CairnTalk

Dogs 101

Hagar

Since it doesn't involve Cairns ( at least not yet), I thought I'd mention it here.

I ran across a new show on the Animal Planet channel. It's called "Dogs 101" and gives basic information on different breeds of dogs. There seem to be about 4 or 5 showings of each episode, so check your local listings for times. I TIVO'd it so I can watch it when I have a little extra time.

The segments I saw average about 10 minutes and start with basic information about a breed, like size, temperment etc. and a basic summary of the origin of the breed. Then it moves to a family with the breed and they discuss the breed a bit and show the breed in action.

The last part of the segment gives basic information about a breed. It covers size and temperment, common health problems, ease or difficulty of training, exercise needs, suitability around children etc.

It's pretty basic information, but looks like a good place for people to familiarize themselves with a breed they may be considering.

I haven't seen anything on Cairns yet, but the latest program info I have says the show will be doing Westies on Nov. 8th and 9th. Since Westies outnumber our Cairns, but are similar in a lot of ways, it should be an interesting segment.

• 1 month later...

I love this show! While I'm still looking out for the segment on Cairns, I still enjoy learning all kinds of information about other breeds.

Sparky Jones & Scout Jones
ShannasCamera112-1-1.jpgSparkyScout-3-1.jpgScoutFloor-2.jpg

I enjoyed what few episodes there were. Unfortunately these channels start out with a good show and have only a few shows. Then they rerun the same few episodes over and over for the next year or so. There are a lot of other breeds that weren't featured, so it's not like they ran out of material.

It looks like the segment on the Westie is about as close as we're going to get to Cairns. Darn it!

There are apparently only 2 episodes of another show called "Cats 101". Since I had a Maine Coon cat for about 17 years, I'll definitely watch that one just to see how close to the breed it is.

Archived