CairnTalk

July fourth

mykidsmom

Well...we made it through another 4th of July. I am rapidly growing to hate fireworks!! They antagonize George & Gracie terribly. They were so upset this past week they forgot what housebroken is. Gracie took a dump right in front of me and looked at me with those big brown eyes as if to say she was sorry. Now don't get me wrong... George was a little stinker too (In more ways than one) He was even on a low dose tranqualizer. All it really did was make him react a little more slowly to the fireworks.

Any one else have these problems?

I've seen Madison act nervous when a thunderstorm is approaching but I was totally surprised on the 4th when the fireworks we did in our back yard (legal ones) didn't scare her. We kept both girls on the deck(secured) and they were fine. Of course we did have company over so there was a bit of distraction but all in all, they were almost "normal".

Well....all he** broke loose at our house on the 4th! We live in an mid to upper middle class neighborhood and tons of kids had big $ to spend on fireworks. On and on it went all dang night........

Toto, our oldest Cairn, has taught youngster :devil: to bark like a madman at them right along with her :shy: .

We sedated her about 5pm and she also had an 'accident'....poo right on the kitchen floor. I tend to think maybe it was the drug that caused her to lose control cause she can go 8-10 hours without going out while we are gone.

We left the house to go watch fireworks downtown and had the TV on LOUD so they couldn't hear it.

The 4th of July USED to be one of my favorite holidays.....

Cathy

Edited to add....we go thru this with thunderstorms, as well....sigh.

Cathy and Piper

Fireworks are not my favorite either. Piper has learned to hate them this year. Of course, my boys have been setting them off all week. :shy: Our neighbors spend hundreds of dollars on fireworks every year and have a huge display. We kenneled Piper, put her in our hall bathroom (with no windows) and left the stereo on loudly to drown out some of the noise. This helped immensely. She was so traumatized by the end of the night that she wouldn't even potty outside!! (She did, however, potty on the newly cleaned carpet, twice. :shock: And she has been housebroken for a long time already. It was the shock of it all, I'm sure.) She was so exhausted by the time we got home that she slept the most soundly that I've ever seen a dog sleep!! Poor thing. And every night since, the kids have been setting off just enough fireworks to make her freak out a bit. ;)

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I'm so glad to hear we weren't the only ones going through this. Now it's been raining and Princess Gracie won't go out in the rain so the potty problem just continued. Last night she did go out and went on the covered deck :shock: and this morning she went flying out the door, ran down the deck stairs and went potty outside! :D My husband and I were both going on like we did when they were puppies. Finally I looked at my husband and said it sure seems funny to be doing this when they are nearly 2 years old! He was thinking the saime thing. Maybe things can get back to normal now. I'll be taking a week off work in a couple of weeks and will be home more so they will be confused again! Oh well, maybe I can maintain a little bit of a schedule for them.

My cairn, Sam, thinks the fireworks deserved to be barked at. He was outside one night and someone was putting up a HUGE display. He barked for an hour staight. Silly puppy. Luckly though, i didn't have any other problems with him.

Hi! Riley barked a lot at the fireworks this year - - - however - - - we had a long and somewhat severe thunderstorm - - followed by another - - and another last night! Riley wanted to go outside to investigate but refused to do anything else - - it seemed every time we brought him in he would do his business in the house. He peed - - nothing else - - but it was discouraging to say the least. He is now back to normal - - no thunderstorms scheduled for the rest of the weekend!!!

Archived