CairnTalk

Cairn Update

mbkwsl

Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to read and respond to these posts - your enouragement and ideas are most appreciated...

Here is an update on my 6 1/2 year old female Cairn "Holly"

The Vet called us on Friday and told us to bring her back ASAP. Her "platelits" were down to 40,000 (he said that 250,000-500,000 are normal). He took more blood work (to test for lyme disease) and prescribed the following medicines

- pepcid -ac (1 tab daily)

- imuran (Azathiprine)(1/4 tab daily)

- Prednisolone (2 tabs every 12 hours)

- Doxycycline (1/2 tab every 12 hours)

On Sat am he called and said that the initial blood test was back and that her "platelits") were down to 20,000. She obviously had not had all the medicines in her before this second test was done. He wants to see her again tomorrow for another blood test. The test for tick bourne disease (lyme) will not be back for a few days.

So far she is holding down her medicine and a new food he gave her (i/d). He told us to limit her trips outside to potty breaks only. The pred makes her drinks ton of water and want to pee every 2 hours or so.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Noone knows right now why her platlites have dropped so low to begin with. Needless to say, her "mom" has been on pins and needles for days.

Say a prayer for Holly's recovery

Regards,

Mark

I'll say 2 prayers for her, Mark. Sounds like you have a wonderful vet who's taking good care of her. Please keep us updated on her condition. We love all "our" Cairns in this little family. Sandy

Hi! Riley had severe anemia - - his platelets were very low - - but it was due to his condition - - liver shunts. He was on different medications for months and last test showed his count to be within normal range. Sometimes an infection can make the count low also - - it usually alerts us to a problem of some kind. Hope all is well with your little Cairn!

Hi Mark,

We will keep Holly and you in our prayers. Its wonderful that you have such a proactive Vet and he is staying on top of things. Please keep up posted on how she is doing.

MikeC

Oh my. I'll keep your little Holly in my prayers.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Scully sends hugs to Holly and you, and her mom will pray for both of you as well. I'm sorry to see your little one (and you) going through such a tough time.

Archived