CairnTalk

Grooming Needs

Guest B's Mom

Guest B's Mom

I have read about stripping the cairn terrier coat, but is this really necessary if we do not plan to show him? Since it has gotten very hot, we keep his hair trimmed short, and wash him once a month. Since we haven't stripped him, he is still very soft.

Is that okay? I don't want to increase his chances of having irritated skin, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi! I do the same with Riley - - especially since it is soooooooooooo hot and he is not a show dog - - I have him groomed and washed about every 4-6 weeks. Sometimes it is hard to discern what type of dog he is because they never cut him the same - - but I love him to death and just want him to be comfortable. He is ALWAYS beautiful in my eyes!!!!

I am not an expert since this is my first Cairn - maybe someone else can add to this. From what I've read - one of the reasons for stripping is that if the dead hair is not pulled out - the dead hair follicles will remain in teh skin - and start to get irritated and/or infected and can cause irritation to the skin. One of the things that I have found helpful is the Mars Coat King - if you brush it (with the hair) once a week - it helps pull out the dead hair.

I'm no expert either but I use the Mars Coat Kind and have had wonderful results with it. I still do a little clipping here and there...around the feet, tail and backside. I've tried to pull stray hairs off Madison's tail area but it definately causes her quite a bit of discomfort.

I only use the stripper every few months or when they start to look real straggely. I can't believe the amount of fur that comes off with that tool...could stuff a pillow! :shock:

Guest Hogan's Mom

We also use the Mars coat king-usually every 2-3 weeks. Hair is also good insulation-from cold AND heat, so we don't plan on ever getting Hogan clipped.

Hi,

My groomer tells me that Cairns coats should be "pulled" as she terms it, twice a year in order to keep their coats in the best possible condition. Duffy is currently eight months old and the groomer tells me that by the time he is 1 year, he will be ready for a complete "pulling" and fortunately, she will do that for me as I am a complete clutz when it comes to any type of grooming. :whistle:

Mike

For the absolutely best possible condition, they should be lightly pulled every ten days or so -- which obviates the need for the big head-to-toe total strip that we do, yes, about twice a year on our pets :) However the aformentioned Coat King used like a brush really does seem to be a delightfully useful tool for keeping a groomed appearance in between those big strips. Indeed, using one may make the twice-yearly Big Strip much less work as there will be some live coat mixed in there, instead of just a big, dead, scraggly Yak coat like I'm usually facing. (I am a horrible and lazy groomer.)

I also agree with Hogan's mom about the beneficial insulative properties of double coats. Here is a very interesting article about Temperature Adaptation in Northern Dogs that is probably relevant to our hardy highland companions.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I am curious, what size Mars Coat King would you use for a Cairn. My Jake is 7 months old and about 11 lbs. I was looking at them on a website and I wasn't sure what size would be good.

Thanks

Archived