CairnTalk

Thinking of getting a Jake a cat......

texasx96

I'd love to get another cairn, but I just don't want to go through all the training right now. I was thinking that A cat might make Jake a good companion. Jake is about 3 years old. He has only been around cats briefly, and he goes nuts -- so that may make this out of the question allready. I figure though, if I get a kitten and introduce them gradually and carefully then they will get used to each other and all will be well. I thought that I'd better see if anyone had any experience with this situation before I take the plunge. Also, I did some research on cat breeds and came up with a few that are supposed to mix well with dogs. I have a Bombay, Cymric, Manx, and a British shorthair on the list. I sure would appreciate any guidance.

Here's a picture of Jake from my photoshop Calendar

JULY.jpg

Well, I went ahead and got a cat. Predictably, Jake is going nuts right now, and I cant leave them alone together without putting Jake on a leash. I figure I'll keep putting them in close proximity periodically in the hopes that Jake will get used to her and calm down. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest posting as: Duncan

I don't have any helpful suggestions but would like for you to report your progress. I've been home with Duncan all summer and will have to leave him when I go back to school in the fall. After 1 puppy I don't think I want another already and am worried about him being alone. I also thought about a cat. Please let us know how it's going.

While their relationship is far from perfect yet, the progress is astounding me. I have a picture I'll post when I get home of them sitting calmly side-by-side on the bed. The cat, Eightball, gets a little intimidated when Jake comes charging her, but most of the time, after just a couple of days, Jake is fairly calm around her. He only charges her when she starts moving around a lot. This is good sometimes though. The cat kept jumping on me when I was sleeping last night, so I called Jake over and, like a drug, Eightball was immediately calm and still.

My cats and cairns live happily side by side and have for 8 years. After a bit of adjustment time they are all members of the same pack.

Guest posting as: Diane

We have a ten year old . Mr. Murphy. Last summer someone dropped off a cat at our driveway. Our little guy has adjusted, but lets the cat know he is the boss. Once the cat learned that you don't go near his food or sleep on his bed, they put up with each other, actually they have done fine, with a few snaps here and there, there is very little upset in the household.

Archived