CairnTalk

where to start on Earthdog

Nikki

I've been wanting to get Angel started on earthdog for a while now. one of the local dog clubs offers earthdog classes. I emailed them the other day and they said probably start holding sessions after the spring thaw. that they have a good deal of work to get done between now and the June 4 day including adding a 3rd den..which I am guessing is when the day of trails

while I am waiting for the classes to start what kind of training techniques can I start to introduce with her? Am I going to have to buy rats?

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Earthdog Ins and Outs is a terrific book for learning about all aspects of earthdog. I believe it's in the process of being revised and updated, but the current version is no less a treasure.

I am very curious as to the curriculum for the class.

It's a matter of personal opinion, but I don't believe you need to, or even should, purchase rats. My philosophy is to enter tests, learn what my dog does and does not do, and then "troubleshoot" - I don't really even like to practice the full test scenario - I much prefer to keep the experience fresh for them.

That said, I *will* work on specific problems. For instance all our dogs have a problem with the Master root obstacle at some point. I will toss a few treats through a root obstacle section (no other den sections involved) to get them comfortable with that one behavior - crossing over a movable pipe - but that's about it.

Likewise for a dog constantly entering the false exit in Senior I will devise a scent game (I typically use three upside down 5-gallon buckets, one of which has a hotdog inside, and a rat tea trail to the jackpot). That requires no earthdog dens at all.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

well that good...b/c I really don't want to buy any rats lol i will have to look into finding that book! Thanks!

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

Good on you for wanting to get involved in earthdogging!

The most common thing I observe with brand new earthdog people is discouragement during those first attempts. Very few dogs are completely natural. Very few dogs are complete duds. Most have to learn how to brave entering the dark, underground tunnel. When they finally make it to the quarry, they often don't quite understand what we want them to do. Success usually comes in incremental steps.. It doesn't seem like they are doing much, but they really are. The terriers remember their lessons, but it often takes them a few weekends to figure everything out.

I built three 6x6 pine play tunnels for our puppies. They are 4 feet long and a configured with 2 corners. They raced in and out and around them almost as soon as they could walk. Also, I saw a video over the holidays where a gal built a rather elaborate tunnel scheme in her house with cardboard (appliance or furniture boxes?). She coaxed her puppy through with food and after a few moments had the puppy racing through it.

6x6 play tunnels are fine for puppies. 9x9 would be best for adults. Pine boards are pretty cheap and easy to work with

Anything you can do before and after a practice to get your cairn to think of tunnels as fun and a game should speed your progress. Just make it real, real fun.

When you do get in front of live prey, I think it's a good idea that they know what they will be going after. I like to introduce the prey and get the dog real excited above ground, first. Sometimes they need to know from the owner that it's OK to bark and throw their voice at the rat!

Trainers and judges sometimes differ in opinion on the best way to train. That being said, good trainers within the club will have experience with many work styles and common problems. Put yourself at their mercy and they'll do their best to teach you and your cairn. As Brad said, it's normally comes down to problem solving.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

You can also make a cardboard tunnel for inside, 9" X 9" just to get Angel used to running thru it, I even have one with a turn in it. The folks at Dayton are great, I've been there for some of their tests and sometimes they have practice afterward, they have helped me alot. I just wish it wasn't a 6 hour drive and I could train with them. The other thing to work on is a great recall. The intro den is usually fence pretty well, but alot of Junior dens aren't fenced very well. Earthdog is great fun!

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Here is an interesting training video that Nicole sent to me in an email that shows how the dog is taken through steps incrementally. Everything here starts above ground introducing the dog to the quarry.

You will see plenty of encouragement is given as the dog is learning the tunnels and to work the prey. Toward the end, the dog is zipping through the tunnel and the dog is barking and bar biting. Bar biting is as good as barking for the work section. Barking, whining, bar biting, digging, etc. is all considered work. The dogs have to learn to eventually work continuously for 90 seconds in pitch black conditions at the higher levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s540DFGltu0

Thanks, Nicole! Good find.

And Linda is very correct. You need to practice your recall early and often. A 25 foot tether and treats work well in the field.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Angel is like 95% reliable on recall......she always comes when called ...except once when there was a dog that looked fun to play with

Dayton is having 4 days in a row of ED trials beginning June. Thurs - Sun so lots of chances in the dens.

I've used 9 inch diameter cardboard tubes that are used to pour cement for posts and footers. They're about 4-5 ft long. You can get them at Home Depot. They are round, but I just put rolled up towels along the side to stop that. They were easy to get and practice with.

You might also look on ebay for the book. Although if someone is getting $185 for it, I think I'll sell mine!! LOL!

Karen

• 2 months later...
Dayton is having 4 days in a row of ED trials beginning June. Thurs - Sun so lots of chances in the dens.

I've used 9 inch diameter cardboard tubes that are used to pour cement for posts and footers. They're about 4-5 ft long. You can get them at Home Depot. They are round, but I just put rolled up towels along the side to stop that. They were easy to get and practice with.

You might also look on ebay for the book. Although if someone is getting $185 for it, I think I'll sell mine!! LOL!

Karen

Can someone post which club in Dayton is having the trials?

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Tracy let me know if you decide to go...I am not sure if we will be ready to compete this year but I would like go and watch the earth dog event

• 3 months later...

Are there any earthdog trials in Texas? I bet my Stewart would love this stuff! He loves to train and do tricks and this sounds right up his alley. He's pretty old though (14) but he's very capable of learning new things. I think this could keep his mind active and might help him stay healthy longer.

Also, does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions on how to build the tunnels? I've never really made anything out of wood so the more detail, the better.

Archived