CairnTalk

Neutered

chubbypup

Could you please advise at what age i should get my male neutered i have been told so many different ages i dont know which is best. :confused::confused:

I believe it's around 6 months but checking with your vet and asking him/her would be your best bet.

Guest abbycairn

Hi,

I live in England and here if a dog is to be neutered (most are not) it is done later than in the U.S. Usually it is done when the dog is just mature, at about a year old. The same for bitches here, the practice is to allow them to go through one season before they are spayed.

There is no "right" answer. A dog can be neutered at any age, so the timing does not have to be precise. It's best to ask your vet.

Stacey

I was told by my vet that it's good to neuter at 6 mos. because they haven't started marking yet and this prevents them from starting. :nono: My male, Rocky, was neutered at this age and has never marked in the house. :thumbsup: Now, outside is another story. He makes sure he marks every tree, bush and trashcan along our walks! :shy:

Thela

Guest B's Mom

My little wildchild was neutered at 4 months, because he had begun marking a bit and humping stuffed animals and legs/arms. :huh:

Max was done at 6 months of age. I was leary of doing this but then started finding puddles he was leaving all over the house by lifting his leg. He made it though it without any problem and the best part...no more marking in the house.

Maxwell

Hi! Riley was neutered at 7 months of age and to this day (he is almost 16 months old) will mark anywhere in the house. He does this infrequently - - usually when I leave him alone for a little while!

Guest B's Mom

Well even though my little one was neutered at 4 months, he has started humping our legs again (he is now 9 months). Is this more a dominance thing or could there be something wrong? :huh:

Ghillie was neutered at 6 months and Smokey was 4 years. The strange thing is that Smokey never humps anything and Ghillie does. If he is really excited about playing he will try to get on Smokey. We think he is a little confused about the whole concept. We just yell "Get off your brother" and everybody calms down. Neither of the boys marks in the house and never have but they mark every blade of grass on their walks.

Duffy was neutered at five months. He is now eight months old and still squats to do his "number 1" as he had not begun to lift his leg prior to the "snip" (the Vet said that this would probably be the case). Will he ever lift his leg? It makes no difference to us, but wondered if any of you have had a similar experience.

Mike :(

B's mom - by observation (and reading books) it appears that (other than in the obvious cases of an intact male and a female in estrus) humping rarely has any sexual connotation at all and is indeed typically about pack order. Your nine-month old adolescent is probably trying in his unsubtle way to say, "I am the boss of you." We have a thirteen week-old female puppy and our nine-year old girl *routinely* humps the puppy for a few seconds whenever they get together for playtime. She is just telling the little whippersnapper to mind her manners, "I am the boss of you."

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest girliejr

To Calami and Jodie,

Jack was neutered at 6 months as well (as advised by his vet). He never hiked his leg before his surgery or for almost a year after. He started hiking his leg (outside...thank goodness) at about a year and a half! I was told he would never hike, but he does! Now when he goes out to potty, he squats half the time and hikes half the time. I guess it depends on what he is in the mood for!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Cristina Perez

My Scruffy was neutered at 6 months.. was advised to us by vet to have them neutered b4 6 months. He's no longer marking in the house but would outside.

Cristina

My pup was neutered at 4 months (earliest he could be - he was humpin and markin earlier than that!) and squats. The vet says he may never lift his leg, and may do so much later on - he told me about one dog that didn't lift his leg until he was almost 5 years old! :huh:

Calli was spayed at 9 weeks - yes - weeks is correct. She was taken to the Humane Society the same week she was purchased and their policy is to spay/neuter. She still tries to hump me (no, I am the leader of the pack, thank you) and marks outside even though she is female. Normally, though, I would agree with the rest - around 6 months is when we have had our other dogs spayed.

Archived