CairnTalk

2009 Westminster

Greg P

Congratulations and good luck to the Cairns and their owner/handlers participating tomorrow at the Westminster show. I'm looking forward to seeing the annual breed video!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

post-2067-1234193792_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to CH Dogwood Love Affair, 2009 Westminster Best of Breed Winner!

Best of Opposite Sex: Ch Hjohoo's Best Wishes To Hjo

Award of Merit Cairns are:

Ch Maverston California Dreamin'

Ch Brehannon's Codbank Inferno

Here is a link to the Cairn Westminster Entires: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2009/...reed/cairn.html

Perhaps Brad L can put this to the "Best of Breed" area. (I goofed when posting!)

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Isn't this the 3rd time Romeo has won Breed at Westminster?

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Lovely looking dog that was best.

Interesting the best of opposite sex - there is a couple of Hjohoos in Holly's pedigree!

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Isn't this the 3rd time Romeo has won Breed at Westminster?

Don't think so. Joe Vernuccio won the last 2 years with Kylie and Junior. Perhaps his second?

Greg and Val Perry

The BOB video is up and running.

http://video.westminsterkennelclub.org/player/?id=1001002

Watch to see what the AOM dog does toward the end of the video! :whistle:

Greg and Val Perry

Just like a Cairn, letting everyone know what he/she thinks about the whole thing...

Why is it that Cairns are the only dogs shown with a loose leash?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I'm just as confused. This was the second dog that was turned away for "conflict of interest" That little Cairn was beautiful and walked away so gracefully. I'm so discussed about this. Why, I wonder did this happen.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I've been watching this show on and off for over 20 years, I've never seen that happen before. Bummed me right out, thought Cairns don't normally advance in the group, I still love to see them show.

I know how disappointing...i dunno why there was a conflict of interest maybe the handler worked with the judge in the past or something

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

From what I understand, the judge, Peter Green, was formerly Romeo's handler.

The present handler may have a financial interest with the judge. (Sold business to him? Partners? -- not really clear on this)

I agree it was a darn shame for this to happen. My wife and I had a discussion this morning wondering what the heck would happen in the Group ring becuase of Romeo's close ties with the judge. I guess we now know!

I'll be watching on USA channel starting 8PM PST. Is it true the Airdale was also dismissed? I suspect for the same reason.

Darn, Romeo certainly enjoyed his time in the ring this morning. I'm sure everyone involved is feeling let down right about now. Oh well, no Westminster BIS for the Cairn this year!

Greg and Val Perry

Just like a Cairn, letting everyone know what he/she thinks about the whole thing...

Why is it that Cairns are the only dogs shown with a loose leash?

Great question. I choose to think because they are non-frilly little working dogs! I love seeing them handled on the loose lead as it allows us to see their movement and carriage better. I thought the show attitudes today exhibited in the breed ring were wonderful.

I watched the video of the wire hair fox terriers parade around all strung up. Their choppy legged front movement looks completely unnatural to me.

Greg and Val Perry

I was at the dog show tonight, and suddenly, at the beginning of the terrier judging, the cairn terrier and handler had to leave the ring. This was just as they were being announced to be judged. Someone by me told me the Airedale had also already had to leave. They also said it had something to do with the judging which I just didn't understand.

I couldn't understand what happened that had to be so serious that they would break hearts, and waste an incredible amount of people's time and money.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thank you.

Kam

Yes, the cairn and airedale were excused because of the relationships Peter has had with the dogs and/or the airedale's handler Ernesto. Ernesto used to work for Peter for many years and leased his business from him when Peter retired as a handler. Ernesto continues to rent a facility from Peter and it's right next door to Peter's home so Peter sees the dogs everyday. Romeo was shown extensively by The Green Team and Ernesto is his current handler. An assistant was handling Romeo last night in Group, but it doesn't matter. Everyone (judges, owners, handlers) knew this was a possibility when they entered the show if the 2 dogs won breed and would go to Group because they'd already announced Peter would be the Group judge. They still entered because it's an honor to be invited and especially to win Best of Breed there. After that happened, they knew the dogs would be excused as they came up to Peter to be judged. They weren't upset or bothered. Just switching handlers is not an option as shown by Romeo being with the assistant. In regular breed shows, Romeo is not entered if Peter is a judge.

There are similar rules in performance events. Obed and rally forbid showing to a judge you've trained with in the past 12 months. I've had to skip certain Rally shows because of that. Agility judges usually travel a bit in order to avoid judging people they may teach. Last year during the winter, one of our planned agility judges couldnt' get to the show due to bad weather so they asked a local guy who was entered in the trial to fill in. He did and his wife had to pull her entries because she's not allowed to show under him. They refunded her money of course. He doesn't teach anywhere so she was the only one affected.

Karen

Karen explained it very well. My only wish given the circumstances and outcome would have been that Mr. Green give the two excused dogs the opportunity to do a full down and back before (or even after) excusing them, so that that crowd (and tv) could have equal time and opportunity to see the breed, even if it was not being judged.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

On past Westminster shows they pointed out that Cairns are the only breed required to be shown on a loose lead. And yes the Airedale was dismissed for the same reason. Why wouldn't they have gotten another handler if they knew Green was going to be the judge. My dog's breeder sent a dog to Westminster several years ago and she got beat by dog whose handler had worked for Green..(he was the judge) .the Green Machine they call it...

Karen, Thanks for explaining the conflict so well.

Brad, I agree with you 100% - by making it to the group judging, the dogs should have at least gotten their 30 seconds in front of the whole arena to acknowledge the best of breed accomplishment and so the crowd to have the opportunity to appreciate the best of these two wonderful breeds!

I'm curious to know more about the loose lead issue - so the cairn is the only dog of ALL breeds required to be on a loose lead? This seems like an odd standard. I understand that this goes with the intended purpose of a cairn, etc, but it is curious that the standards don't apply to his cousins such as the westie. Anyone who can enlighten on this??

A partial list of other breeds whose standard mentions being shown on a loose lead includes the Havanese, Sussex Spaniel, Shiba Inu, Siberian Husky, Flat Coated Retriever, Yorkshire Terrier. I'm sure there are more.

Westies however, can be strung up tight as you please :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

sorry, not sure what you mean by a loose lead - do you mean that other dogs are kept very close to handler but Cairns can be well away from the handler?

I only have ever watched Crufts here on TV and cannot remember what lead people had! BBC is not showing Crufts this year following the problems raised over some pedigree dogs on TV programme last year.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Archived