CairnTalk

What's a normal price to pay for a Cairn?

ghughes

What can you expect to pay on average for a well-bred, healthy dog? Is the price different for males and females? I purchased my Cairn from a new breeder and payed $375. Is this normal? ;)

Hi,

I have a male Cairn that I bought seven months ago. My cost was $450.00 from a reputable breeder. This puppy has champions on both his mother's and father's side so I think I got a great deal. Females from champion lines from the same breeder were $550 to $600 so they are more expensive than males. Sounds like you paid a very fair price. I hope you enjoy your Cairn as much as I am enjoying mine.

Mike

We paid $500 from a breeder in SC but the local breeder here in Knoxville charges $1000 for her pet pups and makes a home visitation!! :whistle:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hi! We paid $350 for the dog plus $200 to have him shipped - - and then another $7,000 + to have his "liver shunt" ligated - - - all in all - - - the whole family feels we got our monies' worth!!! Although we didn't count on having a "sick" little dog - - he definitely was worth the investment - - Riley is a special boy!!

Guest posting as: ghughes

Thanks for the information. I live in Alabama and have been looking for a special dog. I read up on Cairn Terriers on the internet and decided that it could be a great dog for me and my new husband. I started searching the local paper and was estatic when I found an ad for a litter of 4 about 20 minutes from where I live. We're really happy with our investment.

Our baby came from British Columbia, paid $650 for him and then $200 for shipping and his crate...I think it was a worthwhile investment. I found another breeder in Long Island NY only 4 hours from us but she wanted $1200 for a pup.

I think so much depends on where you live and and the puppy's mother and father. We bought our first Cairn from an owner that had the puppy for 3 weeks, but had to give her up due to family problems. We paid $250 for Scout. We are not sure about her parents, but were told that her father had champion blood in him. We didn't care...we just wanted a Cairn to love!

We have a 3.5 month old puppy that we paid the breeder $550 for. She has champion blood in (not sure how this is stated) her, but we, again, just wanted a sweet Cairn to love. :P

I've been checking out breeders in my local because I really want another Cairn (Yes, I still have my sanity and yes, I know what I'm getting into having three of them) :shock:

One of the breeders I spoke with was charging $1200 for a pup and that was only if I QUALIFIED to receive one. I do not breed nor do I show. My dogs are pets and here for love. I went as far as to invited him to my residence to see how my girls are raised, their environment and meet them (fenced in yard, stone wall, gardens to destory...what more would a Cairn want?)

Right now I'm still looking for a new Cairn from a reputable breeder who will charge me a reasonable fee, trust me that I'm going to give her/his pup the best life possible and be there if I need advice.

Just to put in a word for hard-working, responsible breeders. They put you through the third degree or are demanding not because they care whether you are showing or not, but because they are placing in your hands the result of tens of thousands of hours of their time, effort, education, dreams, and heartbreak. These are adoptions to many if not most breeders, not a sale of a product.

People's opinion about what is or is not a responsible breeder varies. To me, speaking only for myself, these are some (not all) of the hallmarks of a breeder I would consider getting a puppy from:

• will take the dog back forever, for any reason
  • will take my calls and mentor me (in essence, serving the purpose that this board serves!)
  • will personally teach me how to groom my dog, for free
  • shows actively, allowing others to pass judgment on the quality of their breeding
  • if too busy to do so themselves, ensures that at least some of the dogs they place are worked in performance events such as obedience, agility, and earthdog
  • is active in both national and local breed clubs, showing a commitment to the breed itself, not just profiting from it
  • can tell me specifically why the particular breeding was done, what they hoped to achieve from it, to what extent their intent was realized, where the dog falls short of the breed standard, and what the dog's strengths are relative to the standard
  • would refuse to sell a dog into a situation they felt uncomfortable with
  • is aware of genetic issues in the breed and tests for as much as feasible
  • can tell me about the personalities and quirks of three or more generations back of the dog I'm looking at
  • will expect cards and pictures on birthdays and for significant achievements
  • is more concerned with matching the right dog to the right owner than in placing the dog at all

"The price" is very dependent on the area of the country. In our area, well-bred Cairns from responsible breeders are 800-1000. Puppies from 'backyard breeders' (to differentiate from dedicated 'hobby breeders' - which is what most breeders these days really are) can be had for considerably less.

I realize this is apples-to-oranges, but if you think Cairn prices are high, spend a little time and research what it would take to get a responsibly-bred Norwich or Norfolk!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest Grumpy

I paid $140 (AU) for Georgie FuzzButt from the lost dogs home. This included desexing, all vaccinations, microchipping and worming. No.....she didnt come with papers with a fancy lineage, but she is the bestest little dog in the world!!!!!!

Exactly!! :wub:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Guest girliejr

I paid $350 for Jack from a pet store (I know, I know!!). I was an uneducated dog shopper who wasn't even looking for a puppy! I actually went to adopt a kitten. I found Jack at a pet store (they had a $600 price tag on him, but I quickly realized they would come down) and fell in love with him instantly. I didn't even know what a Cairn was! I bought him and went home and read about Cairns on the internet. I know now how horrible it is to buy a dog at a pet store and I know first hand why. Jack was a "sick little dog" as well. He didn't LOOK sick, but he had everything from mange to worms to kennel cough. After spending well over $1000 in vet bills in the first two months of having him, I realized that I didn't get such a "bargain" at the pet store! But, of course, Jack was worth it!! He is the best "impulse buy" I ever made!! Not to mention, he is healty now!

• 2 weeks later...

We paid $1000 for Murphy from an incredible breeder/international show judge. Since the breeder was borderline on showing her (championship pedigree up the wazoo but some possible "flaws"), she opted to give her to a good family as a pet. She refunded us $100 when we provided proof of spay. Tho the breeder interviewed us extensively, we felt very good knowing that this woman cared about her pups & was protecting her hard earned investment. Murphy is truly a beautiful, well-behaved pooch. The good breeding shows.

Three months later we got Trapper (a 2 1/2-year old) thru our area's Cairn Club rescue component. His "fee" was a $350 donation. We didn't know of his pedigree or much about his background but he is a love bug. He's got the Floating Kneecap thing happening, is somewhat smaller than breed standard & hasn't been obedience trained. But we LOVE him dearly!

Cairns are a wonderful breed & whatever you pay is well worth it. But DO stay away from Puppy Mills, Pet stores & backyard hobby breeders!! BRADL's comments about breeders is so true & worth careful consideration. Hooray!

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

Guest osuvicki

I think the old saying..."you get what you pay for" really fits with puppies. When I started looking for a Cairn...I checked the local papers and found two liters of pups. But when I started asking questions via phone or email about number of liters, vet care, medical histories, etc., etc., both breeders refused to speak to me. Both were only interested in getting my $500.00 and neither asked me any questions about the type of home I would provide. It was a whole different experience talking with Cairn breeders through this site. ALL questions were answered, the puppy was guaranteed for its health, "I" was interviewed and interviewed regarding my beliefs and attitudes about raising the puppy....and while Grace cost me $800.00 plus my travel expenses to get her......she is worth every penny. People comment on how happy and healthy and beautiful and well-behaved she is (Ok...they don't see her chewing my caned chairs...lol) and I am sure she will grow into a healthy, happy dog. I would never have felt that secure about the "puppy mill" pups.... She was not bred to sell....she was bred to show and that makes a huge difference.

I paid $1000 for Rebel and could not get him until the bile acid test was back. He had to be at least 10 weeks old I think. I got him as a pet only, he is a really big cairn at 21 lbs but he is wonderful and such a joy. I got to meet his Mom and Dad before he was born and then I got to pick him out when he was 3 weeks old. The tough part was waiting until he could come home and knowing if the test came back and he had a live shunt that I wouldn't get him. But he was ok and I have my Rebel.

One day I hope to get a female and I think I would get a brindle one and maybe even show her. I figured after owning a pet for several years I would be able to get one to show. Who knows, it will have to wait for a couple of years and for now I get to enjoy all the folks on this web site who bring home the little bundles of joy and my wonderful Reb.

Right now I enjoy seeing the puppies and then seeing what they look like months later.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Our Tori was $1,000.00 , she is worth every penny, although I wish I could breed her(we have a non breeding agreement and registration). She is beautiful inside and out. I breed horses and I understand that only a very few (in our breed the top 10% are considered the highest quality) and those do demand a higher purchase in the market, but how high can a Cairn be priced for a good breeding individual ?

Archived