CairnTalk

Can my Cairn travel on an airline?

grillywarren

Help! The airline said the space under the seat is 17" long, 12" wide, and 8" high.

I really don't think this will work. Can anyone help? I am thinkinf of buying a Sherpa

but now I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How big is your cairn, and does he fit into a Sherpa bag?

We have taken 12-pound Wes on several airline trips. He seems to cope better than I do. The next time we fly I am thinking of getting a Sherpa bag with wheels.

We've flown with medium and large, depending on how big the dog is. Our 18-19 pound boy (below) uses the large. We've flown with puppies, and a standard 13-14 pound bitch, in a medium. Some airlines have a weight limit of 15 lbs, including the bag. Some will go 20 lbs. They rarely seem to check, but they can if they want to. You'll have to call the airline (or check their website) for specific pet travel restrictions they have. (How many pets in each cabin, cost, etc.) I have known people to be hassled about the ability of the dog to "stand up and turn around" -- apparently some fairly clueless agents feel that must also mean "without touching the sides or top." I'd sure like to get a passenger seat in coach with that much room! One of the reasons we like Cairns so much is that they are 'portable' and can usually go with you. These days the airlines seem to make everything as difficult as possible, but it IS still possible to take your Cairn with you. Many go to shows all over the country this way.

normal_hag-road.jpg

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

We have our tickets for Calli's first airline flight this August. She has the Sherpa medium size bag. I have been getting her used to it by taking her in the car with it all over - to the farm when we go, etc. She knows now that when she gets in it she is going someplace and doesn't have a problem. She has her stuffed, squeaky octopus and a chew toy and she is fine.

When I called the airlines they all told me that the Sherpa bag I have would NOT meet the airline requirements - BUT my sister has flown for over five years on EVERY airline - at least 3 times a year - with both of her dogs - one is in a small Sherpa bag and the other a medium Sherpa bag. She has NEVER had a problem. I contacted Sherpa themselves and they have never had a problem either. Because the bag can be squashed down so that the back of the bag can fit under the seat and yet is not collapsable - they are "airline approved". The people on the phone may tell you that they don't meet the size requirements but my understanding is that the people who are doing the checking usually don't give people are hard time with the Sherpa bags. Delta actually has a bag with Sherpa. The Sherpa website has a good size chart for the bags.

Thanks so much for all the information! You guys are great!

We are going to check out the medium Sherpa bag today. I

hope it works. I do have someone who will watch Grilly, but I

think he would have more fun with us. To Calli's Mom...how big

is Calli? That is a great idea about getting the "baby" used to the

bag. Another question...has anyone every had any trouble at the airport?

Thanks for all your time.

Our first trip I was concerned because I couldn't see into the Sherpa bag. He had diarrhea the night before and I was afraid to feed him while he was in the bag. So every so often I would open the zipper and throw ice chips in.

The first airport was dog-friendly. Wes sat on my lap for a couple of hours and people were asking me what we used to get him so calm and drowsy. He was naturally that way.

When we boarded the plane, at first I put the bag on the seat and the stewardess had an aversion to dogs. "Put that thing under the seat. We may have some allergic people here!"

On the return trip home, the airport demanded I bag him right after going through security. I refused because our flight was to last 5 hours. So I stayed in the holding area until 10 minutes before take off.

Then when we finally got aboard, the plane didn't move for 1/2 hour because something suspicious was detected in the on-board baggage. So our flight was stretched into almost 6 hours.

After another trip, when we were getting off the plane, Wes started barking. And you know what a cairn bark sounds like, if he's anything like my dog...

People thought we had a ferocious beast inside. In moments we were flanked by a couple of sinister security guards. I pictured them with guns drawn. "Step away from the area. Do not take him out of that bag!"

So if anyone has any suggestions for me that would help with my next flight. PLEASE!!! I'm all ears!

Thanks.

Wow Sally, those are interesting stories. Grilly is a great traveller! He

has gone on a 10 hour car ride in his plastic travel crate. He had many

pee and water breaks and never made a peep. He is like his mommy ...

he loves to travel, but this is his first plane ride. My worst fear is that they

won't let us on the plane. Maybe I am being naive, but I think he'll be

"good" during the flight. I have decided to try a short flight (1hour) for

his first attempt.

They allow two pets on any plane at any one time. I have seen several pets on board. Once we put our sherpa bag next to a cat's and the two bags were jumping around all over the place.

Wes is a good car traveler too, but he doesn't stay in the crate that long. He loves to look out the window and have his hair blow in the wind. I like the regular crate because I can see inside.

The Sherpas are so dark. They are also made of fabric and the first thing Wes does is try to dig his way out. The fabric is pretty strong though. Wes nibbled away at the wood bottom like a beaver.

Wes is good during the flight. It's I who's the basket case. From now on, I'm putting my husband in charge of the dog.

Most other passengers don't realize their dogs would be allowed on airplanes and were happy they are. Someone told me that their dog is epileptic and every time she goes away on a business trip, her dog is so happy to see her again when she returns that he faints. So she will have him fly with her next time.

Our airport terminal#3 here in Phoenix is animal friendly. If you must have a stop-over this is a good hub to stop at. On the lower level of terminal #3 (just outside the door) there is "The Bone Yard" - a fenced landscaped area for pets and owners to rest between flights. :thumbsup:

We have a Cairn that we adopted last year called Axle and he's estimated to be 2-3 years old. I have been a fan of this site since we got him to learn/read about Cairns. We're planning to put Axle on an international flight next year and I am wondering if I should give him a dose of Benadryl before the flight. He has never flown before and gets very excited whenever he's outside the house. How much should the dosage be? Thanks!

A retired veterinarian and Cairn breeder that I have a lot of respect for suggests not sedating dogs when flying. He said that sedatives can interefere with a dog's ability to regulate its own temperature, which can be important when flying. He also says that cargo is generally safer than most of us imagine, although naturally any time our doggos are out of our sight we all tend to worry and fear the worst.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Gee...I don't know. We aren't using any type of drug. You should

probably ask your vet. How long is the flight?

We are only flying for 1 hour, but I am doing it alone. No hubby

to help out. Wish us good luck!

I agree with no drugs too.

I wanted to give Wes something on the first trip- Benadryl made him hyper

Valium made him hallucinate

by the time we got a bottle of ace promazine I researched it on the net- They can "come out of it" suddenly and become aggressive. So I didn't use it.

I did see those lamb-dogs sedated on a couple of flights. The owner even sedated hers an hour before boarding so she could read a magazine.

grilywarren - Calli is currently about 7-8 pounds - I am not sure of her height - she could probably fit in a small bag but I fgured that I wanted the bag that she should most likely fit in as a grown dog. (She was spayed at the humane society at 9 weeks so her growth is stunted a little).

Calli is also a good traveler - I think being a rescue dog - she got used to traveling all over in her first few months of life! And then when she came to us - we go away to a family farm almost every weekend. We take her in the bag to the farm and back (about 2.5 hour drive) and I will often take her in the car when I am going to run short errands (if it is not too hot out) so that she gets used to it. I actually brought her in the bag into to my daughter's preschool during her last week so she could get used to the noise all the kids make while being carted around. She can bark outside and all but so far no barking while in the bag at all. I actually like the fabric. It is hard to see in but it is easy for the dog to see out which is nice when in an airport full of people that probably aren't very "pet" friendly (I mean, they aren't baby/child friendly are they?) We have the Sherpa bag that is a tan color - I don't think that makes a difference though. It is still hard to see in which means a lot of people have no idea you are carrying a dog. But I have stuck my head in there and I have to say that the view out is much better than the view in!!

Regarding the benadryl - even the airlines suggest not drugging your animal - I read somewhere that the majority of pet deaths that occur on airlines are drug related - the temperature regulation is important - when it isn't working like normal breathing can slow down and the heart rate can fluctuate. I would suggest putting him in a bag for the next year and try taking him different places via the car or walking in noisy areas - to see how he does - if he gets used to it, etc.

Phew, thanks for the info. I am glad I asked. I now know better not to drug the chap and hopefully he'll just be good and stay quiet in the cargo. :whistle: We did recently purchase a smaller size kennel and have been training Axle to 'kennel up' whenever we bring him to the park. Hopefully he'll be used to the kennel by the time we fly.

BTW, I have not discussed the 'drugging' issue with my vet yet but it will be on my to-do list.

Guest girliejr

Isqueary,

You said you were traveling internationally..... have you checked with the country you are flying to to make sure it is ok to bring him in the country? I have a friend that wanted to take her dog to Germany and the German law is that an animal brought in has to be quarantined for (I think) two weeks.

Just make sure before you take your dog that you don't have to leave him quarantined in a strange place for two weeks (or whatever amount of time).

I haven't ventured to take Jack on an airplane yet, but I am a former flight attendant and I know most airlines allow up to two dogs in the cabin at a time. You have to tell them when you make your reservation and they charge you around $50 (maybe a little less). They do have weight restrictions, so double check with the rep when you make your reservation. I do know that Southwest Airlines does NOT allow pets in the cabin (with the exception of certified assistance animals), so don't make the mistake that a lot of people have made and try to sneak your pet on. Just fly another airline if you are taking your dog!

Hope this helps!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Kathryn

WARNING ABOUT PUTTING YOUR DOG IN CARGO:

Saw the earlier post about how safe it is to put a dog in cargo, and had to give this alert. We now fly our dog ONLY when we can take her on board. We live in Minnesota and, several years ago, visited in-laws in northern California during January. We drove back into San Francisco (two hours from our in-laws) to take the return flight, only to find that the temperature in Minnesota was too cold for them to accept a dog in cargo. They absolutely refused to take her. So here we were in San Francisco with tickets and no way to fly the dog. Finally they agreed to find a kennel for her for a day or two, and we took off. But when she arrived, it was clear that the kennel hadn't taken her out of her kennel -- she has soiled her kennel and bed badly, and really was both hungry and thirsty. I never flew her again.

BE CAREFUL IF FLYING WITH A DOG IN CARGO DURING THE WINTER. MOST AIRLINES SIMPLY WILL NOT PUT THE ANIMAL IN CARGO WHEN THE TEMP IS TOO LOW. And that can leave you stranded.

Archived