CairnTalk

Leash pulling help needed...

glo

When we first got Wrigley he was great on the leash (two weeks ago). Just 4 days ago, he started wanting to chase and run to everyone and everything on the road (joggers, other dogs, squirrels) He is not aggtressive he wants to go over and play. When he sees another dog he tries to run to it...and wimpers and yelps. My arms feel like jelly after our 1.8 mile walk each morning. Any suggestions...or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are a few keys to correcting pulling on the leash. All of them take a little time. The number 1 most important thing is having a way to get your dogs attention. My pup learned to look at me when ever i say "Look at me" This will get your dogs attention off whatever he wants to catch.

To teach sam to walk nicely at my side, i would hold a treat in my left hand and tell him how very good he was (and click my clicker) when he would slow and look at my hand.

Sam also know the command "let's go." To him that means ok, time to get up and walk next to mom.

The other thing that i find useful is that Sam is target trained, mean when i hold out a fist and say "touch", he will touch his nose to my fist.

Really though, the whole thing is about being able to distract your dog from things. This means that you need to be aware of what is going to excite Wrigley and make sure his attention is on you before you pass it. Idealy, when you are approaching something, Wrigley should be walking next to your leg and looking at you or at your hand.

Some people have also found success with special collars such as a gentle leader or haltis. My Sam HATES them though.

Good luck,

Jodie

Jodie's advice is really excellent. The clicker is wonderful for this kind of thing and it's all about attention at this stage.

To build on Jodie's advice, I'd add that sometimes it's good to 'think small' -- that is, don't head out on a two-mile walk thinking you're going to bait or entertain the dog the whole way, without working up to it from shorter walks. When working with a stubborn walker I usually resign myself to the fact that I'm going to spend a week or two taking walks that may not even leave my driveway. Start small, build on success, and always quit on a success!

Here's a way to combine 'watch me' with giving the dog a practical reason to stay close to you. Walk a very short distance with your dog's rapt attention. The minute he looks away, abrubtly change direction and walk off in the opposite direction, without breaking stride - as if here weren't even attached to you. I usually give a cue like "this way!" -- but don't slow down and let him be gently tugged off-balance if need be until he has to run to catch back up to you or be dragged -- when he reaches you --reward! Now he'll surge on in the new direction, so another About Face for you -- "this way!." You may get dizzy. Your goal here is to convince him of three things: 1. many good things happen close to you 2. we never seem to go anywhere until/unless we are walking close to each other on a loose lead, 3. you are insane and likely to dart off in random directions if he doesn't keep an eye on you, you lunatic :)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi,

Just an idea......we were having the same problem with Duffy. We had been using a neck collar and a friend who has a Westie suggested we try using a harness rather than the collar. It worked. Duffy is far more agreeable to the leash now, takes direction much better, and walks have become a pleasure.

Mike :D

Also, when I went through training with Cooper, the trainer also said that when the dog is not doing what you want him/her to do, you simply stop moving. That is exactly opposite what the dog wants to do, and once they return to your side, then you can continue on your way after praising them. She also said exactly what Brad said about changing directions, etc....they all work!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Hi Glo:

Those are great answers above. I am now trying a couple of those things with the boys. They are not slow learners - I am.

Just my two cents worth - the boys are 8 and 9 years and I recently changed from the coller to a harness. It doesn't necessarily make them stop wanting to lunge at things but it gives me much better control without hurting them by dragging on their necks with the collar.

Archived