CairnTalk

floppy ear

Guest ravenswood

Guest ravenswood

I purchased my pup yesterday her ears were erect. she is 10 weeks old. this morning her right ear was down and floppy is has remained that was all day. Is this normal and will it correct itself? This is my first time in this forum. I hope my question isn't to naive. thank you

Farily normal and usually does self-correct. Some ears come up early and stay up. Some take a very long time to come up, and then stay up. Others go up and down like a yo-yo. Most of the time (not always of course) they are up by six months or so. I personally enjoy the one-up one-down look while it lasts. They look so jaunty.

normal_ears.jpg

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest ravenswood
Farily normal and usually does self-correct. Some ears come up early and stay up. Some take a very long time to come up, and then stay up. Others go up and down like a yo-yo. Most of the time (not always of course) they are up by six months or so.  I personally enjoy the one-up one-down look while it lasts. They looks so jaunty.

• 2 months later...

I have an additional question related to floppy ear. My pup is 7 months old and still her ears are floppy. Are there any remedies to correct this? At one time I had heard of inserting stiffeners into the inside of the ear to 'train' the ear to stand up. Has anyone heard of this or tried it successfully?

Brad, what a cutie pie and indeed those ears are rather jaunty! It's good to be different.

I don't know much on this subject so I'll bow to the more knowledgeable folks.

tjlindsay, that stiffener thing sounds scarey!

Guest Tototoo

Toto's ears did the up and down thing for quite some time and then around 10 mon. they seem like they are up permanetly. I just think that puppy ear cartilidge is really soft and can't support it all the time. As to the "ear holder uppers" I really think it would be more trouble then its worth and a real pain for the pup. Chances are he would just rip it off any way. I would suggest just let nature take care of itself. Keeping in mind that you don't want to muff the ears to much cause it can break the cartilidge in there. We had a friend with a collie pup that that happened to and it ended her show dog career. Truthfully I miss the one up one down look.

K

This morning Bella is 8 weeks and 6 days old, and it was the FIRST day of one ear up, one ear down. Previously, both ears had been down unless her head was tilted back. I think it's her right ear that was up.

Guest Lynn Rider

I have a two year old Cairn, whom we rescued. We have had him two months and his ears have been down since he was has been in the program and with us. Just in the last few days his right ear has been popping up and staying for 30 minutes or longer. Will his ears ever go up permanently?

Guest girliejr

Jack had the cutest floppy ears when he was a baby! He finally had the one up one 1/2 up thing going on around 9 or 10 months. Finally by about a year old, he had both ears straight up. He is two and a half now, and every now and then he will look at me with that one up one half up cute little face and it takes me back to his puppy years! Very cute! :P

Guest karina

Hello.

My cairn had the floppy ear problem and we fixed it very simply: we sello-taped the tip of the ear so it stood in the right position. The dog didn't mind. In a couple of days the cartilage "rearanges" and the ear stood by itself. This technique is quite often used with dobermanns.

Karina

Archived