Jump to content
CairnTalk

AKC: Health

  • entries
    655
  • comments
    6
  • views
    9,526

Dog Ate Candy: What to Do if Your Dog Got Into Sweets


Rss Bot

73 views

 Share

So your dog ate candy. The first step is to figure out what type and quantity of candy your dog consumed.

The biggest concern with candy (that isn’t chocolate) is the risk of the ingredient xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol commonly used as an artificial sweetener and is toxic to pets. This ingredient is often used in sugar-free items but has been showing up in more and more foods every day even when they aren’t labeled as sugar-free. Most often, xylitol is found in sugar-free gum, sugar-free candy, and sugar-free baked goods.

Dogs are increasingly at risk for potential exposure to these products because more and more of them contain xylitol. It damages the dog’s liver, and clinical signs of “intoxication” (poisoning) can develop in as little as 30 minutes to an hour. Ingestion causes a massive insulin release. The blood-sugar drop (hypoglycemia) that results can cause weakness, stumbling, collapse, and even seizures. After this stage, signs of liver disease develop.

If detected early enough—within two hours—affected dogs can be made to vomit. If full-blown symptoms of hypoglycemia appear, your dog must be treated by a veterinarian until the animal’s blood glucose is back to normal.

Uno-Beagle-Therapy-DogBeagle rummaging through a kitchen drawer.

For many small breeds, xylitol poisoning can be fatal without early veterinary intervention. There is no know antidote for xylitol intoxication and the only therapy is supportive. Treatment goals are the correction of hypoglycemia and prevention of developing acute liver failure.

Dogs certainly have a sweet tooth and some will gluttonously and ravenously go for any sweets they can ferret out. We need to dog-proof the house and ensure that dogs cannot get into potentially harmful things like xylitol-containing gum and candy.

Hard candy can also cause harm to dogs. Large quantities of hard candies and gum can clump up in the stomach and cause a risk of stomach obstruction.

In addition to the risk of candy itself, the wrappers can also be an issue. Wrappers can become lodged in your pet’s throat or intestinal tract, requiring surgery to remove them. Foil or cellophane wrappers have the potential to result in gastrointestinal irritation.

The post Dog Ate Candy: What to Do if Your Dog Got Into Sweets appeared first on American Kennel Club.

View the source article

 Share

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

CairnTalk.net

  • A meeting place and
    online scrapbook for
    Cairn Terrier fanciers.

ctn-no-text-200.png

Disclaimers

  • All posts are the opinion and
    responsibility of the poster.
  • Post content © the author.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Site Guidelines | We put cookies on your device to help this website work better for you. You can adjust your cookie settings; otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.