CairnTalk

Has anyone heard of High Meadows Kennel

tricia madden

We are considering getting a family pet from a breeder in Northern Idaho - High Meadows Kennel - has a great website and nice communication with Bobbie however I am worried about puppy mills in disguise. Kennel is not registered with BBB in Idaho - just wondering if anyone knows of this kennel and has any recommendations.

thanks

Tricia

Hi ... good for you for doing some research! Just so you are prepared, please understand that pretty much any response about a specific breeder is going to have to be by PM (private message) or email as any positive response would be taken as an endorsement of a breeder (and deleted per forum guidelines). In a way, even negative responses that are specific to a breeder are probably not a great idea for public posts.

I purposely have not looked at this kennel's site yet so as not to be responding to it specifically -- so some generic things I tend to look for as possible red flags when I do look at any breeder's web site are things like multiple breeds offered for sale (like three or more -- it's not unusual for a couple to have two breeds - when "dog people" marry it's not so unusual for them to come from different breeds, for instance), shipping, cost, and payment information included, signs that background checks of *buyers* is light or lacking, lack of any sign of participation in regional or national Cairn organizations, lack of show activity (I google kennel names to find catalog listings from shows), lack of information about specific genetic and health testing performed, exclusive use of owned kennel dogs for sires (any use of the term "breeding pair" gives me apoplexy). Indeed any suggestion that the site exists primarily for the purpose of serving "customers" is a complete turn-off to me. Most of the breeders I respect - if they have web sites at all - have sites that are primarily informative, tend toward celebrations of their dogs and activities, and tend to peripherally provide enough contact information to permit an interested Cairn seeker to initiate a serious dialog.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

You also may want to cross reference any kennel with the CTCA listings. Viewing some webpages linked from there may give you a good idea of what you should expect to see from a quality breeder. Also, a couple things I've seen that bradl did not mention...good breeders seem to rarely list prices on their webpage. also, good breeders typically show their dogs and you'll see that their dogs have won some titles.

Also, any kind of "pay now" button that links to paypal or some credit card site... is a major warning that this is a business....

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

I have seen their website. I do not know anything about them. We got Cassie from Idaho but not from them. Usually a breeder will quickly launch into a discussion about bloodlines and show results if they know their stuff. Personally I would have a talk with them to see if you want to investigate further. Almost everyone has their own idea of what a cairn should be, ask them what that is and why they think so.

• 2 years later...

Where's the website? May I look at it, please? My friend wants to get a puppy too, and same as you, from a kennel in Idaho. I should look at it for clarification.

As always, while I am a member of the CTCA I do not speak for the Cairn Terrier Club of America; however, given that the CTCA hosts this forum I believe I can safely conclude that the CTCA recommends breeders associated with the Cairn Terrier Club of America or its regional affiliated clubs. CTCA breeder referral.

Just a reminder ... anything resembling a referral or recommendation of individual breeders must take place offline (PM or email). Thanks.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived