CairnTalk

HSUS...Love 'em!...Hate 'em!...Never even heard of 'em!

mattoleriver

I read a few different dog oriented bulletin boards each day and it is usually very obvious how the majority of respondents to the boards feel about the Humane Society of the United States and other AR groups. I have never really developed a sense of how Cairn Talkers might feel about HSUS. How about it, do you love 'em:wub:, do you hate 'em:mad:, have you never even heard of 'em?

Personally, I am not a fan of the HSUS. Hate 'em! (If that is too inflammatory I have just a really strong dislike for them!)

I am not trying to influence anybody to my point of view so I will spare you the details of why I feel this way.:)

George

I don't quite understand what your getting at. ASPCA? Nation wide? Local Chapters? I have been a working member of a local chapter (years ago) in Phoenix, AZ and was very proud of the work we did then. As I have moved around I have learned that some chapters are good and some are very questionalble. I believe that is true of any non-profit organization. Now if you want to point the finger at PETA I am definitately against any

radical group. As far as I'm concerned they are a bunch of NUTSO's.

I contribute a couple of times a year to the ASPCA, but I am a more generous supporter of our own County Humane Society. I am kind of leery of the larger orginazations because usually the bigger they are the more money is spent on executives & overhead, and you really don't know how much of your money really goes where you want it to, which is to the rescue & care of the animals. On the local level I can give money, take in a bag of dog food, or volunteer, so I know that what I am contributing is going where it belongs. I get a lot of mail asking for money for different animal rescue orgs. like HSUS, but I only contribute to the ones I think will use the money for what it is intended.

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Idaho Cairns

Our sweetest Cairn came from a Humane Society Adoption Day--60 bucks for years and years of affection and love from that old gal--you ask me what I think about HSUS and I'll tell you I thik they are great.

Gee George, I never figured you for dropping grenades.

HSUS, despite having the name "humane society" in its name, really doesn't have anything to do with your local humane society, the ASPCA, or the many local SPCA's. They appear to be an issue advocacy group and direct-mail fundraising entity, primarily. Naming themselves as they did was a really smart move on their part as they benefit (to the tune of millions of dollars) from people's confusion.

One may agree or disagree (more, more) with their advocacy issues and methods.

To the best of my knowledge they have never addressed Cairn Terriers in any particular context, which is why this topic has been moved to Dog Park.

Wikipedia background reading has lots of links at the end to get you started if you'd like to know more about HSUS. Googling HSUS will also provide many avenues for exploration.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I'm a supporting member of the ASPCA. I donate to our local PAWS and give food and blankets when in need.

I donate as well to the St. Francis of Assisi for blessings of the animals. The humane society of the united states I have donate to as well in th past. Is there something to be against them? I don't quit get where George is coming from. I know he stated he won't go into detail. Why not? How come such a strong dislike for them.

Sharing some information may help us decide whether we are donating to the incorrect society's.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

For some reason I just can't let this topic go. The amount of mail I get asking for donations from various animal rights groups is amazing. If I gave even one dollar to each of them I would have to partition Mr. Obama for a bail-out just to pay my house payment! However, there is one organization that I do believe in and what ever I can afford goes there. It is called 'Best Friends Animal Society'. They are located in Kanabe, Utah and they do

tremendous work for animals, especially canines.

sheila and Misty

OUCH! this is a hot topic-Ill just add that all groups seem to mean well and with that they all carry things to extremes which is what causes all the controvesy. me personally I like the NSAL. and smaller groups such as colonal potter rescue. As long as someone or something is being helped that truly deserve it-Im for it. Im outta here-too hot for me.

Okay I will weigh in...

HSUS - Not my favorite bunch...but have seen some good from a few of their efforts. Unfortunately they have a stance on dog ownership and pet owners rights that I can not abide. They do not run shelters or support any that I am aware of. They are mainly a political lobbyist group. I choose not to donate to their cause at all.

ASPCA - Okay bunch. Mostly a political lobby although they do run the shelter in NYC (Made famous by Animal Planets Animal Cops show). Some of their political statements I can not agree with....but others (i.e. against breed specific legislation etc) I support. Have done much in terms of animal cruelty prosicution. However, any funds donated to them only support the political lobby and the NYC shelter...therefore I have been known to put a dollar or so in there donation can at the Pet Mart...but do not send them a check. (Also...George did not mention this org in his orginal post...).

My Local SPCA chapter - Super bunch of folks. Great wildlife resuce center. Also great domestic animals and livestock rescue programme. Offer low cost spay/nueter, vaccination clinics, and dog training programs. Conduct animal creulty investigations in partnership with local law enforcement. My only compliant is that the "No-Kill" shelter model has not been seriously investigated for their shelter. They are funded by various local donations and since they receive NOTHING form the ASPCA war chest...I gladly send them a donation on an annual basis.

It is hard to keep all these orginzations straight, as they have similar names...unfortunatley they do not all have similar goals.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Someone who is familiar with HSUS - I'm hoping you can spell it out for me...are they in any way different from PETA in their mission? My understanding of the organization is that they have an outward appearance of protecting puppies from euthanasia, but they are equally interested in hunting and fur and perhaps even a good burger for dinner? My take from what I have read is that they are a bit less extreme than PETA (Anyone see the headline that PETA tried to get Petshop Boys to change their name a couple weeks ago? right a couple weeks ago...not a couple decades ago when they last had a hit!) but have the same central mission. While PETA seems to recruit those who like to participate in public demonstrations, it seems like HSUS is more interested in recruiting ASPCA followers, but they seem to have the same goals.

Anyone?

HSUS seems less lunatic than PETA and more focused on its own particular agendas and methods. Given the well-oiled machinery of their fund-raising and PR, HSUS seems more businesslike.

I personally believe they are misguided, but in presentation some of their objectives are reasonable. As is often the case, one can debate the underlying assumptions and conclusions, even if agreeing on a basic premise. It makes me think of phony political debates where one side says something like, "Well, our party is for healthy babies!" implying another party must be somehow be against healthy babies. The issue as framed is not the real source of difference. Who isn't against needless killing of animals?

I linked above to several articles about various areas of their advocacy.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived