CairnTalk

Clicker Training?

newcairn

What is the general consensus on it? Good, bad, useless? Let me know what you veteran Cairn owners think about it.

Thanks in advance!

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

I personally think for a majority of dogs clicker training is ideal, unfortunately I have found that, because of the independance of Cairns, my little chap will only do as he is asked for a click/reward when he wants to. I personally find persistance is just as good as a clicker. However that being said all cairns are different as are all owners......It may work wonders for you. Good Luck :D

Thanks chubs...I am going to give it a shot and see how it goes. They are only a few bucks so I figure what the heck. I know what you mean though, these guys are soooo independent.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

I have used clicker training in the past and had read that it worked really well with Cairns - but I have had very little luck. The beginning went fine - she learned so many commands - but 1) my gal really could care less about treats (even good stuff like cheese!!) and yet praise, playing is not reward enough for her and 2) she is so stubborn and independent that she pretty much does what SHE wants to do. And so - after about 3 weeks she started to look at me and decided that she was doing what she wanted to do. I have had better luck without the clicker - she's like one of my kids - it's all in the look on my face and my tone!!

Good luck, though - and tell us how it goes!

Thank Calli. I have a feeling the same will happen to me. But I plan on spending ALOT of training time with this pup since I am home all day for a few months. I want him to be obedient and confident so I am going to try anything I can to get there with him. But this is my first Cairn so we will see. I had a lab growing up (awesome dog but alot of work) and a Bassett in college and they are about the most stubborn (or dumb) dogs you will ever know. My objective is not to dominate the personality of this breed but to have some control over the energy of the dogs so when they are around others they aren't a bother. I am pretty good at understanding 'dog' so I think I will be ok over the course of time but this clicker thing sounds so cool and easy I thought I would give it a whirl since I have time to make the commitment.

-Hoagland

Archived