CairnTalk

When to unleash?

Bonnie

I would like help with thoughts about letting our 4 month old pup off leash here at home. We live down a private lane that is heavily wooded, but our yard is not fenced. He has never been off leash, and we would like to know when he can be trusted off leash with us in the yard. We will start obedience training next week, so should we wait till he obeys more commands than just "no", and "good boy."

[Duplicate post in Open Forum deleted. -admin]

First off, I can't profess to be an expert on Cairns... I do however know a bit about training and the terrier "nature". Personally, I wouldn't be letting your little guy off leash until he can and does do recalls consistently on an extra long lead... or even a long rope. The problem is that it only takes one escape and your puppy could sustain injury, become lost or worse. I have heard from some people, who's Cairns have very strong prey drives, that even once the dog is an adult... they never suggest having the dog off leash unless in a fully fenced area. They are just such quick little guys and with their inquisitive natures I vote that an ounce of prevention is superior to the pound of cure.

Archived