CairnTalk

Learning experience

Marty & Sherry

As I have posted earlier we have Mac (the Westie) in Rally training & Emmy in Conformation class. Our local kennel club had their annual dog show this weekend so our instructors "volunteered" us for steward duty. Sherry was going to ring steward for confirmation but they ended up not needing her. I, on the other hand, got to keep time for the Rally events both Saturday & Sunday. I don't think I could have had a better learning experience. I helped set up & take down the courses, kept time of course, was able to inspect all the judging forms & books and had unlimited access to the judges when they weren't occupied. I was also able to very closely watch all the dogs & handlers both good & not so good. I saw a lot of what to do's & what not to do's. I also talked to many of the handlers about their experiences. For anyone considering taking on any event I would highly recommend volunteering as a steward. Great experience & the clubs can use you!

There's a national Steward's association, to which I used to belong. I loved it because I got to steward at lots of shows. Saw lots of different breeds of dogs, met lots of judges, and generally had a great, social time. I even got to steward at a non-AKC rare breed show once, which was a real learning experience.

Archived