CairnTalk

Grooming

njdevil

I don't know the answer to that. I *believe* the breeder who rescued Calli did the full "puppy" strip as she had extremely short hair and was extremely well groomed when we picked her up. She has since grown a nice, wirey overcoat - but it isn't very long. It is extremely dense - but it isn't as long as the picture you had of Scout (pre-stripped). It is definitely growing - I am curious as well. I am still waiting for that shaggy Cairn look myself. Calli is 5 months.

I've been told a half-inch per month for the jacket. With an ideal length of about two inches, four months from total undercoat to normal coat feels about right. Different parts of the body grow hair at different rates. Jacket fast; legs slow. Disclaimer: I am a grooming train-wreck so you would be wise to seek other more experienced sources.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

If I want to try to cut the nails myself, what is the best way to do so without hurting the pup given his black nails (wish he had white ones!).

Thanks.

Milopup

There is a thread below about nails - and I posted a good article there that shows - at the bottom - a pattern in the nail to look for that tells you when you are getting close to the quick. I always do Calli's nails when she is sleeping/napping - and am able to get all 4 paws done at a time. I would start off getting him ready - when she is sleeping- pick up a paw and gently squeeze it so that the nails spread out. Do this to the all the paws so that he gets used to you playing with them while he sleeps. That is all you will have to do when you are clipping - GENTLY holding the paw so that the nails spread out a little. I have to tell you that the first time espcially I was terrified. But each time - it became easier and easier. Now it is no big deal. I start off by taking small pieces off at a time until I get to that pattern. I did cut the quick once - my second time - but we both survived it. You will want to get stypic powder or swabs to stop the bleeding - but if you don't have any - just pressure on the nail will work. that was my biggest fear and once I realized that it wasn't as bad as I though it would be - it became even easier. (And I haven't cut it again yet).

Sorry to keep asking about this, but alas I do not have anyone near me who knows how to do a proper stripping for a cairn terrier coat, and the people at Petsmart just keep recommending a standard once a month grooming package. :(

If I use the Mars # 16 (already on order, thanks for the recommendation!), and wipe him down once a week with a bath wipe (or maybe bath him once a month with a moisturizing bath soap), trim the hair around his eyes and ears, and do his nails, what else will I need to do? do I need to brush him? if so, with what kind of brush? I tried the zoom groom brush from kong but he hated it. :(

Also, will I still need to do a full strip once or twice a year if I use the Mars a couple of times a month? The problem again is no one near me knows how to do a stripping of the terrier coat.

Thank you all so much in advance. :wub:

Milopup

Don't worry - I am as new to this as you!!

I have the CTCA grooming book and it talks about "rolling" the coat - that if you continuously strip some of the dead hair off - and new hair is continuously growing in - then you are "rolling" the coat and don't necessarily need the full strip. I read somewhere on this board - in the back posts - someone used the Mars Coat King to roll her Cairns coat and felt that she didn't need to have her Cairn fully stripped. Otherwise - you can use the Mars - (very lightly) as a brush once or once every other week or once a month to get some dead hair out and then use it more like shoe did once or twice a year to do your own stripping.

I still brush Calli - I have too many brushes - I have a comb, a pin brush and a slicker brush. But I have to say that both Calli and I prefer the slicker brush. I do use the comb and pin brush more around her face but find that the slicker brush does a good job on the rest of her.

I have actually found that brushing her keeps her pretty clean - gets a lot of the dirt out (especially since most of the dirt stays on the overcoat) - and keeps her from being to stinky. (I have a REAL problem with stinky dogs). I remember thinking - "How am I going to do this?" when I found out that she couldn't have frequent bath. But I have to say that it hasn't been a problem so far. And I am extremely sensitive to doggy smells. You may find that with grooming you are doing - you won't need to bath her as often as you would think. Again - though - every Cairn is different. Some do okay with a more frequent bath. I would definitley get something for sensitive skin - nothing perfumy, etc. If he starts to itch - then stop the baths. But I *believe* that they need the oils to protect their sensitive skin - so frequent washings wash tend to wash the oils out! And again - I have had success with just a plain water bath.

I say ask away!

Thanks for the suggestions. I just wish my pup would stay still to let me brush him. I almost feel at almost 10 months, it is too late. :( I have tried several brushes, but he hated them all (the people at Petsmart cringe when they see me, because I return so many things). I also tried playing with his paws when he was asleep, in anticipation of cutting them someday, but he just snatched them away. :( Ugh, I often feel I am just not cut out for this cairn parenthood thing. :confused:

I have a brush with rubber balls on the end of the bristles.

Wes loves to be brushed- I found that out just recently. When I say, "Do you want me to comb you?" he runs over eagerly.

At first I just did his back, sides and behind. Then a few days later, the top of his head. After that, I held up his chin and did his chest. Now I feel I can start brushing his face.

Milopup-I would suggest that if you have a jumpy dog that you continue to handle them often, eventually they should get used to it. But there are other factors here too, dogs personality, owner etc. I actually tested my pup before I got him for this specific reason, I don't want a dog that jumps around too much when I am trying to groom him. I put my pup on his back on my thighs with my legs together and he fell asleep. He looked at me a little scared at first but I comforted him and told him it was ok. Eventually they SHOULD grow to trust that you are just trying to help and clean them up a bit, like a mother would for them. Also, timing can be key here, try the handling after some good long exercise when they are feeling less like they want to play. Some dogs are as frisky as a jumping bean and it is tougher to deal with, but you can do it in time. Just keep handling them often while he/she is still young and as they get older and more mature it should improve. Good luck! :D

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Archived