CairnTalk

Anyone heard of the Continental Kennel Club?

TigerBearMommy79

So when we bought Tiger from his breeder they just said he was "registered" when I think of that word I think of AKC. Anyway two weeks after bringing Tiger home we get registration papers from the CKC (continental kennel club) not AKC...why I wonder? I googled some stuff about it and apparently it can be considered kinda shady just because all you have to do is send a pic of your dog say he is purebred and he is. They don't have the strict requirements that the AKC does.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Tiger is purebred...I mean he looks it to me...and I met his mom who looked purebread cairn..didn't meet the dad though.... not that it's that big of a deal I just thought registered meant AKC and not sure if it's even worth it to pay for the ckc papers...we don't plan on showing him or breeding him (we plan on getting him fixed after 6 months)

We love Tiger with or without papers but I just wonder what's the point of being CKC registered...

post-4754-12667000935053_thumb.jpg

Amanda

Mommy to Tiger Bear Born 11/26/2009

The point of these "alternative" registrations is to allow people who sell dogs as a business to carry on without threat of AKC oversight, and - as you pointed out - to take advantage of people's expectations that "registered" means "AKC registered" - Fostering or failing to correct that misunderstanding speaks as poorly for the breeder's ethics as the registry itself.

(Note that "AKC registered" is not in itself a guarantee of quality - many commercially bred dogs that are poor representations of the breed are AKC registered.)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

Save your money. It's not worth it to register Tiger with the CKC. You have a gorgeous little pup there and I know how much you are enjoying him already.

Ahhh well...guess the AKC registered thing wouldn't have been that great to have anyway since we won't be showing him or breeding. Kind of confusing though...talked to my fiance about it and we decided not to register him with the CKC ...does seem rather pointless. We are going to go get him some shiny new tags tomorrow though at Petsmart!

Amanda

Yes, love the little Tiger!

By the way, you can still do a slew of AKC companion and performance events:

• Agility Trials (All Breeds)
  • Earthdog Trials (Small Terriers and Dachshunds)
  • Junior Showmanship (All Breeds)
  • Obedience Trials (All Breeds)
  • Rally Trials (All Breeds)
  • Tracking Tests (All Breeds)

Check out the PAL program.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

My two cents: save the registration money and use it to get Tiger Bear micro-chipped. Only one of my dogs is registered with the AKC. Benny's purchase included AKC registration. Kimmy is eligible to be registered and I have the signed paperwork, but I haven't sent it in because I don't think it's worth it. She isn't a show dog and she's fixed, plus, as Bradl mentioned, you can do all the other stuff without AKC registration...

Thanks guys and I will check into the PAL program! Funny...we were reading the registration papers and Tiger's dad's name is "Taco Tough Houston"...lol I bet that's where Tiger got his feisty little attitude from!

Amanda

I have Angel register through PAL. So that we could compete in Earthdog trials

It takes a couples weeks to get back. All you have to do is fill out some papers and take a few photo. It was pretty easy

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Archived