CairnTalk

How to pick the right breeder?

kayharley

I've made the decision that I want another Cairn to add to my family. Been in touch with several breeders online but they are not in my location. So the option is there to pick a pup without bonding or seeing it first and then the possibility of having it shipped. There's the concern about trust dealing with breeders you've never met, how to send a deposit....check, MC???

Does anyone have advice for me? I know there's no guarantee even with the best of breeders and I know the list of what to look for good breeders/bad breeders.

Have any of you dealt with these issues? And if you know of a reputable kennel, please message me. Thanks so much....Sandy

Sandy,

Did you contact the breeder I gave you? I was just wondering how that went. She is just a wonderful woman and is also listed on the CTCA as a breeder. She is also an active member of the Housatonic Cairn Club and probably has many contacts. I noticed on the the CTCA Breeder site a breeder from Woodbury as well.

I was "interviewed" for an hour by Sue when I went to meet Calli. (She had already rejected my sister-in-law as she lives alone and works full time). Most breeders from my experience in the past want to interview you first. Which I understand.

Mail order kind of concerns me because in most cases they are actually from puppy farms (not always) - no matter what they "say".

Anyway - let me know how it went.

Kayharley, where are you located? I know of an excellent breeder with upcoming litters. And she is absolutely fantastic to deal with- a friend for life.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Would you be willing to travel to NH? I just bought my pup from an awesome breeder in NH and she has upcoming litters. You could make a day trip drive up to visit to see her place and meet her. She has 4 upcoming litters and the father of three of them is beautiful. She is a top notch breeder with about 20 dogs (only Cairns) and she does everything BY THE BOOK. All dogs DNA'd, papers and treated wonderfully. Let me know what you think and I can give you her #

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Archived