CairnTalk

MaMa bear problem

wags

Usually Wes will destroy a toy.

But yesterday he treated it like it was his son-A large stuffed, fluffy baseball.

He nuzzled it and protected it for over an hour. But he became overprotective and attacked in its defense.

My son didn't get hurt, just threatened. So I picked up HIS son, the stuffed baseball, and put it out of reach.

Hi Sally,

Duffy has a stuffed hippo that is just about as big as he is that he treats like Wes treats his baseball. This is the only toy that Duffy is protective of so when he is playing with it, we just leave him alone. You did not mention the age of your son, but if he is old enough to understand, you may want to explain to him that the fluffy baseball is Wes' "special toy" that he does not like to share so when he is playing with it, you should not try to take it away from him. Years ago I had a similar situation with my then 6 year old niece and a cocker that I had at the time. He was extremely possessive of an old beat up frisbee. I explained to her as what I mentioned to you, and it worked. She knew not to try to take that particular toy from him, and he was not deprived of playing with it. Just something you might try.

MikeC

Archived