CairnTalk

Is a Cairn Terrier For Me?

Guest Carita

Guest Carita

Good day,

I have been researching into the possability of getting my first dog when I came across the Cairn Terrier. I have decided that I want to get a small dog to keep me company, go for walks with, play ball with, etc. I want my dog to be able to go from my home to my grandma's home and we both have dogs (my parents have a pembroke welsh corgi mix, and grandma has a yorkie-poo and a sheltie) ... will my Cairn mind this? (my research says no, but I like getting opinions).

Is a Cairn going to mind sitting in my lap or will he get bored? (I do plan on getting lots of toys and taking him to puppy kindergarten and possibly local agility once he is older). I will be honest in saying that *I* am not the most athletic person -- I have bad vision and mild cerebral palsy (I don't like icy surfaces, for example) --and I do not want to get a Cairn terrier and have him be unhappy here.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great. I know you care about Cairn Terriers and for that reason I figure you will be honest. Thanks for your time. :)

@-->--- Carita ---<--@

Guest Hogan's mom

That's a tough one.

We decided on a Cairn terrier this time because we really wanted a more active dog that could go hiking with us on the weekend. Hogan (as most cairns) is decidedly NOT a lap dog!

Have you looked into Shi tzu"s? Another independent, spunky dog, but calmer, not in need of as much exercise, and much more likely to enjoy sitting with it's human. That's what our last dog was, and he was great. We're really enjoying Hogan, but if sometime in the future we find ourselfs unable to "keep-up" with cairns, that would be my choice.

~Liz

Hi! Although Riley is very affectionate and often will sit on my lap and let me pet him - - - he is also very, very BUSY during the day!! He likes to look at and play with every little thing - - constantly running around and wanting your attention. Have you thought about getting a mixed breed of puppy at the local shelter?? Many of my friends have gone this route and rescued a small dog and they have become amazing pets. Just a thought. . . . . .

Guest Carita

Yes, actually. :) I am looking into rescuing a Cairn mix and I thought I should research the breed since that is what the dog is listed as. I am aware that since I am looking at a mix that it will probably have some differences then a purebred, but I figure that looking at the "host" breed is a good place to get started. How I got lucky enough to find a puppy is beyond me, but I just want to make sure that I can supply a forever home. Thanks for your time. :)

@-->--- Carita ---<--@

We have two small dogs a Carin (Rebel) who is not a lap dog then the pug Hammurabi who thinks he is our child and is very much a lap dog. Both travel well and get along with other dogs. I think if you take them places as puppies they learn how to behave. The biggest difference between the two is grooming. The cairn is easier to care for. I brush the pug at least every other night and clean the wrinkles and he gets a bath once a month. Rebel on the other hand gets his weekly brushing and some stripping and has had one bath in his 18 months.

I didn't really want the pug at first but he has really filled a need at our house. He is a great friend to Rebel and always tries to please. We did research pugs before we got one and like the cairn found a good breeder.

Good luck and I hope your new addition gives you as much happiness as ours have.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Guest posting as: MikeC

I have an 8 month old male Cairn, my first of this breed and he is just a wonderful little dog. Cairns have great dispositions and my Duffy has gotten along with every dog he has met. He will sit in my lap for only a few minutes at a time but in the evenings he likes to lie against me on the coach and sleep. They make wonderful companions and I am very happy that I chose this breed. I know that if you decide on a Cairn, you won't be sorry.

MikeC :thumbsup:

Guest zips mom

Hi: I have a 9 mo. old male (neutered) Cairn. I love him dearly, but he is not really a lap dog. He loves to be held and cuddled, but then he is off and BUSY and I do mean busy. Previously owned West Highland Terriers, one for 15 years and one for 5 years. I found them to be more of a lap dog and seemed to desire to please you more than the Cairn. We also own a 12 yr old Maltese - a very loving little dog, quiet, and a real lap dog. Zips Mom

My 2 year old female, Scout, likes to sit in my lap. She will do it on her own terms, but she enjoys it. She also likes to sit next to me on the couch...and I mean RIGHT next to me! She will lay on top of me when I am in bed, but it tends to make my back hurt after about 10 min. My puppy, Finch, likes to sit in my lap too, but she's too busy to do it for very long.

Cairn's are very, very, sweet dogs. The love to cuddle but are very busy dogs. As you can tell, most will not sit in your lap for long. But...you can't ask for a more loving and FUNNY FUNNY dog!

Hi! I agree with Shoe - - - the Cairn is a funny, funny dog - - never a dull moment with one of these little guys!! I am a first-time Cairn owner and I will never have any other kind!!! Sometimes I would rather watch Riley than t.v. - - - he is much more entertaining - - - and no commercials!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Kathryn

I have had a cairn that was an incredible lap dog from the minute we brought her home, and now I have a seven-year-old who hasn't slowed down a minute. Both have been females. I think cairns also come with a wide degree in personality.

I should say, though, that although Annie (the first cairn) was a great "lap and nap" dog, it didn't diminish her need for exercise. She played a half hour game of fetch every night, at a dead run and right into her teens. If you forgot or were too busy, she'd bring her toy along and remind you, with great persistence. She also loved to sleep on our bed pillows; how many mornings did we wake up with a pillow between us while she hogged about four?

Allie will snuggle in my lap at the kitchen counter. I think she just likes to check out the snack possibilities. If she is exhausted she will nap in my lap a bit. She also sleeps on the bed but I think that's for her convenience and comfort. She is just as high energy as Annie was, and requires two long walks a day minimum, sun, rain or snow (she doesn't return the ball when she plays fetch -- hard to give her exercise when you tire too quickly from chasing her around the yard...).

We often take care of our retired neighbor's border collie, and he really seems to need less exercise than our cairn. She bosses him, by the way, and he lets her. But he is much more cuddly...

Archived