CairnTalk

My Cairn Puppy's Ears

We just got a 10 week old Cairn Terrier puppy, and his ears are folded over similar to a Norfolk Terrier. We love this pup which we got as a family pet, so we are not concerned about breeding quality, but I am curious if his ears will stay like this, and if this is common in Cairns.

My little girl is just about 5 months and her right ear is standing all the time and her lest is doingit more and more. They should stand, but if they don't they are still cute!!!!

• 2 months later...

My 12 week old has one ear up and one ear down.

I have no intention of showing her, so I am not worried about the appearance. I wonder if it's good for the dog or effects their hearing or health to have one up and one down.

I have been through the rigors of ear-taping with an English Bull Terrier.

Tapes and tampons did the trick, though I spent a far amount of time explaining that we did NOT have his ears clipped.

Does anyone have taping recommendations? Should you avoid it with Cairns?

Not necessary!! Pups only 12 weeks, give it some time. I was concerned but now at 6 months they are both standing. No health problems if they both don't stand. Maybe if there are enough Cairn's with rose bud ears, they will make them a new breed. Like the norwich and the norfolk terriers, only difference between the two is their ears!!!

cairn puppy ears can do some strange things. some are never tipped others go up and down. i strip my puppies as soon as the fluffy puppy coat is being replaced by the harder coat underneath. at this time i make sure that the ears have no long hairs. it's like picking lint off a sweater and you won't hurt him if the hair is ready to come out. without the wieght of all that hair the ears should stand up when they are ready. teething can also cause them to go back down. don't worry they should come back up by the time he's six months old

• 1 month later...

Our Suzie only had one ear up for the longest time. It was so cute, and my mother-in-law hoped it would stay like that. As she reached the 6 month mark, her other ear started popping up and after a couple of weeks, it went up and stayed.

• 3 months later...

We brought home our Cairn, Luigi, last week at 7 weeks and within 3 days of being home Louie's ears went straight up. They were so cute cocked down but now they are even cuter straight up - we think he looks a bit like a rabbit.

We just love our new puppy...

We have a 12 week old pup. We picked her up at 8 weeks and she had one ear up, one down, but by the end of the first week, both ears were up. But when she runs, the one ear still flops a little.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Archived