CairnTalk

Found my Pup! little problem though..

newcairn

Welp, we went to meet our breeder today (Irene Selden-she's wonderful) just to get to know each other and meet the parents of some upcoming litters in September. When we arrived the breeder showed us two 14 week old males pups (that we had no idea were there) that she was looking after for another breeder (a close friend) who was diagnosed with a serious illness and could not care for them at the moment.

Well, needless to say my wife and I fell in love with one of them, a light Red Brindle. We immediately noticed his temperment to be EXACTLY what we were looking for, pretty amiable, but playful and perfectly balanced. We spent about 4 hours with him and got some really nice alone time with him in a field where I fell deeply in love with him since he didn't want to leave my side and loved exploring with me. SO we put him on deposit....

The problem we face is that I currently live in an apt. where no pets are allowed. The good news is we are closing on our new Townhouse on August 30th. So I thought my landlord would be ok with having the little pup here for the next three weeks before the close. Well, she said absolutely not! She is concerned that when people come to view the apt. to rent it will see a dog and think they can have pets. A valid concern too. But I offered two solutions for. 1) I will leave with the dog when the people come to see the place (since I am home all day) 2) Just tell the people that I am moving because pets are not allowed and it is only for three weeks. Sounds logical to most people I have explained it to, but the landlord won't budge. So I am stug in a little quagmire here. We don't want our pup spending even one more day with out us. So I can do the following:

1) Stay with our friend and new neighbor until we close with the new pup

2) Try to close earlier, but I understand it costs more to close during the middle of the month rather than the end

3) Move the pup in anyway and forget the landlord

4) Accept the bribe she offered to sign another lease for a year, stay in my apt. and be able to keep the dog too. I was shocked when she offered this! And it is out of the question. I want my own property!

Really the timing to get a pup could not be worse for us and probably the dog too. I mean we have to move which can be chaotic and the landlord is causing a real problem. Unfortunately, our emotions are already involved and are completely captivated with this pup. He is what I have been waiting for now for 3 years of painstaking research and patience. We don't want to let this little bugger go because of a few short weeks of bad timing and miss out on a lifetime of happiness. I know there are other pups, but I look at them as individuals, and we love this pup.

Any advice from anyone would be appreciated and my sincere apologies for the long-winded message. Hopefully, Tavis "Badger" Ciulla will be welcomed into our family in the coming days.

Thanks in advance! :D

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

I know this most likely won't be the most popular option since you have already fell in love . My suggestion is to board the pup with the breeder untill you can get moved into your place. This way the pup won't be as stressed and can settle into his new home only once . We recently left Abe with my wife's sister while we went on vacation and he had a hard time getting used to new surroundings at her house and was testing her will at every turn until she started bringing him to our house durring the day to play in his yard, then he settled down for her. My point being these furry little family members are terrible creatures of habit even more so while you are trying to housebreak them.

Hi NewCairn,

I must say that I agree with Abe's Dad. We got Duffy when he was 10 weeks old. Prior to even knowing we were getting him, we made vacation plans and would be traveling for 2 weeks. When Duffy arrived we were scheduled to leave a week later, so we only had him in his new house with us for a very short time before he had to go to the boarding kennel. He was boarded in a very nice enclosed area with other pups his own age, but I could tell when we returned that he was confused about his surroundings and a little traumatic for him. If your breeder will board your little guy until you move, I think that would be your best bet. By the way, your current landlady sounds a little mean and unscrupulous to me. Good luck. Keep us posted on how your new pup does once he is settled in to your new place. :)

MikeC

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read this and respond, I really appreciate it. We are weighing our options right now on what exactly we should do. For now the little guy is at the breeders and will stay there until we feel comfortable with our decision.

As far as my landlord, I sat her down today and looked her in the eye and told her that chances are there WILL be a dog in and out of this apartment over the next three weeks, and she will have to deal with it. She can't really kick me out now can she? ;) I am leaving anyway! Her and I have had a very good relationship over the past two years, and her bribes and distrust are leaving me very little choice but to play rough here. When she originally told I could not have a dog I actually agreed with her completely, but now that I am leaving in three weeks I think she is being unreasonable. So if I choose to take him home, she will just have to learn to deal with a dog for a couple of weeks. And my wife and I won't feel an ounce of guilt about it. Especially after all we have done for the landlord (she is older). But mostly, when we look at that little pups eyes, I am sure any guilt will melt away...Oh how my heart aches for him.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again! :)

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Bring the baby home. Your life will be miserable unless you do. Your landlady was fortunate to have had you there so a couple of weeks won't hurt anyone. A couple of weeks of worrying about your baby will hurt you.

Right on Newcairn, I'm proud of you! I would have done the same thing. There's really nothing she could do but serve you with a 30 day notice to vacate and you would be out by then anyway. Congratualtions for standing your ground.

MikeC :thumbsup:

You guys are the best! Thanks for the moral support.

It is funny, some people who have no experience with dogs just can't comprehend the idea of a dog, in any capacity. It stinks too because dogs snuff those people out pretty quick, and sense they aren't liked. It is sad that she is that way, but I am discovering alot of people are actually weird about dogs now that I am an owner (again). I guess I just feel bad for them, and the best thing I can do is help to train the dog properlu so he is well-behaved and confident. This way these people can see that dogs aren't so bad if they have a good owner-which I have no doubts about. Truth is I blame this situation on all idiots out there that should NEVER have a dog, and then their dogs act foolish and do naughty things and give all dogs bad names. Then someones landlord doesn't want a dog based on all the idiot dogs she has seen. It is the owners not the poor little pooches.

Thanks again guys! Best of luck with your pooches.

-Hoagland

Yes, it would take awhile to evict you from your apartment for doing something that is against your landlady's policy. Do you have a security deposit? If so, I would make sure there is absolutely no damage caused by your new puppy. Take pictures of your apartment right before you leave with witnesses because she sounds like a miserable, nasty woman who could cause you aggrevation. Any person who can't find compassion with animals is not someone I choose to be around.

But, on the other hand, Cairns have a way with people....maybe if your landlady got to look into his puppydog eyes, see his tail wag like there's no tomorrow, saw the affection these dogs can give and want back....she may change her tune and maybe decide to get one of her own......who knows? Anyway, I'd get him, keep him mellow and do what you have to. Just my $.02 worth.

I like your 2 cents worth, and that is what I am going to do. I am picking him up tomorrow. I will keep him quiet and probably be out with him get him socialized anyway.

My landlord is really a nice person, but on this issue she is just being totally difficult and close-minded. Although it is her right to say no, theres no doubt about that, but it also my right to say you are being unreasonable too. And that is what I did and he is coming whether she likes it or not. And I am not going to try to win her over with him, because anyone who does not like dogs that much I don't want my baby around. Anyway, if she did like him I wouldn't allow her the pleasure after the crapola she's pulling.

So he will be here soon, now we just have to decide on a name. So far we have:

Tavis, Griffen, Digby, Wicket, Brody, Fergus, Riley. but neither of us seem to agree on anything yet. I guess once we hang out with him it will come.

-Hoagland

My guess is that the name "Digby" would most appropriate.....hehe!

Whatcha all think??

Cathy

P.S. Good luck and please post a pic so we can all see your new baby :) !

Cathy and Piper

I like the names Fergus, Griffen, and Wicket! I would wait and see the puppy first. Our breeder wanted us to pick a name before we met our female Cairn, and we changed it 3 times! We were choosing between Boo, Atty, and Finch. We went with Finch. I like unusual names for dogs, so I think my favorite is Wicket. :)

Thank you for the validation! I am going to spend a few hours with him before I settle on a name. I am hoping that will settle our indecisiveness. :D

-Hoagland

I know I am totally in the minority but........ You live in someone elses property. You knew the rules when you went in. She has stated the rules agin and again. It is not your place to pick and choose which ones you like and which ones you don't like. If we all did that we would have chaos in the streets. Perhaps she had a horrible experience with a dog and is terrified of them. Perhaps she is allergic to them. Granted, I wouldn't want a person around either of my dogs that didn't like them but I wouldn't blatently parade them where they are not welcome. I don't bring them to restaurants with me. They are cute and they are friendly and people should love them but they do not belong there. I don't bring them to my in-laws because they are not dog people. How rude of me to force my dogs on someone that doesn't want them in the house.

I'm sorry newcairn. I know it is not the popular statement but you are wrong, in MY OPINION, in this issue. You had such a short amount of time that you would have been in the apartment, I'll bet you could have come up with a better solution than irking an older woman and putting the puppy in a potentially harmful situation. Keep in mind. Your landlord has evry right to enter your apartment if she suspects that a wrong doing is happening. If you aren't home, the puppy is in the pound.

Good luck with the baby. I'm sure you will fall madly in love with him, as will most other people. Let us see his picture when you get one.

Not to start a war here but a landlord/landlady has no right to go into your apartment unless they have a legitimate reason. ...examples being (baby/small child left alone crying, smoke/fire, knowledge of a criminal act (having a dog is NOT a criminal act) And even then I believe the proper authorities should be called first.

You have the right to your privacy by paying your rent. Because you did something against the rental agreement only gives her the right to evict you. God help the person who enters my dwelling and touches any one of my dogs! :mad:

CONNECTICUT GENERAL STATUTES

Sec. 47a-16. When landlord may enter rented unit. (a) A tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter into the dwelling unit in order to inspect the premises, make necessary or agreed to repairs, alterations or improvements, supply necessary or agreed to services or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workmen or contractors.

(B) A landlord may enter the dwelling unit without consent of the tenant in case of emergency.

© A landlord shall not abuse the right of entry or use such right of entry to harass the tenant. The landlord shall give the tenant reasonable written or oral notice of his intent to enter and may enter only at reasonable times, except in case of emergency.

(d) A landlord may not enter the dwelling unit without the consent of the tenant except (1) in case of emergency, (2) as permitted by section 47a-16a, (3) pursuant to a court order, or (4) if the tenant has abandoned or surrendered the premises.

I can see both sides to this...

One question....are you ready to forfeit your damage deposit? I am betting that you won't see a cent of it if you go thru with getting the puppy.

We had this happen when we rented and had 2 cats (with their permission). They nit-picked about every little thing when we moved out. I cleaned and cleaned that apartment til I was nutso. I washed the sheer drapes that were provided with the landlady standing right next to me in the laundry room telling me just how to do it. But, I got charged for new ones cause they were slightly wrinkled!! You can't iron sheers! Scrubbed the stove til my knuckles bled (20 year old one, at that). Of course, it wasn't 'clean enough' so they charged me $50! If catch my drift....??

As far as landlords not coming in-that was a joke with us! We found evidence that they were in our apartment ALL the time! I used to set "traps" so I knew when someone had been in.

A few times when we first lived there, I actually called them to ask why they had been in the apartment. Well, it was always somethin' like "well, we needed to check the furnace"....or "we needed to check the plumbing". Yeah, right!

Just some thoughts.....

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Guest Grumpy

I'd go with the name "Digby". If your new apartment has a garden, it soon wont, and then you will see why this name is so appropriate. I had a beautiful garden. For 12 years!!!! Then I met Georgie Fuzzbutt. She has eaten a whole set of low-voltage garden lights. A complete sprinkler system. The fittings off the end of the garden hose. At least 3 fish out of the pond that i'm aware of. She has chewed through the bottom of the fence! She still wont eat dog food though. She has rotary hoed huge patches of the garden beds and worn a goat track in the lawn and keeps all her chewed up bits in a neat area in full view of the family room window (which makes for ease of cleaning up). Then she runs in with dirt all over her chin and feet and looks so cute I've just got to give her a hug (and then attack her with a face washer)

Guest In llove

We picked him up on thursday! And we decided on the name Digby yesterday. The apt. situation is working out ok. We are spending most of our days and nights at our best friends and new neighbors house so as not to cause problems at my apt. Truthfully it no longer feels like home anyway.....But he is as happy as can be with us and is taking to training unbeleivably well! He is basicall house trained, except for the occasional accident that is usually my fault. He will not leave my side and is really partial to me already. I suppose it is the fact I am the master and he really appreciates it.

So for now he is fine and things are working out well. But he will have to come to my apt. during our packing and moving. The landlord told me she would get back to on Sunday (tomorrow) to let me know an answer about keeping him in the house until we move. My guess is she won't get back to me about it at all and I will have to prod her. I think things happen for a reason, and there is a reason this pup came into our lives when he did. The timing is tough, but after only two days I honestly can not imagine my life without him. I want to extend my sincerest thanks to all of you replied and gave support, whether you agreed with me or not it meant alot to my wife and I. I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it. I will also keep you posted on any updates.

Thanks again!

We moved when our Emma was only 1 year old and I worried about it, but we found that they just want to be with us - it really doesn't matter *where* does it? I was also worried about our cat Poppy, but the move hardly bothered him at all - he's quite content as long as he's where we are!

Archived