CairnTalk

Duclaws

Ripster

Ripley who is now almost 2 has a duclaw, I believe thats what you call them on the back of each hind leg. They are apparently functionless. My question is should they be taken off. I have heard a recent hour story about a dog who lost a duclaw )snagged it) and almost bled to death. I have had Cairns all my life (that's a long time) and never had one w/a duclaw. Thanks for any help.

Our Pepper has it too. Just one on the left hind leg. We are going to take it out when he goes in for his neuter surgery.

Logan had them, as of this morning. They were removed at the time of his neutering as well. It's the best time to do it and according to Doc, the best thing to do.

Most reputable cairn breeders have duclaws removed when their litter is about 3 days old. It is less traumatic and does not require a put down "surgery." However, if you have a cairn that has duclaws, it is best to have them removed when they are neutered or spayed.

Thanks all for your advice. I just received a quote and it did combine the duclaws and neutering. What surprised me was that the removal of the duclaws were more than the neutering. Is there a too old time for the neutering.

Bruce/CT

Hi Ripster,

There is not a "too old" age for neutering. However, it becomes harder on a dog that's over seven because the vet's need, and often insist, on doing a lot more blood tests to confirm the dog can withstand the anesthesia. It is harder for dogs, as they get older, to recover from being put to sleep for surgery. For example, I have a 15 year old stud dog. I haven't bred him since he was 12 but by then he was too old, in my opinion, to risk having him neutered. I probably would put him through the surgery if he developed any serious prostate problems but otherwise I will not subject him to undue pain and discomfort.

Regarding duclaws, if they are removed when the puppies are 3 or 4 days old, it only costs about $10 or $15 a pup. That's one reason they should be done then; the other is that it is less invasive and painful for them at that time.

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I waited too long for the duclaws. But I'll have to bite the bullet and get both done. Claws * neutering. I guess I dread dealing w/the cone as much as anything else. Nevermind the worrying.

Okay - as luck would have it I have found a duclaw on the right forepaw of my Calli. She was spayed at 9 weeks at the Humane Society so having it removed at that time is out. I really don't want to have to put her under.

My question is - since it is not on the hindquarters - can she live with it - and if so - should I clip it as I do the other nails? I have only just noticed it in the past week but I am guessing that like with all nails I should start clipping this one. Although since this is already curled - I am guess that I should start slowy to drive the quick back up to the curve?

Thanks, Brad. I guess Wes doesn't have dewclaws.

I thought dewclaws were the little black pads on the back of the knees. What are THOSE?

Well - I guess Calli solved all my problems today herself. I went to clip her toenails as usual - and this time - I went to clip the dewclaw. Where is the dewclaw? - I know I saw it there this week - I JUST found it and it was stressing me out a little! - Yesterday I showed it to my husband, my in-laws, etc. Well - at some point today she must have ripped it out! The good news is that she didn't bleed to death. It looks okay - I will keep my eyes on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. But I guess that takes care of that!

My breeder told me that's exactly why they are removed - because there is a danger of them snagging on something, being ripped and causing pain and infection!

• 1 month later...

Are dewclaws on all four paws? Are they different than that black pad that's a little higher up than the paw? Are they on the inside of the paw/leg, the outside, the back?

Thanks...

Just adding my two cents about dewclaws... :D

Butch and Sundance had their dewclaws removed soon after they were born, or so we thought....One of Butchs' rear dewclaws "grew back", or so it sould seem. It doesn't always have a full nail on it, I watch it very closely. It appears that it wasn't cut off properly by the breeder. :(

When he was nuetered, at about 7 mos., I inquired about having it removed and the vet advised me that it would be major surgery, due to the fact that the nail and the muscle around it were now attached to the "ankle" bone. I declined the surgery, this plus the "cone" were not sounding all that appealing at the time or any time for that matter.

Since that time (he is now a year and 5 mos.) he once pulled it almost completely off. I took him to the vet had it cleaned up and wrapped - I know it was driving him crazy and I am certain it was painful. He hasn't had any further problems, but again, I watch it closely and keep it cut very short (much to his disliking!). :mad:

My opinion would obviouly be to have them off at birth. Unless he continues to have problems with it, I won't put him through the surgery.

Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one. - Anonymous

Guest osuvicki

I learn so much from these boards on the care, feeding, training and what to expect of Grace. Thank you. I wish they had been around when I was raising kids! I even understand now why she insists on walking the raised concrete curb along the creek....her own form of agility training.... And just today I was reading the forms from the breeder's vet and noticed duclaw removal...and had no idea what it meant! Now I do.....lol

It's true - I never would have even thought about the duclaw! As luck would have it - Calli did NOT get an infection but the duclaw is growing back so I will have to clip it and keepit short. It is on her front paw and I have read that that is a better place to have it. But I am not having it removed. I don't want to have to go through the major surgery, put her under, etc. And because she is a rescue - and was spayed at 9 weeks at the Humane Society - that was out of the question too. At least now we are aware of it and can deal with it. One thing we wouldn't have been aware without this great board!

I have never heard of them being removed. I don't even know if Piper has hers but I know Lucy had hers her whole adult life and so did my Lhasas growing up. I learn something new every day.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Archived