CairnTalk

TDI Evaluation

eastofeden

Friday evening Greysen passed his TDI Therapy Dog evaluation.

We are now in process of getting through the paperwork to be able to work in our local hospital (involves standard volunteer background check on me and training that the hospital offers). It looks like we will work pediatrics...as our local program has a majority of large dogs which have been a bit two intimidating because of size for many children.

The young boys who were helping with the evaluation (testing the dogs reaction around children) just LOVED Greysen and could not wait to get to meet the Toto dog.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Hey, I knew a great pup named Greysen. I don't suppose your guy grew up just a little south of Portland?

Congratulations on passing the TDI evaluation!

George

Congrats on passing the Therapy dog evaluation. I had to drop Skipper out afer three weeks of Therapy training to work on his too enthusiastic approach to other dogs, Skipp wanted to play. He did very well when it came to meeting people, a huge plus on his side. We start again in September with a new and improved Skipper. As you percieved, there is a lacking in the small dog area in Pet therapy, at least in this area, as people do like the small active dog and not as intimidated by them, So good luck to you and enjoy

What is involved in the test? Is it hard? Are they really strict? I am going to do it with Dozer and I am getting all nervous like it is a final exam in college, lol.

Congrats!!!!

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Well George, I would not at all be surprised if you know my boy :thumbsup: He is orginally from just south of Portland and came to live with me this past November. He is a GREAT dog...and will be making his debut in the obedience ring very soon.

Jessica - Here is the link to TDI's evaluation.

http://www.tdi-dog.org/images/TestingBrochure.pdf

Based off of the CGC. There are other Therapy dog orginzations out there who may have different requirements than TDI. Basically they want a well mannered dog, we behaved dog, that is outgoing and are very tolerable of people.

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

I am so bummed out, it says the dog has to be one year old. Dozer is only 6 months but I know he would pass it. He is so laid back.

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is awesome.

My little one just started obedience training; we hope to do CGC and then go for TDI with him, but I definitely want to take my time with it and be sure he gets as much as possible out of the training before we push the tests. I do a lot of volunteer work with youth in schools and it would be great to extend this into different settings and involve Maxwell. He would love it so much, and I know the kids just eat it up!

• 1 month later...

I am interested in CGC and therapy dog training and evaluation. How do I find a place to get training in this? Or do I just go through regular obedience training and then get the evaluations performed?

Sorry if my questions seem naive. I am new to dog ownership but am a Pediatrician myself and would love to be be able to have a therapy dog.

Thanks! :)

You can go about it either way. There are several places that offer training geared towards these evaluations. The dog club I belong to gears our beggining training class towards CGC exercises....as these at a minimum allow you to have a dog with good household manners. Basically a well behaved dog that responds to commands can pass these tests.

The link above to TDI will give you an idea of what they are looking for. Go to AKC.org and you can find the CGC info on their website.

Good luck and have fun!

Archived