CairnTalk

What is your Carin afraid of?

kayharley

My fearless Winnie is terrified of books and clams....or should I say the "closing" of them. It's almost funny.

One night I was enjoying a plate of steamers and Win was in her usual spot sitting beside me looking for the dropped morsel. I had an empty shell in my hand so I reached down and made a "talking" motion with the clam. She freaked!!! Ran down the hall, tail between her legs and into her bed. The same thing when I close a book hard anywhere near her.

Madison has always been a little leary of things she's not familar with but this morning she was terrified of a vinyl glove I was putting on. She backs out of the bathroom with this terrified look on her face.

What goes through the mind of our "children?" :shock:

I had to laugh last time I took Cooper to the lake, I cut some brush back, placing it in a large trash bag which I set out by the road. Well, when we went for a walk later that evening, he saw that and must have thought it was a monster, because it took all I could to get him to go past that bag! Lord knows, he's not afraid of me!!!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

Hi! Riley is afraid of any sudden loud or shrill noises - - fire engines, sirens, the starting of a motorcycle, etc. - - but one thing that really gets him going is when I wet a paper towel - - he immediately thinks I am going after his face or butt!! Usually I am - - but every once in a while - - I am just cleaning up in the kitchen!!!!

The boys are really only afraid of firecrackers. Just the ones that make a loud bang. They don't seem to mind regular fireworks. Other than that they think they can take on the world. I wish they were a bit more afraid of bigger dogs!

Our pack shares a common fear -- that they won't be fed today! They get fed every day, but they always seem sure that today might be the awful day they don't. They find many interesting ways to communicate this fear.

feedme.jpg

Haggis is afraid of small puppies. (He jumps up on the furniture to avoid them.) He'll play with them when they get to 10-12 weeks though. Barley is afraid of tall rattly things. She was spooked as a puppy by a golf bag that came crashing down next to her unexpectedly. Echo seems to be afraid that anyone will sleep past 5:00 AM.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Calli is afraid of the dark and the sound of bullfrogs! (Put those two things together - like the pond at the farm at night - and it is all I can do to coax her to do her business!). I don't know if she is afraid of these but she certainly would like to attack these - the lawn mower, the vacuum cleaner and the hair dryer.

Guest Grumpy

Georgie Fuzz-Butt is TERRIFIED of squeaky toys.....we have to dismantle the squeaker thingy from all her chewy toys before she will go into the same room as them. Wish she was as afraid of Fillet Steak!!!!

Cinder is terrified of thunder, but not much else! We haven't had any dealings with fireworks so we're not sure about that, but I'm expecting some nervousness with it.

Emma is terrified of the ironing board because it fell on the kitchen floor once when she was nearby and made such a huge noise that she ran and hid. I think that she thinks thae vacuum is some kind of monster and even though she is afraid of it she will always attack it at least once or twice in a kind of quick sneak attack mode!!! Very, very funny.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest osuvicki

Gracie...my 4 month old is fearless.....except for the used Tickle-me-Elmo ball I bought her today. She backed off 4 feet away from it and tried to keep ME from getting near it. When triggered, the ball shakes and talks and laughs and has her totally freaked out. 200 lb dogs are child's play to her compared to this 4" ball...

I went to a used baby furniture store today and bought infant toys to keep her busy and out of trouble...balls that roll and make noise with lights, stuffed blocks strung together, rattles.....and all are made to make sure kids don't choke. And she is fine with all of those. Her favorite toy already is the sliding board! With just a few treats she learned to climb the ladder and lovesssssss sliding down the slide. lol. A kid in dog's fur...... :halo:

Duffy, my 8 1/2 month old is totally fearless. I have never had a dog like him. In my 30 years as a dog owner, every dog I've owned and loved has been afraid of one thing or another. Not Duffy. When he first came to live with us, I thought he would probably be afraid of the two psychotic female chihuahuas next door because all of the other dogs in the complex are. When I first walked him by their place they carried on something fierce. Duffy just gave it right back to them. After a few times of being "dissed" back, they have now given up and pay him no mind when we go by.

MikeC (calami)

• 2 weeks later...

Buttercup is afraid of fireworks & thunder. None of this happened until after my other Cairn died. Cody was a year younger than her. They use to sit on the back of the sofa & watch thunder storms. He died 5 years ago, & slowly she showed fear from the noises. Now I have to medicate her before a storm. I could put a cup on her back & have a milkshake in 2 minutes. It breaks my heart.

Guest Tototoo

Toto is so funny, he is scared/ attacks cars and tractors. He likes to look tough, barking and growling, but if they get too close (within 30 feet) he runs behind his Momma!

K

Guest Cristina Perez

My Scruffy is afraid of the siren.. It's funny really because we live by the main road and one time we were walking along the sidewalk and just happened that a fire truck passed by. And as soon as he heard the siren, he was barking and barking turns to howling as if he was singing! He's so cute and so funny!!! :P

• 3 weeks later...

My pup is like a different pooch when the Sun goes to bed. He is much more alert at night and runs for protection from me at the slightest noise. I think his eyesight may not be fully developed yet, but nightime is a funny time with my dog. I would just simply have to say he is afraid of the Boogie Man. Hopefully with maturity he will get over it. :)

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Murphy is afraid of big yellow school buses, big noisy diesel trucks & spontaneous loud noises or sudden movements. Trapper is scared of getting his nails clipped, garbage bags that are in his way on sidewalks, moving plastic bags & spontaneous loud noises or sudden movements. Fortunately, when there is a thunderstorn, my husband & I laugh at it, make a joke about it and pet our pooches so they don't seem afraid. We don't show fear & they don't MIGHT be the trick. :shock:

Linda (AKA: Murphy & Trapper's mom)

Grace is now afraid of brown leaves on the lawn.....because....last night on our walk....we went past the dumpster behind the chinese grocery store. She got there ahead of me and was sniffing the ground around it (usually VERY clean so I don't worry) and all of the sudden she yelled and ran off howling as fast as her little legs would carry her and as far as the lead would allow. When I got there...I saw what looked like a dead 4" brown salt-water crab on the ground...until it snapped its pinchers at ME. Poor Grace. It must have gotten her nose as she sniffed. Now she backs away from all brown leaves on the lawn growling as she goes.... :confused:

We had an incident this morning.....was making the bed and the bedskirt musta fluttered up?

Anyway....Piper went bonkers at it!! Barking and charging at it like there was no tomorrow! I was actually nervous for a second.....I thought maybe there was something under the bed.....LOL!

I sure hope that was the end of it as he has just started being allowed to sleep with me in the bed at night :whistle: .......

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Hmmm, CathyAnn, your Piper and my Piper sound suspiciously alike. :D My Piper barks at the oddest things. :whistle:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Archived