body. On the other hand, Rudi will flop over on his back for a belly rub from anyone. And he is a real lap dog.

Cairns are intelligent, happy dogs. Each one is different, but everyone is a delightful companion.

Stacey

Sally, one sentence said it all!

They are :devil: at times; and :halo: most of the time.

Hi Tom and Family!

I previously had a Cairn for 14 years and she grew up with my niece and nephew and a more loving dog you couldn't find. Cairns are extremely intelligent, vivacious, loving, and at times - a handful, but for the most part, those handful times are few and far between. She passed away 7 years ago and last August my husband and I got another Cairn. She's now a little over a year old.

Any puppy, no matter what breed, is going to take effort as far as potty training goes. Several of us at work got different types puppies (labs, Cairn, retriever, etc.) around the same time. I think I've had an easier of the potty training. Consistency and firmness is the key. Just like children, they're not going to know what to do until we help them. And there will be accidents.

As was said already, I personally think training for any breed is good. Even if you take a small course at Petsmart or any pet chain store - any knowledge is good to have.

I have found Cairns to be the most absolutely loving dog. They love everyone and just live to please you. Just wait until a Cairn covers your kids' faces in puppy licks and you see the sheer joy in their faces and how happy that pup is. You will be very happy that you purchased this breed.

I know that when my husband and I come home there is nothing like seeing Scully flat out ecstatic with joy to see us. :wub: This is a great home here to find information. I hope it all helps! Good luck!

In my experience, both with our previous Cairn and our 1 year old Cairn, Piper, they are excellent family dogs. Our first Cairn endured the birth of our oldest son and the birth of our twins and she never had a 'bad' moment. Loved them right from the start! Our boys were 8 and 12 last year when we got Piper, and she immediately fell in love with them!! (As they did her!) I have found Cairns to love people, kids and adults, and to have wonderfully sweet dispositions. They are hardy, rugged little dogs that stand up well to small children, lol! Potty training came easy to both of my Cairns too. As far as obedience training, neither of my Cairns ever had any professional training. They are extremely intelligent dogs, admittedly with a huge independent streak, but if you are consistent in your training and commands, they catch on quickly. Piper is quite dependable, listens well, and understands EVERYTHING. I heartily recommend a Cairn as a family pet.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I guess once question to think about - although your wife has never had a dog - is she REALLY a dog person? And what are her expectations?

My husband's cousin and her family of three children - (we are VERY close with them) loves dogs but has never had a dog. Well - she likes Calli a *little* bit and they are now researching dogs as they have decided to get one. She does NOT want a Cairn terrier - she is uncomfortable with the breed and finds her to be too energetic for her. She wants a dog that is more "laid back", a dog that she can have off leash in the yard, a dog WITHOUT the Cairn bark (she HATES the Cairn bark).

I LOVE my Cairn and she is wonderful with kids and other dogs . . . but I do agree that if you have never had a dog - she might be a handful. It all depends on you expectations.

What's the Cairn bark? I'm just curious what you mean by that. The type of bark (sound) or amount of barking. I don't think Piper has the Cairn bark, lol! Come ot think of it, I don't think Lucy did either since she sounds just like Piper.

On the flip side, my husband had never had a dog and he absolutely adores our Cairn. He had no idea what to expect. But then again, he didn't want a meek little lap dog either.

Those are both good points that you brought up, though, since not everyone has the same expectation when getting a dog.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

The Cairn bark - I would say it is a very sharp bark, a very sharp, tenacious, forceful bark. And Calli doesn't bark alot. But when she does - it can just jolt you!!

Calli is a rescue dog - purchased by a family and brought to the humane society that same week. And when talking to other people regarding Cairn resuce - it seems a lot are due to mismatched expectations. I have grown up with dogs - and I LOVE my Calli - I can't believe I was ever considering another breed! (I must say to my mother at least 3 times a week that I could never have another kind of dog - although my daughter has her sights set on a St. Bernard) . . . With that said - had I not grown up around dogs - I do NOT think I could have dealt with her and the kids (8 & 4) and all that I am doing . . . Calli is my baby :wub: but she is not the "easiest" dog - as a matter of fact out of the 6 different breeds - she is by far the hardest dog - but I wouldn't trade her for the world. Just - if Mom is going to be doing most of the training at home and it's already said that obedience traning isn't the desire . . . then I'm not necessarily sure the Cairn is the best starter dog for Mom.

Big question.....who will be primarily responsible (home all day?) with the puppy??

We have raised two Cairns so far, one 12 years old and the other 17 months old. The first one potty trained relatively easily. Very little chewing. We could trust her not to have accidents after a few months. However, our youngest was a bit more challenging.

The reason I ask is....if your wife has never had a dog, potty training in itself can be quite draining. At least it was for me. I quarantined him to the kitchen area only and watched, watched, watched him like a hawk. I felt like I was in my kitchen for MONTHS! Thinking back, I WAS in the kitchen all summer!

I grew up with dogs my entire life. Watched my parents train 3 dogs. And, very well at that. So, I had a good feel for what I was getting into. It is alot of work. A big commitment. Cairns can be quite challenging but the REWARDS given by them in return are immeasurable!! I would have NO other breed. There are soooo many positives with Cairns!

IMO.....Cairns need some type of obedience training...not just potty-training. We hired a trainer that came to the house weekly for 15 visits. It was well worth the $ and time. My husband and I both enjoyed it as much as the dogs! Even my old girl learned "down" and "heel" :).

As far as the kids, mine have both been wonderful with children of all ages. But, every dog, Cairn or not, is different.

Is there a breeder that you can talk with? That you and your family could spend some time with?

I know I probably sound negative here.....I just feel that ANY puppy is a huge commitment.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Our Cairn, Portabella, is not a barker at all! Only when we get her really riled up does she bark. Now, she growls and makes all these other very strange, funny, sounds when she's playing with a toy... or running back to the house after a potty break...

But when she does bark, it's pretty loud and piercing. I do wish she would learn to bark when she needs to go out. She has occaisonally whimpered, but she doesn't really give us a strong signal that she needs to go out. We have to watch her behavior very closely. She's 10 weeks old.

Hi! I have raised 5 other dogs in addition to my Cairn, Riley. They were all bigger breeds of dogs - - collie, retrievers, mixed - - - and I did find Riley to be quite the challenge in reference to housebreaking him. It took me 10 months to really trust him - - - - BUT - - - I find this breed to be amazing!!!! He is such a funny, entertaining and affectionate little guy!!! This will be my last dog - - - we are getting up in years - - and I am soooooooooooooo happy that we have a Cairn to live out our lives with - - - he is a very special dog!!!

The Cairn bark is high and sharp - I look around for glass breaking when my pup starts barking. And he is quite a barker. When a car drives by, he runs to the window or door and barks as if saying hello and protecting us at the same time. My favorite, though, is when he makes a little growling sound as if to scold us if we are disturbing his nap or being strange 2-legged creatures. :lol:

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the Forum! Duffy is my first Cairn after being a confirmed Springer Spaniel person for over 30 years. I must say that Cairn's are a breed unto themselves. They are highly intelligent, inquisitive and stubborn, definitely with minds of their own, BUT they are also loving, loyal, funny, great with children and other dogs (if properly socialized). Duffy was 95% housetrained by the time he was seven months old. As far as barking, well yes, they do bark and the timbre of the bark determines what it is that is causing them to bark. They will also attempt to "talk" with you, making gutteral sounds in their throats and moving their heads from side to side. At least this is something that Duffy does. Cairn's need to learn from the get go who the boss in the house is. In my experience they respond better to loving but firm training. I think if you decide on a Cairn, you will be very happy and your family will have a terrific addition to it. I'm very glad that I chose a Cairn. My little guy is one of the best canine friends I have ever had. :D

MikeC

I guess that's why I say Piper doesn't have the Cairn bark. She makes many different noises, to convey different wants/needs, and has many different barks. I wouldn't characterize any of them as shrill or high-pitched, though. Lucy, too, made a ton of different noises to get her point across, lol! Piper does have a way of letting us know what she wants, though.

Mike you summed up a Cairn perfectly in this one sentence:

They are highly intelligent, inquisitive and stubborn, definitely with minds of their own, BUT they are also loving, loyal, funny, great with children and other dogs

Archived