CairnTalk

sweet dreams riley, mommy loves you!

blueyes

on july 20th, we had to put my baby down. we are all at peace now, but the emptiness still lingers.

riley was a normal, healthy 11 year old cairn. the tuesday before the fourth of july, he had a seizure. things went down hill quickly from there. more seizures - off and on blindness - weakness in his legs. for 3 weeks we tried everything we and the vet could think of - meds, iv's, grain-free diet; things just got worse. it was finally time to make a decision. he was not going to get better - the vet believes it was a fast growing brain tumor. riley was still alive, but his spirit had been gone for 2 weeks. it was time - we knew it, and he knew it too. he went quickly, and peacfully.

the house feels empty, but i find myself smiling at familiar routines - for example, each morning after getting out of the shower - riley would be waiting outside the bathroom door. when i would open the door he would wiggle and get so excited - like i had been gone for days, and then he would lick my ankles and toes.

the decission is never easy - but, we are all at peace now. it was so painful to watch -

sweet dreams riley, mommy loves you!

that's a very heart-wrenching story. we all feel for you, we've been or we know that someday we will face the same thing. i wish you had had more time with riley, but he was very much loved, that is what matters in the end. he was a lucky boy.

That made me cry the thought of our precious one. I have been in your situation with 2 dogs and 3 cats though the years it never gets easier. I did not have another dog for many many years because I could not go thru that again. But then we got our Cairn.

They are the best dog and I am so sorry for your loss. I know your house is filled with fond memories of your beloved Riley.

cairn terriers leave pawprints on our lives

I am so very sorry your precious Riley has passed away. I know how terribly painful it is to lose such a beloved little one. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you mourn your sweet boy.

Melissa

You have our deepest sympathy for your loss. Those wondereful memories that you have will be with you forever, always there to remind you of your sweet Riley.

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss. Riley will alway be in your heart, filled with wonderful memories.

It never gets easier. I lost my Cairn girl, Missy, soon to be 5 years ago and I still miss that little princess and always will. When they leave us they take a piece of our hearts with them

Godspeed Riley, you earned your golden wings

MAKING THAT FINAL DECISION TO SAY GOOD-BYE

You're giving me a special gift,

So sorrowfully endowed,

And through these last few cherished days,

Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing

When your best friend is in pain,

And understanding earthly acts

Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,

Beyond, into your soul,

I see in you the magic, that will

Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,

Is why I look to you today,

To do this thing that must be done,

For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,

And chose you as my friend,

And why I've loved you all these years...

My partner till the end.

Please, understand just what this gift

You're giving, means to me,

It gives me back the strength I've lost,

And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,

For that is what friends do.

And know that what you do is right,

For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,

And through your hand I feel,

The courage that's within you,

To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,

Dear friend, and let me run,

Once more a strong and steady dog,

My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,

For I won't be far away,

Forever here, within your heart,

And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,

Your ever faithful friend,

And in your memories I'll run,

... a young dog once again.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

thank you all for your kind words -

and rhonda - that poem was beautiful.

it really isn't ever easy - i know that it is hard right now because it is still so "fresh", but in time it will get easier. nothing can erase his pawprints from my heart -

on a lighter note - we are looking for another one (cairn) - and have been in contact with a breeder in OK for a little guy that is only 3 weeks old. gives me comfort somehow - when he was born was about the time riley really began to slip away. will keep you all posted on the possibility of the new little one.

again - thank you for all of your kindness --

--diane

Diane,

It just the hardest thing to do ... most of us know and will know . But also the kindest. May the good memories of your sweet boy give you the strenght to remember the wonderful years you had with Riley. Rhonda's poem says it all. We lost our Scottie Sandie a year ago July 28.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Diane,

I'm glad you liked the poem and everyone else as well. Poems have true meanings and really helps us heal. I'm glad you are considering another little Cairn. I never thought I could go threw it again, I was so distraught when I lost my girl. Months went on and hubby & son surprised me with a little Cairn boy.

I was very unhappy with that, it did take me a few months to except him. But, let me tell you, when my heart was ready to except him, it was nothing but pure love and joy. He helped me so much with the grieving. He is the most lovable guy. I never had such a love bug like him. Missy was the boss, she had lots of illness's from puppy mill so she was different and not the kissy type. She was more of a loaner and a one person dog. She followed me, and she knew I was the one that helped her and cared for her for 17 great years. I wont make this a book but I'm posting you another poem to read. The last paragraph is so true.

When this poem was given to me when Missy passed, I knew Kramer was meant for me to have. My hubby and son did the best thing not only for Kramer and I but, for Missy too. Hope each day is better for you and please keep us posted on hopefully a soon to be arrival.

To have loved and then said farewell, is better than to have never loved at all.

For all of the times that you have stooped and touched my head, fed me my favorite treat and returned the love that I so unconditionally gave to you.

For the care that you gave to me so unselfishly.

For all of these things I am grateful and thankful.

I ask that you not grieve for the loss, but rejoice in the fact that we lived, loved and touched each others lives. My life was fuller because you were there, not as a master/owner, but as my FRIEND.

Today I am as I was in my youth. The grass is always green, butterflies flit among the flowers and the Sun shines gently down upon all of God's creatures.

I can run, jump, play and do all of the things that I did in my youth. There is no sickness, no aching joints and no regrets and no aging.

We await the arrival of our lifelong companions and know that togetherness is forever.

You live in our hearts as we do in yours. Companions such as you are so rare and unique.

Don't hold the love that you have within yourself. Give it to another like me and then I will live forever. For love never really dies, and you are loved and missed as surely as we are.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Hoping you feel continued peace through the days ahead.

Becky & Tanner

Archived