CairnTalk

New puppy

Chewybacca

Hi all I brought home a "rescue" cairn last night she is 7 months old and so fearful. I don't know what happened to her in her last home but I desparately want her to be happy here. I have a one year old male who is all puppy very loving, playful very happy dog who I am mildly obsessed with (to be frank!)his name is chewy and we are calling our new little girl roxy. She is a tiny little thing who has shown some signs of being a puppy but not that often, she engaged in a little play last night with chewy wagging her tail and barking,but today she seemed a little bit more on the offense. I am not as familiar with doggy play as I wish I was, so I don't understand all the signs she is giving off. Chewy just simply wants to play and love her to death but today is starting to give her a little more space, being the sensitive little guy he is! I have her in a crate with a corral attached to it so she can get used to the house and all its goings on (I have daycare kids)an dwe are going out on a leash to pee and play and even in the house when she is not in her corral I have a leash in her because she gets frightened and bolts. (so I am told, I haven't seen it yet) I guess the previous owners would chase her to catch her, she wasn't taught a thing either, not one command. She held her pee all night until this morning and also did go outside last night, she is eating good. When i met her yesrterday she hadn't peed all day had only eaten a little and was keeping her tail betwwen her legs for the most part, and you would've thought she was an old lady by the way she was acting, sorry I am so long winded but I really wanted to get some feed back on her from people who know cairns, things I shoud/could do tips for Chewy anything would be so appreciated. I so want to make this a good happy life for this little pup she is to sad for a 7 month old.

Be gentle but firm, and especially be consistent and calm in your behavior. I would work very hard to avoid coddling her. Dogs crave routine and a pack leader they can look up to and she will 'step up' when she begins to feel confident. Don't convince her she's right to be shy by making a fuss over her. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully with her. Sounds like your boy is being a swell welcome ambassador.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Chewy...sounds like you have the compassion and commitment to give your new rescue pup everything she wants, deserves and needs. How hard it must be to not know of their previous lifestyle. I look at my girls and often wonder what happened to them before they were mine. All we can do is give them our love and trust, discipline to keep them social and everything else should hopefully fall into place.

Thanks so much for your very kind and wise words, I really needed to hear them. I have rasied chewy since he was 9 weeks old and I forget what he was like because he is such a good boy now (he still has his moments of course)

So I got myself a schedule written down on paper to stick to for roxy and I think in a couple of weeks she is going to feel her old life as just a distant memory. she is already wagging her tail and excited to greet us with lots of kisses she isn't cowering down as much to my husband and I, strangers she still isn't sure of, but I will be sure to socialize a great deal so that she doesn't live forever (I hope) with that fear. She did do one thing last night that bothered me she was next to me trying to give me as much love as she possilbly could and Chewy went to walk by and she growled and snapped at him, chewy didn't care just wanted to do his thing and walk by, but he didn't, he turned and decided to go outside. She did a couple it a couple times, so I am seeing the journey ahead to becoming a "pack"family is going to take time, but if she turns out to be half as rewarding as chewy has been it will all be worth it!! (No I don't LOVE my dogs to much!!!) :P thanks again!

Hi! It sounds to me like you are doing everything right!! I believe you have to be patient to win her over - - she must have been traumatized by something!! Things will gradually improve - - I have had many dogs throughout my life - - they all turned out to be wonderful pets - - however - - Riley the Cairn - - is without a doubt the BEST!!!! Keep up your good work - - - good luck!!!

Archived